Miralem Pjanić (41 Viewers)

MikeM

Footballing Hipster celebrating 4th place with Tuz
Sep 21, 2008
Ya that interview about Can wanting to play in front of the defense got me thinking...
Basically. If he has so many teams to choose from and he comes to Juve, then we told him something. It can't be just wages. He would have got comparable somewhere else.

If we are intent on playing 2 man with Pjanic-Can then why linked with so many other CMs?

If we are intent on playing 3 man with Pjanic-Can-_____ then why linked with strikers to replace Higuain? Then where does Dybala play?

It doesn't add up that well.

Monty

Tuz Royalty
May 2, 2017
You are not talking about the fake quotes, are you?
They turned out to be fake? Either way I've watched him for quite a few games with Liverpool and he is definitley more a CDM than a B2B, slotting in to RB or CB when needed

- - - Updated - - -

Basically. If he has so many teams to choose from and he comes to Juve, then we told him something. It can't be just wages. He would have got comparable somewhere else.

If we are intent on playing 2 man with Pjanic-Can then why linked with so many other CMs?

If we are intent on playing 3 man with Pjanic-Can-_____ then why linked with strikers to replace Higuain? Then where does Dybala play?

It doesn't add up that well.
I reckon , the club will just go after market opportunites (buy or sell) how and when they present themselves giving allegri as many options as possible

maybe we reach a point where we can alternate between a lop sided 442 with 3 CMs, a 4-2-3-1 with 2 Cm's and Dybala, and a 4-3-3 with 3 CM's and no dybala

Maddy

Oracle of Copenhagen
Jul 10, 2009
They turned out to be fake? Either way I've watched him for quite a few games with Liverpool and he is definitley more a CDM than a B2B, slotting in to RB or CB when needed
He is very versatile. He can fill any role in a 3-man midfield. He'll most liekly play a controlling box to box midfielder (Perhaps similar to Khedira's role in Real under Mou) or as a defensive midfielder and then moving Pjanic forward.

I don't for a second believe the rumours of selling Pjanic - unless soemone is ready to splash soem serious money: 80+ million.

Xperd

Allegrophobic Infidel
Jun 1, 2012
Ya that interview about Can wanting to play in front of the defense got me thinking...
Its not even an interview.

Its a report that said Can left Pool because he wanted to play in front of defense and that he had disagreements with Klopp about where he should play.

Maddy

Oracle of Copenhagen
Jul 10, 2009
I see it quite differently. Imo Can will become a goalscoring box to box mid. I think his qualities are best suited for that kind of role.
By goalscoring box to box. What role do you mean? The LCM (Pogba/SMS role) or the RCM (Khedira role). If the latter I agree, the former I strongly disagree. He has too many defensive and physical qualities to be prioritised as a attacking box to box midfielder.

Jun 6, 2015
By goalscoring box to box. What role do you mean? The LCM (Pogba/SMS role) or the RCM (Khedira role). If the latter I agree, the former I strongly disagree. He has too many defensive and physical qualities to be prioritised as a attacking box to box midfielder.
Definitely more Sami than Pogba. I think he can be an allrounder who scores plenty of goals while still taking care of his defensive duties.

Monty

Tuz Royalty
May 2, 2017
Definitely more Sami than Pogba. I think he can be an allrounder who scores plenty of goals while still taking care of his defensive duties.
dunno...even in a free scoring liverpool side he only got a handful of goals...he averages around 3 goals/ 3 assists a season

Maddy

Oracle of Copenhagen
Jul 10, 2009
:tup:

It'll be interesting to see if he replaces Matuidi or Khedira, or perhaps even both in 2-man midfield with Pjanic :scared:

But one thing is certain when we browse thru our midfield options, we so need another CL caliber CM. Khedira and Matuidi ain't gonna be enough.

- - - Updated - - -

dunno...even in a free scoring liverpool side he only got a handful of goals...he averages around 3 goals/ 3 assists a season
That has more to do with Liverpool's playing style: direct balls to the three forwards and straight towards goal; midfielders are rarely in scoring positions and Emre Can has been playing a controlling midfield role in Liverpool. He scored more than any other midfielder last season - apart from Coutinho.

MikeM

Footballing Hipster celebrating 4th place with Tuz
Sep 21, 2008
That has more to do with Liverpool's playing style: direct balls to the three forwards and straight towards goal; midfielders are rarely in scoring positions. He scored more than any other midfielder last season - apart from Coutinho.
This is why I hold hope that it was just Klopp's system that he didn't like playing B2B in. The three forwards are up the pitch so quick, you smash it to them and it's in the net before you cross half. But you have to still sprint to cross half because if they lose the ball you have to counter press like a mad man.

I mean obviously it works to some degree but I could see a CM uncomfortable in so much space. Especially Can who is a bigger CM.

This is also the reason I think he doesn't get rated by some people. I think he has clear talent but he can look really bad when asked to play #8 under Klopp.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 40)