Michael Moore's letters from Iraq (1 Viewer)

xziz

Aug 30, 2004
The war in Iraq was illegal.

Bush administration lied to the world about WMD and to the US voters about the reasons of the war.

Currently Iraq is a ****ing mess.

I hope Michael Moore keeps up with the good work.

I hope John Kerry wins the elections.

xziz :down:

Desmond

Jul 12, 2002
going by the current events,it's evident that there is little between kerry and bush.

but after watching Farenheit 911 i must wonder how the americans can vote for bush with a clear concience.

la_dynamite86

Sep 24, 2004
I think that everyone has to know, what is going on today... Because else, we get manipulated by people like George Bush say very easily... I'm glad, that there are still people like Michael Moore who have a critical opinion about our "lovely George".
The discrimination against innocent people in islamic countries and these images of a world dominated by terrorists make me really sick!
And a question to everybody: WHO'S YOUR ENEMY NR1???
Everybody who thinks, that it is Iraq or sth like that...then: What have these people done to you???? -NOTHING... They do just exist and can life be a mistake?

K10

Jul 12, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Elnur_E65 ] ++
I got Fahrenheit911 as a b-day present.

Will watch it today.
Just just finished watchint it.

Pretty one sided indeed. It shows you the bad the US (Bush) has done but not the bad the Middle Easterns have done, if any that is.

Elnur_E65

Feb 21, 2004
Damn!!!!!

These stupid video drivers don't allow me watch the damn thing fullscreen on my computer!

What's the cheapest DVD player on the market?

OP

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
  • Thread Starter #32
    30$. I'm serious, you can get a new DVD player out of the shop here for some 30$.

Elnur_E65

Feb 21, 2004
    I am pissed cause my computer often freaks out when it comes to playing some DVDs...

Have to look to those portable DVD players, which look like walkmans.

ANybody tried those?

la_dynamite86

Sep 24, 2004
    I haven't got the DVD, but I've already seen the film in the cinema. It was great! It was even better then I expected and although it was a documentary film, there was a lott of funny stuff that I couldn't stop laughing. Sometimes he exaggerated a bit, but just a bit!!! But that's no reason at all to pity George Bush and his stupid system!

baggio

Jun 3, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by K10 ] ++

Just just finished watchint it.

Pretty one sided indeed. It shows you the bad the US (Bush) has done but not the bad the Middle Easterns have done, if any that is.
    Well what it shows is bad enough to even justify another side to the story.

Elnur_E65

Feb 21, 2004
    Ha ha ha...

I haven't learned a single new thing from that movie. I am surpised though that Moore spent so much time on feelings and not enough attention was given to economics. Because money rules the world.

++ [ originally posted by Elnur_E65 ] ++

Ok... :)

Bush and his team care more about economics than politics. Certainly, Iraq campaign was neither about "liberating the free people of Iraq" or "finding weapons of mass destruction". It was about oil, or the security of future oil supply to be exact.

Daily demand of oil worldwide is currently 67-69 million barrels per day. Iraq, as a second oil-rich nation in the world, is a fruitfull piece in this cake. Before the first Gulf War it was supplying 12 million barrels, which was later limited to 1 million in the framework of the "Oil for Food" program. The potential daily output though is at about 15-17 million barrels (from various sources). What Bush wants to secure is this oil. Now certainly, it belongs to the people of Iraq, but it's not that easy.

Oil companies, such as Exxon, BP, Shell, etc., when operating in developing countries, normally sign PSAs (Product sharing agreements) with local goverments. For example, BP has formed a consortium for development of Azeri-Chirag-Guneshli oilfield here in Azerbaijan. Agreement was signed in 1994 among Azerbaijani gov-t, BP, and 11 other participating oil companies. So, the oil companies invest around $30 billion over 15 years into development of this oilfield. When the oil flows in 2008 (1.2 million barrels per day), the profits will be accordingly shared among parties which invested in it. The stake of Azerbaijan government was 25%. This means that in 2008 when we start to sell oil only 25% of the profits will go to the country.

Why is this done? Because local governments neither have the money, nor technology, nor qualified staff to run projects of such a scale. So they (local gov-ts) invite oil companies to come and explore national oilfields.

That's exactly what will happen in Iraq. Tensions with European countries? Of course, French, Russian and German companies were the ones cooperating with Saddam's regime and now the American's don't want to let this go. They say "hey, we've liberated Iraq, so we'll be the ones eating fruits". It will be BP, ExxonMobil, Texaco, Hulliburton and Bechtel which will get ALL the multibillion dollar oil and civil contracts.

Just to get you an idea of how much money that is. If we take Iraq's proven reserves (supply of 12 million barrels per day). Let's say the PSA stake on average will be 40% to Iraq and 60% to the oil companies (very rarely happens, so basically a worst case scenario).

7.2 million barrels * $30 dollars per barrel = $216,000,000 of revenue per day. Let's cup operating expenses, and assume that pure profit is $180 millions per day. This makes $5.4 billion per month. $64.8 billion a year.

And that's just oil. Then you have construction of roads, factories, hospitals, airports, etc. I can't calculate that, but it's a LOT of money, which will mainly go to American companies.

On the other hand, securing a supply of 12 millon barrels per day (which is some 17% of world's output) is a very significant figure. OPEC, which controls some 40% of the market will no longer be a dominant player, especially after Azerbaijan's and Central Asian oil will start flowing in 2008- 2011. The US will eventually control world's oil supply, which will allow them to control its price and output.

So in the long-run, current Iraq campaign is economically very feasible for the United States. Bush has made a lot of mistakes- talking about spreading democracy and finding the weapons and many other things. He shouldn't have lied. But now it is too late. He can't turn around and say "Hey, I've been lying to you for 4 years, please forgive me, I won't do it again".

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)