Mark Knopfler (1 Viewer)

V

Jun 8, 2005
  • V

V

Any Knopfler fans here?

I'm a huge Dire Straits fan but have never really got into Knopfler solo. Anyway his new album is right around the corner, should be released any day now, it's called "Kill To Get Crimson". The tour for supporting the album will also kick off and one of the stops will be ZAGREB! :weee:

This will be probably one of my last oppurtunities to see such a great musician live and I'm seriously considering going, even though the ticket is a little steep.

Has anyone here seen him live? Does he put on a good show and does he play Straits tunes as well?

Buy on AliExpress.com
Jun 26, 2007
I haven't been to a Mark Knopfler concert yet, but I'm sure he'll play some DS songs.

I'm not a huge fan, but it's impressive what stuff he can play without using a pick. He also has a great tone due to the finger style.

OP
V

V

Jun 8, 2005
  • Thread Starter #6
    • V

V

I haven't been to a Mark Knopfler concert yet, but I'm sure he'll play some DS songs.

I'm not a huge fan, but it's impressive what stuff he can play without using a pick. He also has a great tone due to the finger style.
    Yeah he most probably will, on a few of his live albums he played Straits songs so it's probably a sure thing. I'm just curious to hear from someone's first hand experience how are his shows, there's gotta be someone here that's been to his concert.

OP
    V

V

Jun 8, 2005
  • Thread Starter #12
    • V

V

is he first time in croatia :shocked:? or you were still in diapers when he last visit cro? :D
    He was here 20 years ago so...it's about that diaper time I suppose. :D

This will be his second apperance in Croatia and I really don't wanna miss it.

When did you see him, where? Give me some proper info man. Which tour/album, what time, how long did he play, etc...

Stephan

Nov 9, 2005
    He was here 20 years ago so...it's about that diaper time I suppose. :D

This will be his second apperance in Croatia and I really don't wanna miss it.

When did you see him, where? Give me some proper info man. Which tour/album, what time, how long did he play, etc...
    in 2005 shangri la tour, estonia. I think he will play DS songs as well, if he is in croatia after 20 years again. Here he played a lot of differant songs: ofcourse the old ones Sultans Of Swing, Romeo and Juliet, Brothers in Arms, Walk of Life, Money for Nothing and even Telegraph Road(even longer than the album version :D). Then there was also: What It Is, Rudiger, Why Aye Man, Sailing to Philadelphia, Done with Bonaparte, Boom, Like That, Speedway at Nazareth, Our Shangri-La, So Far Away, Local hero wild theme.

The only song you aint gona hear for sure is tunnel of love :moan:

Oh and btw listen to your local radio as well, cause here he gave away a guitar, there was a game in one radio station and the winner met MK after the concert and got the fender strat from mark.

OP
    V

V

Jun 8, 2005
  • Thread Starter #15
    • V

V

in 2005 shangri la tour, estonia. I think he will play DS songs as well, if he is in croatia after 20 years again. Here he played a lot of differant songs: ofcourse the old ones Sultans Of Swing, Romeo and Juliet, Brothers in Arms, Walk of Life, Money for Nothing and even Telegraph Road(even longer than the album version :D). Then there was also: What It Is, Rudiger, Why Aye Man, Sailing to Philadelphia, Done with Bonaparte, Boom, Like That, Speedway at Nazareth, Our Shangri-La, So Far Away, Local hero wild theme.

The only song you aint gona hear for sure is tunnel of love :moan:

Oh and btw listen to your local radio as well, cause here he gave away a guitar, there was a game in one radio station and the winner met MK after the concert and got the fender strat from mark.
    Wow, now that's a seriously good repertoire. You're lucky man, I'd be thrilled if I got to hear all those songs on his concert here. Telegraph road is that kind of song which you can make last long as you like if you know what you're doing, and since it's Knopfler I'm sure the guitar solos were coming down one after the other like an avalanche. :D That's definetly one of my favourite songs.

Why so sure about Tunnel Of Love? That's a shame if it's true..

Cool, I'll put my mom on the job :D , I very rarely listen to radio. We don't have quality radio stations here..

OP
    V

V

Jun 8, 2005
  • Thread Starter #17
    • V

V

Next year in June. He will play in Zagreb's arena "Dom Sportova".

Stephan

Nov 9, 2005
    Wow, now that's a seriously good repertoire. You're lucky man, I'd be thrilled if I got to hear all those songs on his concert here. Telegraph road is that kind of song which you can make last long as you like if you know what you're doing, and since it's Knopfler I'm sure the guitar solos were coming down one after the other like an avalanche. :D That's definetly one of my favourite songs.

Why so sure about Tunnel Of Love? That's a shame if it's true..

Cool, I'll put my mom on the job :D , I very rarely listen to radio. We don't have quality radio stations here..
    The real reason is unknown for me, but the piano player in that song broked up with the gang. But they could get another piano player so thats why i dont know what the real reason really is. But since mark started his individual career he hasnt played it in the live concerts.
    The other reason might be that it was co-written with John Illsley (bass guitarist) and he didnt give him the rights.

OP
    V

V

Jun 8, 2005
  • Thread Starter #19
    • V

V

The real reason is unknown for me, but the piano player in that song broked up with the gang. But they could get another piano player so thats why i dont know what the real reason really is. But since mark started his individual career he hasnt played it in the live concerts.
    The other reason might be that it was co-written with John Illsley (bass guitarist) and he didnt give him the rights.
    It's probabyl because of the rights to the song.

But who knows, if they play it, I'll record it on my cell and play it for you. :p

Stephan

Nov 9, 2005
    with a huge banner " i want tunnel of love" and :money: in your hand while saying " i buy the other half of the rights of this song, who knows. :p

its not gona happen, hasnt happened for more then 12 years.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)