Mattia Destro - Forward - Siena/Genoa (6 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rollie

Apr 15, 2008
I tried replying to this last night but I was shattered so I'll give it another go now :D

It does come down to terminology because I really think the point he's trying to make is that the club won't just spend on a big name for the sake of it, like certain clubs in Europe, or like so many football pundits seem to be advising. Marotta did embarrass a lot of people after the mercato last summer by bringing in a lot of quality for good value, and looking back it seems like he found a good balance in the 'quantity vs quality' debate, he earned more trust from me.
:D

Beppe did manage to surprise more than a few, myself very much included, and he's earned much more trust from me - I was actually quite pissed off after last summer (although I wasn't calling for his head - I do believe in continuity - mostly just frustrated by what I considered to be his inability to prioritize. I simply could not fathom how he failed to secure a proper LB two years running - and in theory didn't like him bringing in 11+ players for a second consecutive year. I also had some worries about Conte, largely because of all the 424 talk, and his experience).

Just like any other position, GM's gotta deal with his own growth curve, though - Juventus sure isn't Sampdoria, and he'll be learning a lot as he goes, just like everybody else. My faith in Marrotta on an individual basis isn't profound at this point, but it's significantly bolstered by Conte's presence - who, after this magical season, has my utmost faith.

Perhaps he is looking at the possibility of finding a younger player who isn't that established star signing, such as Vidal last summer, who needs a small amount of refining to become that star player for Juventus? I think we all know he's pretty much the opposite of Secco when it comes to transfer fees and player contracts, and he won't just surrender €120k per week contracts to players that have had a limited career despite being in their prime. At the end of the day we'll find it difficult to define "big player" in Marotta's eyes, so it's hard to say whether he'd consider that to be a player like Džeko, who I still think would be good for the club. There are a few strikers that I rate currently despite not actually being big names in my opinion, Lewandowski, Llorente, Doumbia...
Yeah, it does seem fairly clear that he's been prioritizing youth, and being very careful with the salaries he's doling out - which is such a nice change from Secco, who was putting players like Poulsen on around 3M in wages, etc., etc. Way too many bad contracts to list them all, really. FFP largely dictates all of this, but I agree with it in theory - and because he's being careful now, we should have room to add a couple larger salaries should the opportunities arise. A club's wage structure/hierarchy is very important for sustained success.

For me, Dzeko would be outstanding, but at best it's such a huge pay cut to take, and the club just won the EPL, they're amongst the CL favorites... I guess it comes down to City - probably as much or more than Dzeko - and whether or not they buy again. I think there's a good chance we'll be going for a player who's young and on his way up, although I doubt Dortmund in particular want to do business having already unloaded Kagawa - I think Lewandowski's price tag will be heftier than we might anticipate, similar to the situation in Naples.

I suppose what I'm trying to say is that a big name isn't essential when the club can go for the player they see as the best fit, and by saying "no big name players", Marotta isn't instantly ruling out the possibility of someone with quality for Juventus. That's what I'm taking from his interviews at the moment, Conte will play a big role in the new striker I feel, so we'll see.
I agree man, the big name is not essential. It would be very nice, something to get excited about, but we've only just finished year one of the Conte era, and Il Mister needs to be afforded the opportunity to shape his team in the way he sees fit. I really do like all of the players we've added, so at this point, there's not too much reason to be down on the process.

The process shouldn't be forced based upon a general ideology that dictates we need to spend X amount of money in order to obtain a quality player - a lot of mistakes are made that way, and we're not really in the greatest position to absorb those types of losses right now, should things not go as planned. Gotta find a good balance, the right fit.

I don't think one excludes the other, I perhaps should have made that clearer in my post. Again, I don't think he's saying the club won't go for a quality player.
:tup: I got you, buddy. It's about finding the right blend of attributes, especially given our managers preferred style of play.

The fact that there is still a lot of time for moves is reassuring, yes. If I were to say the positions we need to cover, I'd include centre back along with forward and left back though.
Definitely need one more CB for the 3-5-2 setup, that's a good point. Unless we buy another utility defender, who can play both CB and LB, and then cover Paolo by committee.

With Chiello, Giacc, Caceres, and Isla, it wouldn't totally shock me if we covered Paolo by committee, although my preference is far and away to add a dedicated LB/LWB.

I still think van Persie will be approached by the club. Not on a huge salary, an expiring contract is yummy for Marotta's transfer budget and he doesn't seem to want to move elsewhere in England. If there isn't a renewal (which is what Arsenal might be working on currently), I think there will be an effort to sign him at some point. I can still hope anyway :D It will seems it will be significantly harder to sign a lot of the other bigger name players such as Cavani, Higuaín, Falcao because of the asking price.
I'm not putting too much stock in the RvP rumors anymore, but you're right, it's a situation that could still develop as the market unfolds - and how sweet that would be, after Arsene's comments. Which my friends have been decent enough not to mention at this point... although I know the losses of Henry, Cesc, Nasri, and in particular, their CL loss to Milan are all still pretty fresh in their minds. :D

At this point, If a Cavani, Higuain, or Falcao arrives, I'll be running naked through the streets. Just don't see how it could happen at this point, but again, it's early, and there is a lot of business to be done with player sales, etc.

Fr3sh

Jul 12, 2011
^^^^^^

I actually.....read it all :D
Great post!

I don't think Destro would go anywhere this year, things will go down next year. For the time being he'll have to deal with the minnows (Genoa\Sienna) then next year it'll be either us or Merda.

For the time being any striker that can score 15\20+ goals would be more than welcomed, as long as the price\wages are alright.

Rollie

Apr 15, 2008
^^^^^^

I actually.....read it all :D
Great post!

I don't think Destro would go anywhere this year, things will go down next year. For the time being he'll have to deal with the minnows (Genoa\Sienna) then next year it'll be either us or Merda.

For the time being any striker that can score 15\20+ goals would be more than welcomed, as long as the price\wages are alright.
:beer: , buddy.

It's going to be about seizing those opportunities on the market. You're right, can't see Destro here in the short term (good chance not in the long term either - at least it sounds pretty complicated), but hopefully something exciting will break loose soon, and we'll secure our marksman.

Just need to remember that we're building something special here, and the foundation is starting to look great. Most important thing will be bossing the league again next year, qualifying for CL again so that money is consistently rolling in, and hopefully we can make a little noise in CL to boot. I think the squad is already talented enough to progress through the group stages, if we add a couple more pieces, who knows what Conte will be able to do with this young, improving squad.

Fr3sh

Jul 12, 2011
For sure, when it comes to the CL, baby-steps....but we still gotta stomp the filthy ones (Farca, Madrid and them Premshits) wouldn't have it any other way. :stuckup:

But realistically, I think in about one more, or two more season we will be a REAL force to be reckoned with. Conte will grow as a coach, Vidal\Chessio\and the new arrivals would get even better, BonBon will surely improve some more, Killer Chiello still there. I'm exited, real exited and to be honest I'm also being a little impatient, I want a big striker, Higuain\Cavani type of big. We've been shit, insulted and had our beloved shirt dragged in mud, so it's only normal, as fans we'd want A LOT the moment we start showing promise. And I actually have faith that Eye'Otta will get shit done.

LiquidPLP

Jun 9, 2012
Since we can't get Cavani I really hope we get duo Destro + Jovetić and we'd be set. Vucinić + Giovinco + Destro + Matri + Jovetić sounds really good. Jovetić + Destro should close in 40 millions(JoJo 30mln, Destro 10), so it's affordable I guess. We could use Quagliarella or other players to lower Fiorentina demands.

May 22, 2007
:D

Beppe did manage to surprise more than a few, myself very much included, and he's earned much more trust from me - I was actually quite pissed off after last summer (although I wasn't calling for his head - I do believe in continuity - mostly just frustrated by what I considered to be his inability to prioritize. I simply could not fathom how he failed to secure a proper LB two years running - and in theory didn't like him bringing in 11+ players for a second consecutive year. I also had some worries about Conte, largely because of all the 424 talk, and his experience).

Just like any other position, GM's gotta deal with his own growth curve, though - Juventus sure isn't Sampdoria, and he'll be learning a lot as he goes, just like everybody else. My faith in Marrotta on an individual basis isn't profound at this point, but it's significantly bolstered by Conte's presence - who, after this magical season, has my utmost faith.
I think a lot were sort of in that same position, being a bit underwhelmed (apart from the Vučinić fan club). First there was the news of that cash injection and everyone talked the money up speaking of big names, and we were linked with Sánchez and Agüero (even Rossi) before the money was spread out over a few players. I think the thing that worried me about Conte was that he hadn't been in such a position before, as a coach, and it was simply too much to be the sixth different Juventus coach since Calciopoli. Conte was Agnelli's choice though, so I think we found the guy that made the most important transfer of last summer. The thought of winning Serie A had never crossed my mind until that first match against Parma where everything came together (Pirlo's resurgence, the stadium, Conte's system), and I was very unsure of a few players (Barzagli, Bonucci, De Ceglie and his fitness, Pirlo and his motivation) before the season started. I think Beppe was a little old fashioned before Conte came along, thinking he was the man that made the team and the coach did the rest of the work. There were several players who admitted to receiving calls from the coach telling them the project and convincing them it is worthwhile, I think Beppe was even trying to sell Pepe/Bonucci that summer and Conte stopped the deals from ever happening. So yeah, I agree he's growing, dealing with new things because I don't fully trust his judgement in players (credit for Pirlo though, MVP). There were even reports of him getting into disagreements with Pavel over certain things last year, and I wonder about Elia.

I agree it would be very irritating if he didn't get another left back this summer though, we sorted stuff out with De Ceglie and Chiellini changing it up but there simply isn't the strength in depth which we have on the other side with Lichtsteiner, Cáceres and Isla. I like De Ceglie, but I still have concerns over him keeping fit for an entire season.

Yeah, it does seem fairly clear that he's been prioritizing youth, and being very careful with the salaries he's doling out - which is such a nice change from Secco, who was putting players like Poulsen on around 3M in wages, etc., etc. Way too many bad contracts to list them all, really. FFP largely dictates all of this, but I agree with it in theory - and because he's being careful now, we should have room to add a couple larger salaries should the opportunities arise. A club's wage structure/hierarchy is very important for sustained success.

For me, Dzeko would be outstanding, but at best it's such a huge pay cut to take, and the club just won the EPL, they're amongst the CL favorites... I guess it comes down to City - probably as much or more than Dzeko - and whether or not they buy again. I think there's a good chance we'll be going for a player who's young and on his way up, although I doubt Dortmund in particular want to do business having already unloaded Kagawa - I think Lewandowski's price tag will be heftier than we might anticipate, similar to the situation in Naples.
Just comparing the total wage costs of the club currently and one or two years ago, there isn't even an increase in wages with the increased quality of the squad. With the salaries of Iaquinta, Amauri, Elia, Krasić, Grosso, Del Piero, Motta, Pazienza all gone, I struggle to believe that the club cannot afford to offer something in the region of €7m (as much as Marotta would hate to do that). The club will enjoy the stadium revenue and return of CL revenue, shouldn't be that unrealistic IMO. The biggest downer is that we can't get Cavani because he's already on something relatively small, but I think someone like Lewandowski fits my description better, of someone showing a lot of positive signs without being too notable in the bigger competitions (in the CL and Euros his team didn't really perform that well). The same goes for someone like Giroud.

I've stated my opinion a few times regarding Džeko, I have no reason to think any less of him than I thought when he was at Wolfsburg. He's scoring well despite the minutes played (even scored one of the most important goals in the history of Man City), he hasn't had any major injuries and hasn't acted like a bitch over lack of game time. I don't understand any of the criticisms he's received since joining City (most of them are a load of bollocks, like he rejected Juventus when we couldn't even sign him at the time). He's well built, strikes the ball very cleanly, I'd still love him. It seems like we're on the same page though :D

I agree man, the big name is not essential. It would be very nice, something to get excited about, but we've only just finished year one of the Conte era, and Il Mister needs to be afforded the opportunity to shape his team in the way he sees fit. I really do like all of the players we've added, so at this point, there's not too much reason to be down on the process.

The process shouldn't be forced based upon a general ideology that dictates we need to spend X amount of money in order to obtain a quality player - a lot of mistakes are made that way, and we're not really in the greatest position to absorb those types of losses right now, should things not go as planned. Gotta find a good balance, the right fit.
Yep, we're on the same wavelength. I really like the pair from Udinese, I like that he's looking to bring in younger players like Pogba and Verratti to continue what the club started last season. I'm also a fan of Destro, even though it seems like we're going to be waiting a hell of a long time to get this Juve-Genoa-Siena-Inter situation sorted. If I recall correctly Conte even said that he admires Destro, Marotta certainly said it. Really hope we can get him because he could have a big career for either Juve or Inter, I hope the player realises that his chances of success as an Italian are a lot greater at ItalJuve :touched:

Regarding the second point, exactly. There should be lessons learned from the Secco era, in particular that summer when he splashed heavily on two names when the squad wasn't strong enough to facilitate the switch in formation.

:tup: I got you, buddy. It's about finding the right blend of attributes, especially given our managers preferred style of play.
:tup:

Definitely need one more CB for the 3-5-2 setup, that's a good point. Unless we buy another utility defender, who can play both CB and LB, and then cover Paolo by committee.

With Chiello, Giacc, Caceres, and Isla, it wouldn't totally shock me if we covered Paolo by committee, although my preference is far and away to add a dedicated LB/LWB.
Yeah pretty much as I said earlier, I'd be very disappointed if we didn't get a left back, I can't see the positives in playing Giaccherini, Pepe or Chiellini in the LWB role with the shift Juve has made towards a 3-5-2. They'll all work hard but I don't see the productivity that we could find from someone else. Senad Lulić is my recommendation, hey we could make BosniaJuve.

Regarding centre back, we just need one in case we find ourselves in the same situation of playing Cáceres-Vidal there. The squad depth they're building on is promising, and we've got ages so we'll see.

I'm not putting too much stock in the RvP rumors anymore, but you're right, it's a situation that could still develop as the market unfolds - and how sweet that would be, after Arsene's comments. Which my friends have been decent enough not to mention at this point... although I know the losses of Henry, Cesc, Nasri, and in particular, their CL loss to Milan are all still pretty fresh in their minds. :D

At this point, If a Cavani, Higuain, or Falcao arrives, I'll be running naked through the streets. Just don't see how it could happen at this point, but again, it's early, and there is a lot of business to be done with player sales, etc.
:lol:

Yeah a friend mentioned Wenger's comments to me as well, I brushed it off when I brought up their success in winning any sort of trophy lately. I think a lot of people on here have at least one friend they'd love to act smug around if we signed a big player from the EPL.

I'll be on the look out for news stories of a naked man being arrested.

Ahmed

Principino
Sep 3, 2006
Roma had 'best Destro bid'
By Football Italia staff

Genoa President Enrico Preziosi has revealed it was Roma who made a firm offer for Mattia Destro, but Siena buying half the player “made it a complicated knot.”

Destro had been on loan to Siena, but now he is co-owned by the Tuscans and Genoa, making his future a complex affair.

“There was an agreement with Siena for us to bring him back, but it all collapsed when I stopped dealing with the matter personally,” Genoa President Preziosi told Radio Manà Manà.

“The Bianconeri therefore – and entirely legitimately – took up their option to buy half his contract and keep Destro in their squad.”

Preziosi had hinted yesterday at a pact to send Destro to Inter this summer, but now reveals it was not quite so clear-cut.

“Actually it was Roma who had made the really credible offer for the player. It’s all different now, anyway, as Siena have co-ownership rights too.

“This has made it a complicated knot that we could well have to disentangle next year.”

It is also reported on Sky Sport Italia that German club Wolfsburg made a €15m bid for Destro, but the striker rejected the chance because he is determined to stay in Serie A.

Roman

-'Tuz Fantasy Master-
Apr 19, 2003
No, Siena just bought half of him right now.
What that means?he stays in Siena?
So if someone wants to buy him?need to pay both clubs?
And if he stays this year in Siena,next year will be auction between Genoa and Siena?
Sorry for many questions just got lost with all his situation between the clubs...and who the hell Wolfsburg was about to pay 15mil?lol.

Roman

-'Tuz Fantasy Master-
Apr 19, 2003
What that means?he stays in Siena?
So if someone wants to buy him?need to pay both clubs?
And if he stays this year in Siena,next year will be auction between Genoa and Siena?
Sorry for many questions just got lost with all his situation between the clubs...and who the hell Wolfsburg was about to pay 15mil?lol.
Would help if someone can clear things up for me.
Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 6)