Matthijs de Ligt (93 Viewers)

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
I'm not saying I want him gone, that he won't come good etc. but at the time I thought it was a dumb move to spend basically our entire transfer budget on a 19 y/o with no experience playing in a top side or especially in an Italian side considering how important tactics are here. And its nothing against him I just don't like the idea of splurging massively on such a young player in general

He is like the fawn who must learn to walk with the aid of Mother Maurice @Hustini

AriG

Feb 17, 2019
I'm not saying I want him gone, that he won't come good etc. but at the time I thought it was a dumb move to spend basically our entire transfer budget on a 19 y/o with no experience playing in a top side or especially in an Italian side considering how important tactics are here.
He'll learn it fast.
Communication is the problem i think.

Vlad

In Allegri We Trust
May 23, 2011
I'm not saying I want him gone, that he won't come good etc. but at the time I thought it was a dumb move to spend basically our entire transfer budget on a 19 y/o with no experience playing in a top side or especially in an Italian side considering how important tactics are here. And its nothing against him I just don't like the idea of splurging massively on such a young player in general

He is like the fawn who must learn to walk with the aid of Mother Maurice @Hustini
He is 20 yo CB who is starting for one of the best teams in the world... Getting him at early age, leaves us with more time to 'mould' him. He gets to learn ropes, tactics, language, improve his positioning and awareness, etc... He is undoubtedly very talented player and this could and prolly will pay off over the next several years. Right now yes we overpaid, but we are looking long term.

DAiDEViL

Feb 21, 2015
He is 20 yo CB who is starting for one of the best teams in the world... Getting him at early age, leaves us with more time to 'mould' him. He gets to learn ropes, tactics, language, improve his positioning and awareness, etc... He is undoubtedly very talented player and this could and prolly will pay off over the next several years. Right now yes we overpaid, but we are looking long term.
Agreed. He's not there yet, but he has all the tools to make me forget about missing out on Maguire.

Albo

Apr 13, 2009
Again, besides the missed header (in midfield) in the lead-up to their goal, what else did he do wrong? He was fine, another good/solid game where he did everything he had to do

Bonucci was worse, another shaky and nervy game from him with plenty of dumb mistakes.
This .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lion

King of Tuz
Jan 24, 2007

chiellieni injury really messed up plans to slowly introduce DL into team. with his injury, DL had to learn trial by fire.

imagine you swithc to a new job where you have learn new things and your mentor suddenly gets into accident and isnt available to teach you new job things. you gonna make tons of mistakes.

icemaη

Rab's Husband - The Regista
Aug 27, 2008

Wasn't really a fan of spending that much money on him either. Especially the wages. Now that he's here though, he needs to start as long as we keep winning. We obviously don't have anyone better on the bench and it'll only help him get better quicker.

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
How good and consistent were the likes of Chiellini, Bonnuci, Ramos, etc... at the age of 20?

Food for thought.
good point but how much were transfer fees paid for them at that age?

i think a more appropriate comparison would be young players signed for (what at the time is/was) big fees

necessary disclaimer, once again i dont have issue with De Ligt as an individual more so putting that money towards a youngster particularly a defender whose understanding and familiarity is crucial to not conceding prevenrable goals

Last edited:

Nedved96

Sep 1, 2017

4ndr3i

Aug 2, 2012
No offense but there is no way in hell 25 mil in 2005 would be (adjusted for inflation) 95 mil in 2019.

It’s more like 33-35 mil. That calculator is wack.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 88)