Mattia Destro - Forward - Siena/Genoa (43 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005
I don't have an issue with the players Marotta is signing but I would be dissapointed if we have to go without a top player up front because most of our budget spent on reinforcing what is already our strongest part of the team.
This.

Good point jew. :tup:

Xperd

'Toli Throater
Jun 1, 2012
What i dont understand that why did we reinforce our depth then, with signings like Isla and Asamoah ,even Caceres whilst our main weakness is addressed by signing a young unproven striker simply because we cant afford the big names ?It really doesnt make sense to me..

I honestly would be really livid if we end up overpaying for Destro which is a huge possibility.Not that i dont want Destro..I'd certainly would welcome him here but just not as our main signing in attack..It would be a dissapointment of epic proportions.

May 22, 2007
I suppose that this point largely comes down to terminology. I was really hoping we'd prioritize an established star up front, as it's obviously our primary need, and for the fans it would be nice to replace past stars, signal intent, etc., etc. That's not necessarily the way the market works, obviously. Recognizing and seizing good opportunities is so important.
I tried replying to this last night but I was shattered so I'll give it another go now :D

It does come down to terminology because I really think the point he's trying to make is that the club won't just spend on a big name for the sake of it, like certain clubs in Europe, or like so many football pundits seem to be advising. Marotta did embarrass a lot of people after the mercato last summer by bringing in a lot of quality for good value, and looking back it seems like he found a good balance in the 'quantity vs quality' debate, he earned more trust from me.

Perhaps he is looking at the possibility of finding a younger player who isn't that established star signing, such as Vidal last summer, who needs a small amount of refining to become that star player for Juventus? I think we all know he's pretty much the opposite of Secco when it comes to transfer fees and player contracts, and he won't just surrender €120k per week contracts to players that have had a limited career despite being in their prime. At the end of the day we'll find it difficult to define "big player" in Marotta's eyes, so it's hard to say whether he'd consider that to be a player like Džeko, who I still think would be good for the club. There are a few strikers that I rate currently despite not actually being big names in my opinion, Lewandowski, Llorente, Doumbia...

I suppose what I'm trying to say is that a big name isn't essential when the club can go for the player they see as the best fit, and by saying "no big name players", Marotta isn't instantly ruling out the possibility of someone with quality for Juventus. That's what I'm taking from his interviews at the moment, Conte will play a big role in the new striker I feel, so we'll see.

I'm all for finding someone who fits, and buys into the team mentality - that's a philosophy I 100% agree with, and I do think that's what Beppe's theoretically trying to do. It's a fine line, though; yeah we want someone who will work for the team, but we'll eventually need a prolific marksman if we want to be considered amongst the very best in Europe.
I don't think one excludes the other, I perhaps should have made that clearer in my post. Again, I don't think he's saying the club won't go for a quality player.

That might have to wait until next year though - which would be far from the end of the world considering the caliber of the players who have already arrived, and the strength of the current team. Prima donnas are not welcome in Conte's Juventus - no doubt.

Anyway, there is still a ton of time left for moves... I'm just a little nervous, given how much we've already committed to spend, and the fact that GM has a lot of players to unload. As I mentioned earlier, prioritizing hasn't always been Beppe's strength while at Juve, and I'll feel a lot better once we've added a CF and a LB - which I felt were our two biggest areas of need heading into the summer.

It would be even better if those players were acquired in early July, so they can get integrated into the team during camp, especially the CF, as one would have to assume he'll be a starter.
The fact that there is still a lot of time for moves is reassuring, yes. If I were to say the positions we need to cover, I'd include centre back along with forward and left back though.

I still think van Persie will be approached by the club. Not on a huge salary, an expiring contract is yummy for Marotta's transfer budget and he doesn't seem to want to move elsewhere in England. If there isn't a renewal (which is what Arsenal might be working on currently), I think there will be an effort to sign him at some point. I can still hope anyway :D It will seems it will be significantly harder to sign a lot of the other bigger name players such as Cavani, Higuaín, Falcao because of the asking price.

Xperd

'Toli Throater
Jun 1, 2012
I can understand signing a prospect like Destro but i would never understand if our board went after someone like Mandzukic who(no offense balkan fans) is mediocre as hell and had a tournament like Gyan had in the WC.I dont buy into tournament perfomances btw.

Bianconero81

Ageing Veteran
Jan 26, 2009
:lol: :howler: People over-rating Destro. He might turn out to be better than RVP (highly doubtful though), but it's definitely not going to happen overnight, or next season for that matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 42)