out now?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

campionesidd

Mar 16, 2013
Ahh yes. Keeping possession calmly, moving the ball crisply around the pitch with purpose, waiting for an opening and then exploiting it to score a great goal against a team that won 4 CL in 5 years….

Such a lame attack :lol2: :baus:
These people start their thought process with ‘Allegri bad’ and then come up with Nadia Comaneci level mental gymnastics to justify their conclusions. It’s truly breathtaking.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Strickland

May 17, 2019
We also had Conte as our coach which pretty much castrated us in Europe unfortunately, even in 13-14 with Tevez.
It was just the 13/14 that I'd consider Conte's Juventus flopping in Europe. 11/12 Conte and Juve didnt play in Europe. 12/13 we went out against possibly the best team of our generation, I wouldn't blame Conte for that, that match-up against Bayern was doomed. We didn't play to our full potential there, but hard to see us going past that machine of a Bayern team even if we did everything perfect. They took a 100 point Barcelona with 60 goals-per-season Messi + the core of the Spain team that just won Euro 2012 and wiped their arse with them 4:0 and 3:0.

s4tch

Mar 23, 2015
It was just the 13/14 that I'd consider Conte flopping in Europe. 11/12 Conte and Juve didnt play in Europe. 12/13 we went out against possibly the best team of our generation, I wouldn't blame Conte for that, that match-up against Bayern was doomed. We didn't play to our full potential there, but hard to see us going past that machine of a Bayern team even if we did everything perfect. They took a 100 point Barcelona with 60 goals-per-season Messi + the core of the Spain team that just won Euro 2012 and wiped their arse with them 4:0 and 3:0.
bayern was a machine indeed, but failing to progress against galata and not beating benfica in the el semi are two glorious failures in a single season. team had to grow of course, those two failures are typical conte though. at least we have a +100 point season for the history books.

singus

Sep 22, 2020
That clip from the Real game definitely showed more confidence on the ball, a bit more movement and skill. However, nothing amazing. That should be the default level, not a miracle that we pull out 10 years down the line because it happens so rarely.
It was slow movement of the ball, not really putting pressure on Real until Tevez found some good space due to sloppy marking by Real and then an excellent and unexpected finish from a difficult position.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
That clip from the Real game definitely showed more confidence on the ball, a bit more movement and skill. However, nothing amazing. That should be the default level, not a miracle that we pull out 10 years down the line because it happens so rarely.
It was slow movement of the ball, not really putting pressure on Real until Tevez found some good space due to sloppy marking by Real and then an excellent and unexpected finish from a difficult position.

It's not an exceptional attacking move, but it's quite obvious the players never look worried they're going to lose the ball. And you're right, it's not as if they're running all over the place. But just a little bit of movement can be enough. There's a moment when Chiellini receives the ball and Real's striker is close to him. Evra anticipates and starts running to make himself available and it becomes an easy pass for Chiellini.

We're not even doing these basic things right now.

Strickland

May 17, 2019
It was slow movement of the ball, not really putting pressure on Real until Tevez found some good space due to sloppy marking by Real and then an excellent finish.
but it demonstrates the point perfectly. the confidence and comfort in possession against high-quality opponent vs the amateur hour we see every week against mediocre Serie A sides. it is not the players, it's the coach, in 3 years he hasn't figured out even the basic stuff.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
but it demonstrates the point perfectly. the confidence and comfort in possession against high-quality opponent vs the amateur hour we see every week against mediocre Serie A sides. it is not the players, it's the coach, in 3 years he hasn't figured out even the basic stuff.
It's a bit of both.

The clip is from 2015, when Allegri was our coach. We're 8 years later now and I'm sure he hasn't suddenly forgotten what he knew then. But the players at his disposal in 2015 were from a different category and our roster today probably needs more managing.

Strickland

May 17, 2019
It's a bit of both.

The clip is from 2015, when Allegri was our coach. We're 8 years later now and I'm sure he hasn't suddenly forgotten what he knew then. But the players at his disposal in 2015 were from a different category and our roster today probably needs more managing.
by then Chiellini, Bonucci, Pirlo, Marchisio, Vidal, Licht and the gang had been playing together for years, there probably wasn't a big need to install movement and patterns, it was in place already, so Allegri could tweak and build on it. sadly the inheritance Allegri will leave after himself will be a hot mess.

s4tch

Mar 23, 2015
serious question, why did we play well and confident against lazio (impression: well prepared team), and shy, shit and terrible, without the slightest intention to score against atalanta (impression: zero preparation other than defense until the last breath)? i simply can't understand why this team is so inconsistent.

Mokku

Apr 17, 2019
Allegri has always been very defensive in Europe, scoring these types of goals then going for long periods of sitting back and defending the lead. That has never changed. Back then we had an exceptional squad with very capable players along with characters like Buffon.

That's a team that we won't have again, but we have some players with real potential except that he's to stubborn to change up. Apart from Conte and Inzaghi, I can't think of any other managers who'd play 3-5-2. For the first time, we have width and pace on both left and right sides, a passer in Locatelli, a finisher in Vlahovic yet he just doesn't get that we can't defend properly yet we sit back and invite pressure.

He can't set us up to have Locatelli play forward because he used to be a top assist guy, we've got Chiesa and Weah to overlap and Kostic/Cambiaso and Kean the other side, so much potential to stretch and cross for Vlahovic. What about giving Vlahovic a strike partner? If shit gets hard, play 4-5-1 with an extra midfielder.

I feel like the only way to see change is if we lose half the squad to injury before he does anything and even then you'll see McKennie playing CB somehow.

Jul 2, 2006
The reason Tevez performed well with Allegri is that he didn't have the tactical discipline. He was old school, played his own game and enjoyed it while doing so. If he had to pay any attention to that tactical and motivational nazi, he would have sucked as well.

maxi

Aug 31, 2006
Remember it's not just Allegri we have to get rid of- that's only half of the work that needs to be done. It's also the stench he leaves behind, culminating in the form of several players, that needs to be disposed of. Namely those with loser mentalities like Szecesny, Danilo, Sandro and Rabiot. They all embody and support Allegri's jihad vision and must be ostracized as far away from this club as possible.

Scottish

Zebrastreifenpferd
Mar 13, 2011
It's not an exceptional attacking move, but it's quite obvious the players never look worried they're going to lose the ball. And you're right, it's not as if they're running all over the place. But just a little bit of movement can be enough. There's a moment when Chiellini receives the ball and Real's striker is close to him. Evra anticipates and starts running to make himself available and it becomes an easy pass for Chiellini.

We're not even doing these basic things right now.
After reading this and thinking about it I'd like to change my assessment and say that our problems now are more like 60% coach. We don't have close to Evra or Vidal now. We have enough to win Serie A in the squad but not to do well in Europe. @DAiDEViL

@Seven, do you think we have the players to play the style you describe? Even if not to the same level? I guess I'm asking how much of it is preparation and attitude rather than ability

- - - Updated - - -

For that matter I'll take a @Boksic analysis of the same question

magician

Oct 22, 2022
It's definitely more than 60% on the coach, remember we lost to Monza and Maccabi Haifa and the likes... serie b level teams ffs.

If our players are that bad, none of them would be called to their NT.

>80% the entire coaching team faults.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 65, Guests: 416)