Mauricio Isla (154 Viewers)

Suns

Release clause?
May 22, 2009
Lichtsteiner is terrible offensively. If you want to maximize the 3-5-2, you need wingbacks who can play offense because today the only offense we have are the 2 strikers, the rest are either defenders or central midfielders. Licht is a great right back in a back 4 but I think for our team to take that next level we need someone who can offer more offensively. Now whether that's Isla or not is a different discussion but if Isla could go back to the way he played for Udinese, he'd be a starter for us.

And if we do end up playing twin towers in Llorente - Zlatan/Higauin, then forget about Lichtsteiner and his terrible crosses.

K.O.

Nov 24, 2005
Lichtsteiner is terrible offensively. If you want to maximize the 3-5-2, you need wingbacks who can play offense because today the only offense we have are the 2 strikers, the rest are either defenders or central midfielders. Licht is a great right back in a back 4 but I think for our team to take that next level we need someone who can offer more offensively. Now whether that's Isla or not is a different discussion but if Isla could go back to the way he played for Udinese, he'd be a starter for us.

And if we do end up playing twin towers in Llorente - Zlatan/Higauin, then forget about Lichtsteiner and his terrible crosses.
Could've stopped reading right there but I kept reading knowing it's you Suns. Terrible is really stretching it, he scored and provided lots of goals over the past two seasons.

I do agree Isla's crossing is significantly better than Licht. But Licht is faster and can run much more for 90 minutes.

Anyways, our RWB department shouldn't be altered next season. Licht, Isla and Padoin are great.

engireman

May 26, 2009
I love Isla when he have played in Udinese as right wing back which is very horrible for opponents players.... hope to see him as same as there at Juve in next season.

Suns

Release clause?
May 22, 2009
Could've stopped reading right there but I kept reading knowing it's you Suns. Terrible is really stretching it, he scored and provided lots of goals over the past two seasons.

I do agree Isla's crossing is significantly better than Licht. But Licht is faster and can run much more for 90 minutes.

Anyways, our RWB department shouldn't be altered next season. Licht, Isla and Padoin are great.
I love Licht, don't get me wrong. I just think that the 3-5-2 could reach its fullest potential without a guy like Licht there. He's very limited in his offense which is understandable since he's actually a defender. Especially when we're playing the smaller teams is when his limitations become very clear. He's very active in offense and is always present when we're attacking but that doesn't actually make him any good at.

Believe me, it would be hard to find a player who can replace Lichtsteiner's effort, work rate and defense but if Isla could return to being the guy he was at Udinese, I would prefer having him starting. As a wingback you really need to be a two way player and Licht lacks offense. If we were playing 4-3-3, Licht would have had help on his flank but right now he doesn't. And let's not sugar coat it, his crosses are terrible. They rarely reach a Juve player. Since his Lazio days he has always been known for delivering awful crosses.

Klin

نحن الروبوتات
May 27, 2009

Yep. Asamoah is terrible though.

Nzoric

Grazie Mirko
Jan 16, 2011
I agree. If we could combine Licht's ability to time his piercing runs and Asamoahs technicality we might have one good wing back on our hands. The issue with asamoah is that he always receives that ball standing still, when you think about it it's quite amazing how many times he beats players from those positions.

pitbull

Jul 26, 2007
I agree. If we could combine Licht's ability to time his piercing runs and Asamoahs technicality we might have one good wing back on our hands. The issue with asamoah is that he always receives that ball standing still, when you think about it it's quite amazing how many times he beats players from those positions.
We might have one good wing back? Name me three better wingbacks than Lichtstainer that actually plays in 352 or 3412 or whatever formation that contains wingbacks. Stephan may not be providing an assist and a goal every match, but he's doing a motherfucking fantastic job there. And those arguments "If Gio could find Parma form", "If Isla could find Udinese form" are not very strong, teams don't defend with 9 players in their half against Parma or Udinese.

Nzoric

Grazie Mirko
Jan 16, 2011
We might have one good wing back? Name me three better wingbacks than Lichtstainer that actually plays in 352 or 3412 or whatever formation that contains wingbacks. Stephan may not be providing an assist and a goal every match, but he's doing a motherfucking fantastic job there. And those arguments "If Gio could find Parma form", "If Isla could find Udinese form" are not very strong, teams don't defend with 9 players in their half against Parma or Udinese.
Why is it a condition that they must play in a formation with three in the back. Anyways:

Isla, Alves & Zabaleta. All og them are weaker in the defensive play, but they more than make up for it in their attacking game. Alves & Zabaleta spent a good deal of time last season playing actual wing backs btw.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 153)