Mauricio Isla (16 Viewers)

Nzoric

Grazie Mirko
Jan 16, 2011
The amount of conclusions drawn on this here forum after 1 terrible performance is shocking. It's obvious for all to see that Isla is a better wingback than Licht.

If we're drawing conclusions from yesterdays match then:

Montolivo > Pirlo
De Jong > Vidal
Nocerino > Marchisio
Robinho > Quags + Vucinic

Nardonejuve

Mar 21, 2010
I hate to be the one that says it but isla is a valuable member of this team whether its as a starter or a rotation player. Licht is obviously better ATM but we all know isla has it in him I just hope it doesn't take as long as it took quags to get there. Isla needs to play against Torino. Yes I said that right. He needs to play. He has to get back on the horse sort of speak. No one I more upset with him then himself. Last thing we need is his confidence taking a big dip. Licht won't play or atleast wont start because he's our CL man. I am rooting for him because he's a quality player. You can't single out one player because he was the baddest of the bad. The team played bad and that how we should look at it.

Nzoric

Grazie Mirko
Jan 16, 2011
I hate to be the one that says it but isla is a valuable member of this team whether its as a starter or a rotation player. Licht is obviously better ATM but we all know isla has it in him I just hope it doesn't take as long as it took quags to get there. Isla needs to play against Torino. Yes I said that right. He needs to play. He has to get back on the horse sort of speak. No one I more upset with him then himself. Last thing we need is his confidence taking a big dip. Licht won't play or atleast wont start because he's our CL man. I am rooting for him because he's a quality player. You can't single out one player because he was the baddest of the bad. The team played bad and that how we should look at it.
Good post :tup:

Jem83

maitre'd at Canal Bar
Nov 7, 2005
He needs more time. I'm not gonna conclude anything about this player yet. What I will say, though, is that so far, he hasn't proven that he deserves to be an automatic choice ahead of Lichtsteiner. He has 3 assists, which is good, but they came against some of the worst opponents we've played this season (two against Nordsjælland and one against Pescara), and I won't base my conclucions on those assists. Maybe he has it in him to become the calibre of player we all expect him to be, but so far it's Licht > Isla for me. And I'm not knee-jerking, I've never hidden the fact that I'm a huge fan of Licht. About Licht, though, it's poor that he hasn't assisted and scored more this season, but what I love about him is that he brings so much grinta to the side. He's an explosive player who fires up the rest of the team, which was exactly what was missing yesterday.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
Who said he was? Licht just doesn't cut it as a wingback, victim of the system or whatever you feel like calling it.

Isla to start next game.
Two different types of players. Lichtsteiner can play wing back, but he's 9/10 defensively and 6/10 offensively. The problem when Isla comes in is that he has to be a real offensive weapon, that is what he is there for. Because Lichtsteiner is as safe a bet as you are going to get. The team is offensively less balanced, but he's not a statue.

Raz

Nov 20, 2005
That we are DOOMED that is certain.

Love how one game brings this doomed thingy. I mean, a player can have one bad game and that's it, suddenly he should be shipped to reserves and sold asap...

Nzoric

Grazie Mirko
Jan 16, 2011
Two different types of players. Lichtsteiner can play wing back, but he's 9/10 defensively and 6/10 offensively. The problem when Isla comes in is that he has to be a real offensive weapon, that is what he is there for. Because Lichtsteiner is as safe a bet as you are going to get. The team is offensively less balanced, but he's not a statue.
6/10 offensively is stretching it, Lichtsteiner rarely, if ever, succeeds at going 1 on 1 down the line and getting a cross in behind the defender. Isla failed horribly at this yesterday, but usually he gets them all in.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
I'd say 6/10 is about right, average. Beating players on the outside is something more related to football from years gone by, you don't see so much of it now, it's more for the archetypal winger than a wing back. They should be running into space and crossing or linking.

Lichtsteiner has good offensive awareness and links fine with the midfield, if anything it's his crossing which is most disappointing.

Isla was obviously horrible yesterday, but so far he's only really impressed me in the two easiest games; Nordsjaelland and Pescara, where the team were good in destroying poor opposition. I can't judge enough to say I prefer him over Lichsteiner in the bigger games.

Nzoric

Grazie Mirko
Jan 16, 2011
That's because this is the first big game he starts, correct me if I'm wrong as I haven't been able to watch all our big matches this season. IIRC Licht started against Napoli, Inter and Chelsea twice?

Cheesio

Jul 11, 2006
Licht is lock down defender, the times he was owned by an opposition player are very rare that i can't remember one. Isla was owned by freaking Constant FFS. Most annoying thing that none of his controlls were good, needed more than one touch to control the ball every time. And let's not talk about his crosses. Licht is a proven play at the biggest stages and suggesting that he should be dropped for Isla is even more weird now than it was at the beginning of the season.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 16)