Mauricio Isla (204 Viewers)

GrandeGigi

Sep 18, 2012
This looks like another possible RB catastrophe in Juve's recent years, Moggi bought Zebina, Capello played Blasi there, Secco had Grygera and Mellberg, Marotta so far has come up with Motta and Isla. I really have no idea how we managed to end up with Licht, was a fucking miracle.
Because unlike the rest of them, we actually finally addressed a long standing problem and spent some good money on a Right Back (Licht).
The others were just brought in on nominal fees or a free, or just players played out of position.

GrandeGigi

Sep 18, 2012
Yeah, Isla arrived for a nominal fee:D
The right back situation had been solved with Licht a season before we bought a half-share in Isla. So I was clearly talking about the list of RB failures before we actually managed to get it correct by addressing the problem and spending money on licht.

Isla isn't a right back and I'm sure that's been discussed in this thread.

Jun 13, 2007
Many people expect too much from this guy, he's a very average player. He can have some good deliveries at times and he defended well at times too. But this guy is no world beater. Licht's place is safe and secure the way I see it, and isla cannot be more useful than as a backup for us at best. Inane case, we're covered at the RWB area, what I don't understand is how last summer, we bought a DM (Asamoah) and a RWB (isla), two positions we're doing very well in when our real problem, for years might I add, is that left wing. Strange.

Nenz

Apr 17, 2008
How many people talk out of their arse on this forum? First Higuain is not a skillful forward :lol: now Isla is 'back up at best'. Please. These people are CLEARLY commenting on these players without having seen them play at their best for extended periods of time. That's why this forum has a reputation for overrating/underrating players - because so many people actually have no idea what they're talking about.

Jun 13, 2007
It doesn't matter that he used to be good for udinese, melo used to be great for fiorentina and amauri was superb for Palermo. Both and many others flopped, im judging him based on his Juve performances and he's gotten his chance here quite a few times to show if truly does have potential. And all I'm saying is he never really showed anything that would convince me he could bench licht. Just for the record. I rate licht as one of the best in the world in his position, so being benches by him isn't too bad.

I do hope he stays and proves me wrong, but at the moment I just don't see it.

Nenz

Apr 17, 2008
It doesn't matter that he used to be good for udinese, melo used to be great for fiorentina and amauri was superb for Palermo. Both and many others flopped, im judging him based on his Juve performances and he's gotten his chance here quite a few times to show if truly does have potential. And all I'm saying is he never really showed anything that would convince me he could bench licht. Just for the record. I rate licht as one of the best in the world in his position, so being benches by him isn't too bad.

Amauri and Melo's circumstances are completely different. Besides both those players had one good season each at their previous clubs, Isla strung together three good seasons at Udinese before a season ending injury which he's only just recovered from. He hasn't had a full pre-season with this squad yet either. As much as I love Lichtsteiner, Isla is much more suited to the RWB role than Licht and his crossing alone should see the two rotating throughout the season if not benching Stephan altogether.

ALC

Ohaulick
Oct 28, 2010
There's no way Isla will bench Licht. Not for any significant run of games anyways. He's a par below and not nearly as intelligent. Licht may not have the crosses but he makes the best runs out of anyone in the team and can play short passes like it's nobody's business.

Nenz

Apr 17, 2008
:agree: yeah, because Udinese and Juventus are the same thing.
What stupid logic is that? How many great players came from clubs inferior to Juventus? Amateur hour. We're not talking about Hellas fucking Verona here. Isla has been facing the exact same competition Juventus has (in a worse team) with huge success.

Do yourself a favor. When you inevitably realise you have no clue, don't resort to useless comments like the one above, just leave. Its already obvious you don't know what you're talking about

Rollie

Apr 15, 2008
marco motta 2.0
20 mio. :matri:
Oh jebus :D

Mauricio is certainly no escape goat. :stuckup:

Speaking to Isla's tough season, well, obviously not all players recover from major knee operations at the same rate. It depends on the injury, the surgery, natural healing rate/recovery, rehab... and then once the player is healthy, the team situation/playing time, confidence, etc. I'm sure most realize all of that when they sit back and think about it, my point being that we're almost certainly going to see a better Isla next year, and we'll almost certainly see him in our kit. I'd bet good money on that.

In the past, it was considered pretty typical that guys would need a full year or more after they returned to play, to really recover their previous top form (if they got that back at all). Now, a guy like Adrian Peterson, from the NFL's Minnesota Vikings, can return within something like 9 months of the operation - to some of the most violent collisions in professional sports - and really excel; he came within 9 yards of setting a new single season rushing record in his first season back. Clearly, that man is a freak.

I don't know if that example means anything to most people around here, it's extreme, and I'm not sure how many NFL fans are in the house :D But rapid recoveries similar to that are becoming much more common, and seem to make a lot of people think that with modern science, recovering from an ACL should be a snap - or, potentially, it causes people to forget just how much work is required in recovering a knee, and returning to elite competition. Medical science is amazing, but that recovery, it still aint easy, and it varies a lot depending on the individual.

Isla needs more time to demonstrate his value, he deserves another season to prove his worth. If one buys a player coming off a major injury, they obviously understand that there could be some bumps along the road. The player is still just 24 y/o, he could be a very good player for Juventus for a long time.

ALC

Ohaulick
Oct 28, 2010
What stupid logic is that? How many great players came from clubs inferior to Juventus? Amateur hour. We're not talking about Hellas fucking Verona here. Isla has been facing the exact same competition Juventus has (in a worse team) with huge success.

Do yourself a favor. When you inevitably realise you have no clue, don't resort to useless comments like the one above, just leave. Its already obvious you don't know what you're talking about
Yeah, I don't know what I'm talking about. I'm the one saying Isla on top form is three times better than Licht :howler:

I'll do myself a favor and let Licht show you how wrong you are. Watch Isla ride the bench all of next season too. Licht is the superior player.

Rollie

Apr 15, 2008

He's started 9 games, been a sub in 6 others, over the course of what, 8-9 months? So he's played less than twice a month since he got here, basically zero continuity... how can you think he's had a fair shake? The players value was set at 18M or so, that is certainly nowhere near enough time given the circumstances (purchase after an injury), and the size of the investment.

Edit: You boys arguing about Licht versus Isla, just be happy we have both. Management is attempting to build a dynasty here, a force worthy of the top competition on the continent, and we want two top class players at every position. If we get to the point where both of these players are on form, Conte will be able to really mix and match that flank, to exploit our opposition. Licht is a better defender, he's better in a 4 man defense, he's a fighter, and a great player. Isla is younger, more talented offensively, and can provide the club with a different look; having 2 players with different styles like this is good all the way around. We don't need to sell anybody to bring in two new forwards (including Llorente), having both of these players will be good for us in the short and long term.

Nzoric

Grazie Mirko
Jan 16, 2011
Yeah, I don't know what I'm talking about. I'm the one saying Isla on top form is three times better than Licht :howler:

I'll do myself a favor and let Licht show you how wrong you are. Watch Isla ride the bench all of next season too. Licht is the superior player.
You are turning into Cheesio :scared:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 204)