Milan move in on Gilardino (1 Viewer)

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
Milan move in on Gilardino
Sunday 8 August, 2004

The future of Alberto Gilardino hangs in the balance as Milan now join the fray, but his agent believes it’ll be a last minute deal whatever the destination.

“We haven’t heard of any contact with Milan,” maintained representative Francesco Romano after the rumour emerged this morning.

“Gilardino is in training with the Under-21 side and is currently concentrating only on the Olympics. From next week we will begin to consider our options.”

The Parma striker has made it clear on numerous occasions that he favours a switch to Roma and even stated he felt “60 per cent a Giallorossi player already,” but his £16m price-tag is too steep for the cash-strapped Capital club.

Juventus had also been heavily linked with the 22-year-old, especially after their move for Adrian Mutu collapsed on Friday, but a new theory is emerging over this weekend.

Newspapers suggest that Milan will bid for Gilardino following the continuing injury worries of Pippo Inzaghi, although a move is more likely in January than the summer.

Parma director Luca Baraldi continues to insist that the star striker will not be sold for any price, but few believe that is the case, especially with Gilardino’s public call to Roma.

“Anything could happen,” added his agent Romano. “Roma could put the pressure on, just as Juventus could revive their interest. He is an intelligent lad with a contract tying him to Parma until 2006. In any case, we must wait for the end of the Olympics before taking steps.”

Milan’s other option to replace the increasingly troubled Inzaghi would be River Plate hitman Maxi Lopez, who is also a target for several Premiership sides.

Meanwhile, Parma aren’t doing terribly well without Gilardino, as they were thumped 3-0 in a friendly at Betis Seville. Ex-Cagliari forward Dario Silva bagged a brace before Navas completed the rout.

Roma are also struggling, albeit with what is practically the youth team, holding FC Tokyo to a 0-0 draw in the opening match of their Japanese tour. The woodwork saved the young Giallorossi outfit three times, but new signing Philippe Mexes continued to impress

Buy on AliExpress.com

baggio

Jun 3, 2003
Honestly, at this rate Gila will turn out to be a flash in the pan, imo. Too many people jumping on to the bandwagon, hes too young, gotta see him for another season, before seeing what he's really worth.

Vinman

2013 Prediction Cup Champ
Jul 16, 2002
I knew Milan would make a move like this- Pippo aint coming back no time soon........ I have a feeling that they will either get Gila or Mutu

Art^

StrikerMania Champ 2004
Jan 11, 2003
They got Crespo and JDT to support Sheva. And offcourse Inzaghi. So i doubt they get him.

Putting Crespo and JDT on the bench at the same time would be catastrophical.

And if Milan had to sign Gila, then i would rather have him go there, then to Roma. Because i see Milan more superios than us, we just need to fight for CL places.

Len

Feb 13, 2004
Moggi should quickly do something about it.....if we miss out on Gila, then get Mutu...what about Zlatan? Are we still linked with him?

Dan

Back & Quack
Mar 9, 2004
Zlatan agreed to stay with ajax for one more year. we REALLY should of got mutu on loan then bought zlatan.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Actually, I think Milan would stifle his career -- though not ruin it.

Doesn't matter for now anyway, as apparently Gila signed an extension with Parma:

http://it.sports.yahoo.com/040811/25/2nuh.html

Well, I was among the many holding out hopes of him showing up in a Juve kit this season... but maybe later. I am much happier knowing he's at Parma (cool team, a lot of 1st team play) than at Roma or Milan.

Ferrari^M

Sep 3, 2002
How many players do they need?

BTW they told me that Gillardino is a Piedmontese, not that this is extremely important, but it could influence him to coming in Juve, if we ever make a bid of course...

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Whether or not Gila is Piemontese, he's reportedly been a life-long Juve fan. But all of this is moot for a while at least.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)