Mario Mandžukić (129 Viewers)

Legend or Rookie?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005
Mario does well in the CL because games are usually more open. Put him in winger against well organized and defensive sides in Italy and we are a man down.

We need players (Cuads/DC/Bernie) that can be used to unlock those teams. Mario obviously is not the person for that.

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013
Mario does well in the CL because games are usually more open. Put him in winger against well organized and defensive sides in Italy and we are a man down.

We need players (Cuads/DC/Bernie) that can be used to unlock those teams. Mario obviously is not the person for that.
we played without wingers today, but it was Verona and we have Coppa midweek, so this game was always about getting the result without much effort. i dont even care that much who plays such games (usually prefer some youngsters mixed into the lineup), but in important games, Mandzukic is our guy, along with Cuads/DC/Berna on the other side.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
we played without wingers today, but it was Verona and we have Coppa midweek, so this game was always about getting the result without much effort. i dont even care that much who plays such games (usually prefer some youngsters mixed into the lineup), but in important games, Mandzukic is our guy, along with Cuads/DC/Berna on the other side.
I'd be curious to see the 4-3-1-2 diamond with Mandzu-Dybala in front of Bernadeschi in some big games.

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013
I'd be curious to see the 4-3-1-2 diamond with Mandzu-Dybala in front of Bernadeschi in some big games.
i wish we had a beast b2b mid that covers everything wide and centrally and still presses high, instead of Khedira. that would be an interesting formation then for sure. but with Sami, i think Berna would make it more of a 442, because Khedira would be next to Pjanic and then someone would have to cover that right side on defense. i think if we were to see such formation, the earliest would be next season. i said so early in the season too, but i would like to see a 4231 with Berna behind Dybala, thats still my favorite one. Mandzo-Costa/Cuads on the wings. it looks like it has balance defensively and firepower offensively, but Max likes Higuain too much to try it sadly

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
Hopefully this experiment of him as a winger has run its course.

No more.
It's fine when Mandzukic actually does what he is supposed to do. When he decides to put 30% effort into a game it could be any random player out there. He doesn't have the natural talent of someone like Dybala to get away with it.

- - - Updated - - -

I was about to substitute Mandzukic just before the goal, as when the situation seems to be 'easy’ he tends to go into stand-by mode and save energy.”
Said this in the match thread. He really does do it, you can see something just clicks in his head and he goes into zombie mode.

Next time someone else can take his place.

Hydde

Minimiliano Tristelli
Mar 6, 2003
“With Mario Mandzukic basically acting as the fourth midfielder, we were lacking something in width. We lost the ball repeatedly and allowed Verona so many counter-attacks. They are in good shape and run hard, so it was a dangerous fixture.

“Plus Juventus hadn’t won in Verona in Serie A since 2001, so it was not to be taken for granted by any means. I was about to substitute Mandzukic just before the goal, as when the situation seems to be ‘easy’ he tends to go into stand-by mode and save energy.”

Is Allegri taking shots?
Deservedly so. No one should go away without criticism. Mandz was MIA today,

This is exactly true of Mandzukic. When it's 1-0, he doesn't always put in the attacking effort to go for 2-0.
I think he does that because he doesnt have the drive or the legs todo what he did last year. When eh was switched to LW, it was a great oportunity for him to get playtime and not be benched by higuain. He sacrificed for the team and discovered that by running like a madman, he could get places. But not anymore. Now he knows he has that place for granted so maybe he doesnt have enough drive to push himself to his limits like last year. Also i think he is missing being a striker.. so thats another layer of unconfort.

- - - Updated - - -

Hopefully this experiment of him as a winger has run its course.

No more.
Please this.-

DeviAngel

Oct 3, 2014
“With Mario Mandzukic basically acting as the fourth midfielder, we were lacking something in width. We lost the ball repeatedly and allowed Verona so many counter-attacks. They are in good shape and run hard, so it was a dangerous fixture."

Allegri after the game today..

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
If anything Allegri is too kind. Mandzu was completely worthless today. Basically Matuidi took over his duties in linking up with a beastly Sandro while Mandzu just stood around.

Skickat från min SM-G930F via Tapatalk

pavelnel

Oct 24, 2006
I see that there are people who continue to rate Mandzu to be better CF than Higuain....Well, there are people who think a generic software code is worth 13 000 USD...The same people also belive in 9/11 to be an insider job and that LOTR is a documentary...

Изпратено от моят HUAWEI LYO-L21 с помощта на Tapatalk

LiquidPLP

Jun 9, 2012
He's not that young anymore to expect him to put so much effort. He spoiled us with his performances as LM last season, it's obvious he wouldn't be able to play like this all season long.

It's about time Allegri stops seeing him as a fixed starter, especially now that we've got so much talent on the bench. Bernardeschi and Costa should be playing way more while Mandzukic is useful only in specific situations unless he turns his never-stop-running mode.

One thing I cannot stand lately is Mandzukic and Higuain together on the pitch. We're so static with those two; we literally ask for trouble with such an approach - only moments of individual brilliance can save us.

Boksic

May 11, 2005
“With Mario Mandzukic basically acting as the fourth midfielder, we were lacking something in width. We lost the ball repeatedly and allowed Verona so many counter-attacks. They are in good shape and run hard, so it was a dangerous fixture.

“Plus Juventus hadn’t won in Verona in Serie A since 2001, so it was not to be taken for granted by any means. I was about to substitute Mandzukic just before the goal, as when the situation seems to be 'easy’ he tends to go into stand-by mode and save energy.”

Is Allegri taking shots?
Fair comments I would say.

Overall this season I'd say he hasn't tracked back and worked as much as last season. In the big games you know that he will put in the shift but he hasn't done it in lesser games or when we are leading. I'd say it is a big factor in why the 4-2-3-1 hasn't worked this season.

Last year Mandzukic was out of the team and forced his way into the line-up by impressive performances and an unbelievable work rate against every team, maybe he has been a little complacent this year.

Juventus 1897

Apr 4, 2013
If anything Allegri is too kind. Mandzu was completely worthless today. Basically Matuidi took over his duties in linking up with a beastly Sandro while Mandzu just stood around.

Skickat från min SM-G930F via Tapatalk
Well he is kind and fair in the same time :D, it actually proves that no one has the place guaranteed in the team, well maybe except khedira, you just cannot take off mandzu when he plays with his incredible grinta, but wasn't the case yesterday.

- - - Updated - - -

He's not that young anymore to expect him to put so much effort. He spoiled us with his performances as LM last season, it's obvious he wouldn't be able to play like this all season long.

It's about time Allegri stops seeing him as a fixed starter, especially now that we've got so much talent on the bench. Bernardeschi and Costa should be playing way more while Mandzukic is useful only in specific situations unless he turns his never-stop-running mode.

One thing I cannot stand lately is Mandzukic and Higuain together on the pitch. We're so static with those two; we literally ask for trouble with such an approach - only moments of individual brilliance can save us.
That's why we have Paulo and Miralem.

Hydde

Minimiliano Tristelli
Mar 6, 2003

Thats what i said and i totally agree with this. His time as a winger is over.

- - - Updated - - -

Well he is kind and fair in the same time :D, it actually proves that no one has the place guaranteed in the team, well maybe except khedira, you just cannot take off mandzu when he plays with his incredible grinta, but wasn't the case yesterday.

- - - Updated - - -

That's why we have Paulo and Miralem.
I think those 2 should not carry the burden of others underperforming.

Juventus 1897

Apr 4, 2013
Thats what i said and i totally agree with this. His time as a winger is over.

- - - Updated - - -

I think those 2 should not carry the burden of others underperforming.
Yes, absolutely, but when we have a hard game or an unbreakable defence ahead, these 2 are the most likely to take us out of the trouble, like Paulo did yesterday, miralem against bologna, they have creative skills + they are our best free kick takers and many times that can win us a game, sure that doesn't mean the others are not capable, Juan decided some games in the past like he did against Lyon or inter last year, higuain can also decide games with his shooting when he plays at his best, he did last year couple of times, sure mandzu came with the greatest moment when it mattered the most in the final against real, but I don't see him do it too often.

Nedved96

Sep 1, 2017
The primary purpose of an attacking player should be to create and score as many goals as possible. If they aren't doing that, then there's no point of playing them. We already have Sandro and Matuidi on that left hand side, we don't need anymore defensive cover. We need someone with excellent technical ability and close control who can break down defenses and create openings.

You play Mario as a striker or you don't play him at all.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 128)