Matthijs de Ligt (45 Viewers)

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
And the sideways passing Merchant aka Arturd is our best midfielder right? The guy that earns a gazillion Euros and can't make a forward or diagonal pass, am I right?
I’m all for firing Allegri if we get rid of these turds in summer and he cannot get us performing next season, but until we go through a mercato and actually at least somewhat fix the shitshow that our squad is I’m uncertain what people expect here. Our best mids Fagiot and Arturd to play a dominant, gegenpressing game. Like for real? :lol:

Last edited:

duranfj

Jul 30, 2015
Again, defenders are on the field to clean up the flaws of the rest of the team and in this particular case MDL should have played with Aranautovic, this would allow Chiellini to cover Orsolini and also this would have forced Soriano to act differently because then he wouldn't have a zone for a through ball. Danilo and Rabiot were already on Soriano to press him.
qweqwe.jpg
Danilo let him pass Soriano and didn’t recover
Rabiot is jogging
Chiello is running back a rival diagonal and killing the offside
MDS didn’t close

Who’s to blame? MDL lol

rainhard

May 5, 2004
For offside trap that is Chiellini mistakes, we can easily getting proof of offside nowadays if we utilize VAR to assists our backline decision for offside trap
MDL goes up to cover the shooting area of Soriano so he can;t shoot, the logical choice for him is to pass and he clearly sees it

And if he pass, our counteract is to trap that pass to offside position to both players upfront (Arnautovic and Orsolini)

Mar 9, 2006
For offside trap that is Chiellini mistakes, we can easily getting proof of offside nowadays if we utilize VAR to assists our backline decision for offside trap
MDL goes up to cover the shooting area of Soriano so he can;t shoot, the logical choice for him is to pass and he clearly sees it

And if he pass, our counteract is to trap that pass to offside position to both players upfront (Arnautovic and Orsolini)
He didn't cover shit because he has stopped to run, if he wanted to prevent soriano from shooting/passing then he should have continued to run towards him but instead he decided to stop and was caught in half-position

rainhard

May 5, 2004
He didn't cover shit because he has stopped to run, if he wanted to prevent soriano from shooting/passing then he should have continued to run towards him but instead he decided to stop and was caught in half-position
that will be actual save from him if he can intercept that pass or change the trajectory of that pass, second option is for other back line to support his decision and let both players to be in offside position when the ball is passed by Soriano. Both didnt happen, so in my opinion the blame is not in MDL shoulders but more of a collective miscoordination

kappa96

Jun 20, 2018
Look again and imagine if he didn't rush but did a drop back a bit alongside with Chiellini then Soriano would have seen that the path for through ball is not there and and he would have to make a different decision
рор.jpg
Good analysis. Actually mds rushing out and neglecting aranautovici creates space for orsolini who could potentially be picked by Soriano with a through pass.
Chiello is left in no man's land. MDL should have stickied with arnautovici and mds should have come out to block soriano's shot. (if Danilo and rabiot can't be bothered).

Robee

Jun 21, 2011
Chiellini plays Arnautovic first if you notice, then he starts running towards Orsolini at the same time as De Ligt. If De Ligt doesn't come out, I don't think either Danilo or Rabiot close down Soriano soon enough. Again, many things to point out before you can blame De Ligt
This. Arnautovic should definitely be Chiellini's guy (after the midfield mistake) and he should simply step in to spring the offside trap.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
This. Arnautovic should definitely be Chiellini's guy (after the midfield mistake) and he should simply step in to spring the offside trap.
Everything must be blamed on De Ligt and Allegri. Don’t you know the rules yet? Allegri is at fault for not developing Kulusevski, but De Ligt himself is at fault for not developing under Sarri and getting him fired. Logic.

GrandeGigi

Sep 18, 2012
It's always difficult for a defender when an attacker comes rushing at him. De Ligt actually did the right thing to step forward to prevent Soriano from shooting, but Chiellini kept Arnautovic onside. Also based on that picture Pelligrini should have been a little bit more central (mirroring De Sciglio's positioning).

But Soriano bypassed Dybala (and Danilo) through a simple 1-2, and that is unacceptable. Anyway, De Ligt didn't have a good game but that goal can't really be blamed on him.
Agree, the main error when breaking down the goal is how easily the midfield gets played around with a simple 1-2. De Ligt and Chiellini then have to react and adapt which they don’t do a great job of.

If we actually bothered to attack with any purpose and score goals then we wouldn’t be spending as much time dissecting every goal we concede.

Vlad

In Allegri We Trust
May 23, 2011
Sorriano bypassed Danilo, Rabiot looks like situation doesnt concern him at all, Pellegrini is staying on the left to cover no one, Chiellini plays Arnautovic onside and then MDL has to make a decision in a split second. Whether to allow Sorriano taking a clear shot at the top of our penalty box or to rush half way forward, prevent him taking a shot or if we tries to pick a pass, maybe to deflect it. You can ofc claim he should have followed Arnautovic, in hindsight, but I dont like chances of any player taking a clear shot at the top of our box. Its a tough call either way and hes been put in that position as a result of multiple fuckups leading to it.

- - - Updated - - -

Everything must be blamed on De Ligt and Allegri. Don’t you know the rules yet? Allegri is at fault for not developing Kulusevski, but De Ligt himself is at fault for not developing under Sarri and getting him fired. Logic.
His cryptonites. Hes completely lost his head to a point its worrying.

Rabiot one of the best pressers in the league (I stil chuckle at this
Alex Sandro amazing qualifiers (as this has any relevance)
Praises Conte Euro QF and EL semis (downplays Italy's 2021 Euro win, its just luck, downplays Allegri's 2 CL finals, etc...)
Bashes MDL, but likes Rugani....

I wonder what gem he will bless us today with. Its an Easter afterall.

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2020
Na, even pre-covid, making him our second best paid player was a rubbish decision. I understand the transfer fees, but the salary was just too much for a 20 year old defender. At the time he was in the top 5 or so best paid defender while not being one.
I like him, I hope we keep him. But it looks increasingly difficult. Worse still, I don't see anyone paying enough for him for us to make a decent return either.
That was the Tici doctrine, signing players simply because we offered more.

Luckily that we signing a great personality in this dude, at least he cares and always fights.

cimenk

Jul 23, 2008
Sorriano bypassed Danilo, Rabiot looks like situation doesnt concern him at all, Pellegrini is staying on the left to cover no one, Chiellini plays Arnautovic onside and then MDL has to make a decision in a split second. Whether to allow Sorriano taking a clear shot at the top of our penalty box or to rush half way forward, prevent him taking a shot or if we tries to pick a pass, maybe to deflect it. You can ofc claim he should have followed Arnautovic, in hindsight, but I dont like chances of any player taking a clear shot at the top of our box. Its a tough call either way and hes been put in that position as a result of multiple fuckups leading to it.

- - - Updated - - -

His cryptonites. Hes completely lost his head to a point its worrying.

Rabiot one of the best pressers in the league (I stil chuckle at this
Alex Sandro amazing qualifiers (as this has any relevance)
Praises Conte Euro QF and EL semis (downplays Italy's 2021 Euro win, its just luck, downplays Allegri's 2 CL finals, etc...)
Bashes MDL, but likes Rugani....

I wonder what gem he will bless us today with. Its an Easter afterall.
We also should look on the previous situation. Soriano is pressed by Dybala before he made that one two with Schouten. Schouten position is in the center which Danilo operate and Soriano go to our right center which there is nobody after he bypassed Dybala. Rabiot is our LCM and operate more to the left. At the time Soriano pass Dybala and got back the pass, Rabiot start to run and cover it although the position is still quite far. For me De Ligt should still be with Arnautovic and it would gives Soriano more difficult decision what to do

Somehow i confused with our defensive shape. We listed as using 4-3-3 formation but in those situation i saw we are more 3-4-3. Cuad is on RWB, De Sciglio as RCB. So we only have 2 CM. And in that situation Dybala should help faster as RW. or Cuad help De Sciglio on their winger so De Sciglio will be the one as RCB who moves forward to press. I still see this one as collective mistake. But some of the players need to be able make a better decision.

Vlad

In Allegri We Trust
May 23, 2011
We also should look on the previous situation. Soriano is pressed by Dybala before he made that one two with Schouten. Schouten position is in the center which Danilo operate and Soriano go to our right center which there is nobody after he bypassed Dybala. Rabiot is our LCM and operate more to the left. At the time Soriano pass Dybala and got back the pass, Rabiot start to run and cover it although the position is still quite far. For me De Ligt should still be with Arnautovic and it would gives Soriano more difficult decision what to do

Somehow i confused with our defensive shape. We listed as using 4-3-3 formation but in those situation i saw we are more 3-4-3. Cuad is on RWB, De Sciglio as RCB. So we only have 2 CM. And in that situation Dybala should help faster as RW. or Cuad help De Sciglio on their winger so De Sciglio will be the one as RCB who moves forward to press. I still see this one as collective mistake. But some of the players need to be able make a better decision.
Yeah, our defense got exposed due to previous few plays so I dont see how anyone can pin this on MDL. U never want opponent to rush at your defense and out number it.

- - - Updated - - -

That was the Tici doctrine, signing players simply because we offered more.

Luckily that we signing a great personality in this dude, at least he cares and always fights.
One of the best buys in recent years. No regret to invest as much in 20 yo already top defender at that time.

duranfj

Jul 30, 2015
Let’s say MDL holds position (classic Bonbon move), he would allow Arnautovic to be onside and let Soriano decide to shot and still pass the ball as he did… horrible decision, don’t prevent actually one single thread and enable one

MDL ran back to close Arnautovic, creates space for Soariano to get in the box for the middle and take a shot almost like a penalty. He should be sell immediately if he does that

MDL tried to close the passer and move forward to create the offside as he did, best choice by far IMO… if he should have done something different, he should be way more aggressive in the close

Chiello mistake was huge there, run back, put everyone onside, defend no one… horrible defending

Boksic

May 11, 2005
De Ligt makes the biggest mistake on the goal imo, shouldn't get so easily drawn towards the ball.
It's a tough one and I think he is put in a difficult position by the midfield. He's left with the choice of do I let Soriano run virtually unopposed towards goal in a central position or do I drop back and stay on Arnautovic, giving Soriano more space to come forward and preventing any opportunity of playing Arnautovic offside.

Pellegrini covering like MDS on Orsolini would have helped and let Chiellini deal with Arnautovic but then he has the guy on his wing to worry about.

In the end De Ligt is left in no man's land, our flat back 4 is essentially 2 defenders on the 18 yard line and 2 defenders 5 yards in front it but I agree he should have done better.

Jun 6, 2015
It's a tough one and I think he is put in a difficult position by the midfield. He's left with the choice of do I let Soriano run virtually unopposed towards goal in a central position or do I drop back and stay on Arnautovic, giving Soriano more space to come forward and preventing any opportunity of playing Arnautovic offside.

Pellegrini covering like MDS on Orsolini would have helped and let Chiellini deal with Arnautovic but then he has the guy on his wing to worry about.

In the end De Ligt is left in no man's land, our flat back 4 is essentially 2 defenders on the 18 yard line and 2 defenders 5 yards in front it but I agree he should have done better.
Midfield is definitely not helping him. However I think that as a defender you need to try and prevent the bigger danger in those situations and in that situation Arnautovic is a bigger threat than Soriano shooting from outside of the box. He should only rush towards the ball as a last resort, on their goal he committed himself way too early for my liking.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 37)