OP
swag

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
  • Thread Starter #21
    ++ [ originally posted by Maresca78 ] ++
    you just have to take a look at Tutto Sport.. this a turin based newspaper, and the first 5-6 pages are only for juve..;)
    Coming from Torino, it's one of the reasons I like that paper over, say, La Gazzetta dello Sport. :D

But I could also do without all of the Serie B Torino coverage a little myself. ;)

Buy on AliExpress.com

denco

Superior Being
    Jul 12, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by swag ] ++
    Milanistas can humor my perceptions here...

Now sports journalists always take liberties with language, trying to sound more dramatic than the situation ever warrants. (Hey -- it's hard to make those 0-0 draws between Chievo and Bologna sound exciting all the time.) And it's pretty easy for a juventino like myself to claim there's a biased press against us. But I've noticed a trend all this season...

Everytime Milan gains a few points on Juve, the headlines are: "Milan slashes lead", "Milan cuts Juve lead in half", "Milan's fire up the table shoots flames licking Juve's fat ass", and ridiculously overwrought stuff like that. And when Juve regains the same amount of points, the headlines run along the lines of, "Milan slips up", "Unlucky Milan drops points to Juve", or "Milan valiantly goes down fighting to proud Bologna, and undeserving Juve takes advantage of lowly Atalanta". Crap like that.

It's rarely about Juve ... it's often focused on Milan. As if Juve are just passive actors in Milan's media play here.

Which begs the following questions:

a) Is there a general media favoritism for Milan over Juve?

b) If a) is true, is that perhaps because, oh, maybe Berlusconi owns something like 90% of the Italian media?

c) Is this just another instance of the pro-Real Madrid/Barca/Milan/ManU/Arsenal sportswriter cartel, and Juve has always ranked little better than 2nd tier in this list?

You know the list -- where a great number of sports journalist monkeys with a pen or microphone act as if the world was cheated if one of their first-tier list teams doesn't win the CL?

Let the conspiracy theories fly! Rant on... ;)
    I dont know the rest of the media bias as i dont read Italina papers but from your examples, it seems to me that the media do not want to see a team run away with the title and would like to see it won closely
    It would happen everywhere as in England almost everyone hopes Chelsea slips not because they hate them but at least to give other teams a chance to make the league more interesting

But I have to say if Juve were playing briliantly week in week out with outstanding performances from players playing brilliantly maybe just maybe the press coverage would be more favourable but to be playing like we do and be leading by that much can be hard to take for neutrals

OP
    swag

swag

L'autista
    Administrator
    Sep 23, 2003
  • Thread Starter #23
    Good theory, denco. I'll buy the "create conflict" -- or more appropriately "create the impression of tension" -- theory of journalism.

Dec 27, 2003
    Well, since unlike the majority here I almost exclusively read Italian sports papers, I shall give my essentially Italian-centered perspective on this topic.

My thesis is that Milan and Juve are criticised more or less equally by the medias and more fiercely than all other serie A teams, and quite rightly so. First off though I’d like to clarify a point regarding Berlusconi’s hold on Italian medias. While this is an acknowledged fact as regards private TV channels, it really isn’t when it comes to sports newspapers. The Gazzetta dello Sport, though based in Milan and though it traditionally gives more coverage to the two Milanese teams, is owned by the FIAT group, as are the two other main daily sports papers (Corriere dello Sport and Tuttosport) and the Guerin Sportivo, which is by far the most influential football weekly in Italy.

Secondly, things need to be put back into their historical perspective. Juve hasn’t always been Italy’s darling. Up until the early/mid 70’s, Milan and Inter were undisputedly the most supported teams in Italy, essentially because they had put Italian football on the map following their European successes in the 60’s. But as you may know, that triumphant era was followed by a prolonged period of dearth on the international front (both at club and NT levels) which was finally interrupted with Juve’s UEFA Cup win in 77. Not only did Juventus restore some pride, but it actually gave birth to a proper Renaissance of Italian football, by becoming the first team ever to win all 3 European Cups in the following years and by laying the foundations of the 1982 World champion squadra. Quite logically and also because of Inter and especially Milan’s demise, it quickly became the most popular team in Italy too, and a highly respected one, because not only could it win but it could do it with style (Tardelli, Boniek, Platini, Rossi yada yada).

The 80’s were the years of Italy’s economic boom, and the all-dominating FIAT (then the 1st car manufacturer in Europe - how times have changed…) with its all-winning football team Juventus were very strong symbols of that thriving era. Football was also a lot more simple, and despite living in a world that was hardly comparable to that of the man in the street, a charismatic character like Gianni Agnelli (or Moratti’s father Angelo or Rizzoli before him) was a figure the journalists could much more easily relate to and approach than the multitude of vice-presidents, managers and football agents we see today. To make a long story short, Juve was an hegemon that could gather and rely on the general consensus of the medias in order to rule supreme.

20 years on, the situation is very different. Apart from the obvious economic decline of Italy (and it’s no use kidding ourselves : politics, the economy and football are very much intertwined in the Peninsula), we have a Milan-Juventus duopoly that - sad but true - seems to consider itself vested with some sort of divine blessing that makes it untouchable for us mere mortals. The revolution took place at the end of the 80’s, with the advent of Berlusconi’s Milan, and it has then been copied, albeit in a somewhat more complex way, by Juventus. Nick is right in saying that the doping trial has greatly damaged Juventus and its relations with the press. And of course today’s Juve, despite still winning consistently, is hardly as attractive as its 1996-98 counterpart, let alone Platini, Scirea and co’s Juve, so this probably is a factor too. But I think the essential reasons for today’s mediatic « unfriendliness » go much deeper than that.

Indeed one should ask himself the following question : who represents Juventus today ? Who speaks for the club ? Giraudo ? Bettega ? Moggi ? Assuming that the answer is Moggi, do we really want to compare this guy to Gianni Agnelli ? Surely, the latter may have had his own snags, but hey, we’re talking about a man who originates from possibly the most important family of Italian industrialists ever, a man who has shaped a relevant share of the country’s history for about 50 years and who despite this or maybe precisely because of this never fell short from honouring his position as chairman of Juventus, and that includes maintaining decent relations with the media, who ulimately are the bridge between the team and the everyday tifoso.

Now, Moggi, who is he ? I’ll tell you who he is : an uninspiring ex-station master (seriously) who thanks to some obscure contacts got catapulted into the business of football, built and empire and now sees himself as some sort of sanctity, so much that he (thinks he) can afford to treat journalists like Padovano treats women’s shoes, i.e. by strictly using them for self-gratification. "If I feel like answering I will answer. Maybe I will talk crap though because I think you’re stupid enough to buy it anyway. If I don’t feel like answering, I won’t, and if at some point I realize you’re putting up a funny face I’ll ignore you". This basically is the Moggi motto. Mind you, Galliani, the ex TV antennas retailer from Monza turned Fininvest CEO, is hardly better. Unlike Moggi he might display a shining Berlusconesque smile, but ask him a question that is just a little bit challenging or simply pull your tongue out of his bottom for a second and he will furiously storm out of there faster than Adrian Mutu on speed. I’ve seen him do this repeatdely : just who exactly does he think he is ???

To sum up, football teams have always represented a world that is out of reach for most common people. But while a club in the 60’s, 70’s and 80’s was still just that, a football club, and whereas it was run by one figure who still managed to at least appear human and considerate towards the fans, today’s big clubs are multinationals run by unaccountable figures that are merely there to do just that : run a multinational company. Ultimately, I believe it is no coincidence that Inter receive a more lenient coverage than Milan and Juventus. Apart from the fact that their perennial curse and suicidal tendencies inspire more sympathy, they are run pretty much the way teams were run 20 years ago, through the easy to identify (for good and for worse) and accessible figure of Moratti.

Professional football keeps taking more and more distance with its fans, because it believes that it can do without them - and sadly it is right : who cares about the peanuts attendance figures bring you when broadcasting rights alone will get you 50 million euros a year ? So by shooting on the self-proclaimed and self-absorbed new élites of the Beautiful Game, the medias are only reverberating the growing disillusion of the left-out masses.

Rami

The Linuxologist
    Dec 24, 2004
    ++ [ originally posted by Kaiser Franco ] ++
    Professional football keeps taking more and more distance with its fans, because it believes that it can do without them - and sadly it is right : who cares about the peanuts attendance figures bring you when broadcasting rights alone will get you 50 million euros a year ? So by shooting on the self-proclaimed and self-absorbed new élites of the Beautiful Game, the medias are only reverberating the growing disillusion of the left-out masses.
    Great conclusion man :thumb:...sad but true :( Totally agreed

OP
    swag

swag

L'autista
    Administrator
    Sep 23, 2003
  • Thread Starter #32
    There's that new defensive midfielder for the Argentina NT again...

OP
    swag

swag

L'autista
    Administrator
    Sep 23, 2003
  • Thread Starter #33
    ++ [ originally posted by Kaiser Franco ] ++Professional football keeps taking more and more distance with its fans, because it believes that it can do without them - and sadly it is right : who cares about the peanuts attendance figures bring you when broadcasting rights alone will get you 50 million euros a year ? So by shooting on the self-proclaimed and self-absorbed new élites of the Beautiful Game, the medias are only reverberating the growing disillusion of the left-out masses.
    Btw, another vote for a great post, Kaiser. And I'll follow your intentions here to continue debate... though this certainly takes things in a different, but still very interesting, direction.

I still think the media kiss a lot of club ass. Break out the Blistex, apply liberally, and try not to chaff too much. I don't think they're part of the growing fan disillusion -- which certainly exists. One critical reason is that they require access for their livelihoods.

The same is true of political reporters in the U.S. who cover the goings on in the White House -- if they pull punches and mince words, they can expect to be blacklisted and uninvited to any future press conference or media event of note.

Which I feel, in turn, has made much of the media lap dogs of the new élites of the Beautiful Game. And the disillusioned masses see them more as part of the problem rather than as part of the solution.

Paid-off-Ref

Dec 16, 2004
    ++ [

Actually we are talking about more or less than 100 million euros today.

Desmond

Jul 12, 2002
    Something to note though...
    ++ [ originally posted by swag ] ++
    "Milan slips up", "Unlucky Milan drops points to Juve", or "Milan valiantly goes down fighting to proud Bologna, and undeserving Juve takes advantage of lowly Atalanta".
    Points like these are often a more accurate reflection of our performances than if the same things were to be said of Milan.In fact,they have been true a good number of times.

Dec 27, 2003
    Swag,

In fact I agree with you that the vast majority of (Italian) media are very much arse kissers. But this is more due to the fact that the few remaining journalists capable of chaffing the football elites are indeed kept at bay. The Mazzocchi, Galeazzi and co of Italian television will duly refrain from crossing the line of political correctness, and when they think they might be crossing it they will promptly beg for pardon (witness Mazzocchi telling Galliani two weeks ago that he was sorry for insinuating that the currently poisonous atmosphere at FIGC may be due to his holding both the presidency of the Lega and that of Milan)

Just like in America, the same attitude is of course witnessed in the country's political life. For all his complaining about the “communist” press defaming him, Berlusconi himself has never had to confront one of these alleged conspirators face to face. The only time that someone else than a suit-wearing and microphone-carrying poodle has had the chance to ask him a proper question was when he presided the European Parliament, and the Cavaliere’s elegant response was to compare the inquiring (and German!) MEP to a nazi kapo.

In today’s football shows (Domenica Sportiva, Processo del Lunedì etc), journalists heatedly argue with each other but generally turn honeyish as soon as a Moggi or a Galliani shows up. Guys like Roberto Beccantini and Gianni Mura will rarely be invited and can only voice their criticisms indirectly, i.e. through the articles they publish. And a figure like the late Gianni Brera - the greatest Italian sports journalist ever, who literally invented football literature (he coined the terms "libero", "centravanti", "fantasista" to name but a few) and who always talked the talk has yet to find a successor.

Dec 27, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by Paid-off-Ref ] ++

Actually we are talking about more or less than 100 million euros today.
    Yeah I am talking about serie A TV rights only. I seem to remember they are worth about that for Milan, Juve and Inter and reach 100 if you add the CL rights but Im not really sure. Still that's a fortune compared to what sold tickets will bring you.

Paid-off-Ref

Dec 16, 2004
    91.5 million euros from SkyItalia, 5 million extra if we finish 1st or second in the league, and an extra 4 million from Mediaset which makes 100.5 million euros just for Serie-A. You can add extra revenues from the Champions League on top af that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)