out now?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
Agreed

people seem to conflate the notion of modern football and winning as if there is a high degree of correlation between the two. While the success of other coaches can be used as a counter argument to Max, it's a no-brainer that he was in fact the most successful coach in Europe (second only to ZZ whom people still shit on for winning 3x CLs which is baffling in itself that people question his greatness).

just like in summer of 2019 :lol: @ everyone that wanted a change from Max. Where we are now is the result lel
Moar attractive football, yo! Look at how pretty our goals have been the last two years, results be damned.

Seriously though, not sure why people conflate attacking football and modern football exclusively. The most successful football coach of the last half-dozen years, Zidane, is almost a clone of Max, focusing on a solid, organized back line and mid and allowing his attackers to do their thing, basing where his tactical emphasis lies on the strength of his side. There’s a reason they may win La Liga this year with quite possibly under 70 goals scored. The second most successful coach of the period, Max, is the same.

Modern football tactics for me are whatever is effective at winning modern football matches. And those two guys cannot be beat in that regard in the 2014-2020 period.

Buy on AliExpress.com
Last edited:

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
I don't see how his approach is modern. I mean, maybe it is to the old school Italian fans watching Serie A back in the 90's, but I don't think it is. It's just a highly tactical approach focused on not conceding goals.
Didn't he often play three strikers at once? I fail to see how Maxx was a defensive coach, I think we just had trouble building attacks, being fluid when our CM options were no longer Vidal, Pogba, Marchisio and Pirlo. When Allegri had a better midfield then we saw better football but even so he was never a defensive or cautious coach

Jun 16, 2020
Moar attractive football, yo! Look at how pretty our goals have been the last two years, results be damned.

Seriously though, not sure why people conflate attacking football and modern football exclusively. The most successful football coach of the last half-dozen years, Zidane, is almost a clone of Max, focusing on a solid, organized back line and mid and allowing his attackers to do their thing, basing where his tactical emphasis lies on the strength of his side. There’s a reason they may win La Liga this year with quite possibly under 70 goals scored. The second most successful coach of the period, Max, is the same.

Modern football tactics for me are whatever is effective at winning modern football matches. And those two guys cannot be beat in that regard in the 2014-2020 period.
There are only two types of managers: winners and losers. Max was a winner, the rest isn’t relevant.

Damn I felt such a smartass writing this

AndreaCristiano

Nato, Vive, e muore Italiano
Jun 9, 2011
The Maxx trollface is pretty great :max:

Just curious, maybe I'm remembering this wrong, but didn't you insist for months that Pep was a certainty, that you had "sources", rudely shooting down anyone who doubted you, only to leave in shame and return months later? :max:
I was saying that yes but if you look back I was always a Max first guy and kept constantly saying you only replace an allegri with someone big. My sources were wrong and I admit it also I never left just don’t post nearly as much

Nejc

May 13, 2006
Relatively modern, especially for an Italian coach.

He played 4-2-3-1 with 3 strikers on the pitch plus Cuadrado who at that point was very much a winger.

He also played the ball out from the back before every team was doing it, albeit Conte introduced that.

He's not a tiki-taka coach or all out attack but he is not a catennacio coach either.

For me being modern is not about hipster football but being open minded to modern ideas (passing from the back, attacking players in different roles, less well used formations).
One thing the team did with Allegri that could be considered defensive is slowing down when in front. You dont see that from most of other top clubs.

DS8_Montero

Aug 10, 2018
Sounds too good to be true, and yet seems almost inevitable (unless Max doesn't want it, of course).

Agnelli needs Max, that's for sure. A few years ago he made a mistake and chose Nedved's and Paratici's side. Now that that project has failed, and in May Agnelli has to explain Exor what happened and what's going to happen next, it would be a perfect move for him.

He will have a perfect explanation of the past. He will control the damage by firing those two assholes. He will bring back the man who led this club to 4 doubles and 2 CL finals. The man who knows how to show excellent results without having a proper squad, which is very important right now for the club, given the financial situation.

Every other option (Inzaghi, Zidane, Gasperini, etc.) is a gamble. Allegri is a guarantee. And that's what Agnelli and Exor need at this point.

Moreover, I believe, Agnelli desperately needs this to happen not only to remain a chairman of Juventus, but even to remain relevant as an executive in general. If he's fired in May, his career as a manager will likely be over, he will be too toxic even for Exor, not to mention outside world.

LiquidPLP

Jun 9, 2012
Am I the only one that prefers Allegri to Zidane?
Many around here will prefer Allegri, who is a 'safer' bet. Also a cheaper one. The most important thing though would be the attitude - for Allegri, Juve is the dream club to be in (he's a Juve fan). That means he will stick around for longer.

Zidane is a Madridista first and foremost and even with that being said he left the post pretty quickly. Now there are also rumors of him considering his future, again. Not sure for how long he'd stick around with us.
Then, how well is he able to do with lesser players? Let's not kid ourselves, Madrid's players are superior to ours and that goes for pretty much every player.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 8, Guests: 175)