Miralem Pjanić (154 Viewers)

Dominic

Jan 30, 2004
Still worried about Pjanic. Need more bodies in midfield to get the best out of him. He's too far away from the strikers and he leaves too many gaps in midfield the way he is playing now.

v1rtu4l

Mar 4, 2008
He's not a player who will control games. His tendency to disappear for long parts is a characteristic to him. He's an amazing complementary player to any midfield well constructed though.
at first it sounded about right ... actually it reminded me at beginning of our last season or the recent conclusion about pogba playing for man united and then you spoil it all and claim pogba would have been better, even though he is just as uninfluential.

With Pogba he would have been perfect.

But he cant be the reference of the midfield.
pogba would have done more dribbles and shot from afar, that is correct, but since they defended hard he would not have much room to do that anyways. the only thing he would have done differing to pjanic is instead of pjanics sideway passes where we at least kept possession pogba would have tried to dribble one opponent after another until it is too much and he loses the ball. you can decide what you want to have, flashy dribble and lose the ball or boring sideways passes.

i do not really see us playing much better with marchisio back, since he is no pirlo either, the only hope i would have is having marchisio in cdm and lemina as box to box, because we sorely lacked somebody playing between the lines.

Pogba still had enough raw talent to spark things in a match, even when playing poorly. This guy goes completely into his shell.
as evident in his last games for manchester united ? he definitely did well to prevent those three losses while mourinho did everything possible just to make him perform in whatever position might be best for him.

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
Yeah, Pogba was really sparking things when we started last season with 12 points in 10 matches.
But he is right tho, Pogba was a decisive moments player. He could be quiet and stuck a whole game (tho physically imposing even in bad games), but he could make it up last second by some freak creative play (ala assist to Tevez in that narrow Milan victory) or just some clutch random goal he was fond of. But most importantly his ability to just break pattern by bringing the ball up from midfield with skill and strength is what's lacking the most from our midfield right now. Everyone stood around today waiting for someone to do something individually like that, but they weren't capable.

Skickat från min SM-G930F via Tapatalk

v1rtu4l

Mar 4, 2008
But he is right tho, Pogba was a decisive moments player.
being decisive when you have a good working midfield is not that much of a speciality, is it ? pjanic probably would have been able to do more if there was somebody playing trequartista or just off the strikers, but we did not have anybody there.

He could be quiet and stuck a whole game (tho physically imposing even in bad games), but he could make it up last second by some freak creative play (ala assist to Tevez in that narrow Milan victory) or just some clutch random goal he was fond of. But most importantly his ability to just break pattern by bringing the ball up from midfield with skill and strength is what's lacking the most from our midfield right now. Everyone stood around today waiting for someone to do something individually like that, but they weren't capable.
so you think his individual class would enable him to take the ball at the centre circle and drive forward to get into shooting positions ? sorry, but that would not happen against a palermo that basically defended with all men. if Pogba can't do that against watford or other english teams that are way worse in closing down space and defending, he is not going to do it against super defensive palermo. he would have to get the ball in a dangerous position in the first place, probably 30 metres from goal, but that was something we did not achieve in the first place. happy memories are fun and all but do not negate the circumstances under which those goals from pogba came.

you might also check against what teams his goals came (to help your memory: genoa, torino, carpi, sampdoria, chievo, palermo and ac milan that finished 7th that year). i fail to see how his strong skills helped us against other teams competing for the title like inter, lazio or napoli, because he did not do shit there. if we were talking about higuain you would be calling him a big game choker, because he only scored against scrub teams, but since he is flash pogbarf he suddenly is called decisive. he was very decisive today as well, because he scored the 4th goal against leicester ... what would manchester have done without him ? they risked only winning by a 3 goal margin.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
But he is right tho, Pogba was a decisive moments player. He could be quiet and stuck a whole game (tho physically imposing even in bad games), but he could make it up last second by some freak creative play (ala assist to Tevez in that narrow Milan victory) or just some clutch random goal he was fond of. But most importantly his ability to just break pattern by bringing the ball up from midfield with skill and strength is what's lacking the most from our midfield right now. Everyone stood around today waiting for someone to do something individually like that, but they weren't capable.

I don't disagree with what you are saying here. Although I think a guy like Vidal/Naingollan complements Pjanic better.

But even in this very poor match from Pjanic, he still lofted a superb ball to Higuain that almost resulted in a goal. He's a player of moments. What he needs to work on is making those moments more frequent. He looked like he had turned a corner last season with his consistency issues, after very inconsistent play through his first few Roma seasons... Hopefully once he gets fully integrated into this Juve side, he'll figure things out.

Like Higuain, he's really quite wasted when we play with the tactics and style we used today.

Dominic

Jan 30, 2004
I don't disagree with what you are saying here. Although I think a guy like Vidal/Naingollan complements Pjanic better.

But even in this very poor match from Pjanic, he still lofted a superb ball to Higuain that almost resulted in a goal. He's a player of moments. What he needs to work on is making those moments more frequent. He looked like he had turned a corner last season with his consistency issues, after very inconsistent play through his first few Roma seasons... Hopefully once he gets fully integrated into this Juve side, he'll figure things out.

Like Higuain, he's really quite wasted when we play with the tactics and style we used today.
Yes he is a player of moments, so we need to let him focus on his strengths. He won't impose play in midfield, so just shield him from it and let him move into the positions he can actually do some damage from.

Akshen

Aug 27, 2010
I think the problem is different, imo we have no stability in the midfield. Every game is played by different setup of players who are new to each other and they dont understand others playing style. Rotation is ok but we will never get the best of our players if they wont get constant playing time. For me players like Dybala, Higuain, Pjanic, Alex Sandro and Dani Alves shouldnt be rested unless they really need it, as they are key players for us.

InterMerda

Feb 9, 2016
I think the problem is different, imo we have no stability in the midfield. Every game is played by different setup of players who are new to each other and they dont understand others playing style. Rotation is ok but we will never get the best of our players if they wont get constant playing time. For me players like Dybala, Higuain, Pjanic, Alex Sandro and Dani Alves shouldnt be rested unless they really need it, as they are key players for us.
I agree partially. Our midfield looks disjointed, IMO we lack a runner, someone who will run and show up for a pass. Our players have been to lazy and static, they need to move around more. Can't wait til Marchisio is back, he will give us the needed stability we lack although another midfielder is a must.

It'd be interesting to see a midfield like this:

Pjanic--------Lemina
-------Marchisio

Sami is WC but he is way too one-dimensional so he's not suited to certain type of games.

v1rtu4l

Mar 4, 2008
Yes he is a player of moments, so we need to let him focus on his strengths. He won't impose play in midfield, so just shield him from it and let him move into the positions he can actually do some damage from.
problem is, even when he was in a position to do damage from he opted to do a useless sideways pass. he had the ball at the edge of the box and instead of shooting he opted to do a useless pass to headless chicken johny square

- - - Updated - - -

I agree partially. Our midfield looks disjointed, IMO we lack a runner, someone who will run and show up for a pass. Our players have been to lazy and static, they need to move around more. Can't wait til Marchisio is back, he will give us the needed stability we lack although another midfielder is a must.

It'd be interesting to see a midfield like this:

Pjanic--------Lemina
-------Marchisio

Sami is WC but he is way too one-dimensional so he's not suited to certain type of games.
true and true

OP
zizinho

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013
  • Thread Starter #1,535

exactly this. Pjanic cant do it, he has other qualities, so the team will have to play different now. i have a feeling we are still adjusting to a gameplan without Pogba as we were heavily dependent on him last year, which is why we struggle at times this season. once Allegri finds the right formula we will look much better than so far

Suns

Release clause?
    May 22, 2009
    I like that we've given him Pogba's free role on the left and not the regista role. He's obviously not going to play the way Pogba did but he's for sure going to bring his own brand of football to the position.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 150)