Mario Lemina (3 Viewers)

Dominic

Jan 30, 2004
The more I see of him the less I rate him, I get bias but no idea why so many people love this guy. I don't even trust him as a sub but thankfully for us we're lightyears ahead in Serie A and could probably accommodate anybody from this forum in a Serie A game and win comfortably.
Yeah, i feel the same way about Lemina. More often than not our midfield play is terrible, if he starts. Especially of accompanied by another average performer like asamoah or Sturaro last season. Cant stamp authory on the play. Then again should never be the axis in 352 to begin with.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Hydde

Minimiliano Tristelli
Mar 6, 2003
Because he's great in a B2B role, not even Osman has confidence in him as a straight up DM

- - - Updated - - -

Pogba never played as a DM other than some random Coppa ties under Conte, dafuq you on about

In a Pogba role, Lemina is pretty damn good actually
wat? he was a def midfielder who happened to be pretty skilled to push forward, so he ended as a box to box.

And Lemina being great as a B2b is some overhype until he demonstrate it with consistency.

Ocelot

Midnight Marauder
Jul 13, 2013
wat? he was a def midfielder who happened to be pretty skilled to push forward, so he ended as a box to box.

And Lemina being great as a B2b is some overhype until he demonstrate it with consistency.
Pogba? After Conte at the beginning experimented a bit by putting him as a Pirlo sub he's virtually exclusively been employed as a box to box midfielder - Lemina routinely does well in that role (though of course far from Pogba levels).

Mike C

Jul 28, 2016
He is far from being proper regista, b2b still suits him better.
You're right, because He's not there to be a regista, he's there to hold the ball, win possession, assist the defense, be an outlet for a pass back, then distribute to the people who are creative and playing in more attacking roles. His mistakes were being careless and losing possession, not him not being creative. Idk why people expect anyone sitting in front of the defense to be sending miracle passes out, that is not his specialty nor his role. not every DM is supposed to be regista. Regista =\= DM, a regista is one possible function of someone in a DM role.

Robee

Jun 21, 2011
He's not there to play as a regista as @Mike C says. Playing as a DM does not mean you're suddenly a regista. But our 3-5-2 scream for one with the wide players needing service when pushing forward and enabling our strikers to stay close to goal and lighten the burden of creating for them. That's why Marchisio and Pjanic are so vital to this team. I can only see us firing all the cilinders when Il Principino returns.

Juvellino

Mar 19, 2015
We get it people don't think he's a DM. Well who would you like to see there? Marchisio is out and personally I would like to see Pjanic further up the pitch instead of regista. So Lemina is the only option unless you would like to see Hernanes on the pitch. Pjanic-Lemina-Khedira is the best we can do for now.

The Quazis

Dec 21, 2012
I think he was afraid to take risks against Sevilla. As B2B he's not a world-beater either but I hope he can improve. He doesn't have the passing ability to play in Marchi's position so until Il Principino returns we need to put Pjanic there.

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
I think he was afraid to take risks against Sevilla. As B2B he's not a world-beater either but I hope he can improve. He doesn't have the passing ability to play in Marchi's position so until Il Principino returns we need to put Pjanic there.
I prefer holding him in this position only doing defensive work aslong as he plays with Pjanic, Pjanic is better off having offensive CM role as we saw vs Sassuolo. Regista for Pjanic wouldnt give him the freedom to move and the fantastic interplay he had with the attack and the rest, would mainly be more short passing near defenders and long through balls if he plays regista.

While if Lemina plays CM with Pjanic as regista, Lemina will still be the same defensive minded player, one who will do a bit better because he will be under less pressure with the ball and be able to use his physically on the move more, but essentially the difference between his two roles isnt as significantly useful IMO to the team as it would be in Pjanic's case when he gets to play an attacking CM instead of a more restrictive holding mid (I dont say this only based on couple games with us, Pjanic was average as deep playing mid for Roma).

Vlad

In Allegri We Trust
May 23, 2011
What he played vs Sevilla requires better sense for positioning, making yourself available for your teammates to pass you the ball at all time and you need to carry it and avoid making mistakes in the process or do few quick one twos to get out of trouble. None of which he seems capable.

Juvellino

Mar 19, 2015
I prefer holding him in this position only doing defensive work aslong as he plays with Pjanic, Pjanic is better off having offensive CM role as we saw vs Sassuolo. Regista for Pjanic wouldnt give him the freedom to move and the fantastic interplay he had with the attack and the rest, would mainly be more short passing near defenders and long through balls if he plays regista.

While if Lemina plays CM with Pjanic as regista, Lemina will still be the same defensive minded player, one who will do a bit better because he will be under less pressure with the ball and be able to use his physically on the move more, but essentially the difference between his two roles isnt as significantly useful IMO to the team as it would be in Pjanic's case when he gets to play an attacking CM instead of a more restrictive holding mid (I dont say this only based on couple games with us, Pjanic was average as deep playing mid for Roma).
:agree:

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
You guys deserve Hernanes as DM losing balls of his bad first touch.
Indeed :D

Truthfully speaking for the teams sake, until all are healthy, even if he is not ideal for it and struggled recently I still prefer keeping Lemina in this role until Marchisio comes back, it frees up Pjanic, and Lemina is better DM then the rest.

Kopanja

Jul 30, 2015
You're right, because He's not there to be a regista, he's there to hold the ball, win possession, assist the defense, be an outlet for a pass back, then distribute to the people who are creative and playing in more attacking roles. His mistakes were being careless and losing possession, not him not being creative. Idk why people expect anyone sitting in front of the defense to be sending miracle passes out, that is not his specialty nor his role. not every DM is supposed to be regista. Regista =\= DM, a regista is one possible function of someone in a DM role.
Not sure about bolded part. He is not supposed to be Pirlo and slice opponents defence in one pass. But he should be able to start our offence with vertical pass and keep the passing flow. Marchisio doesn't have the passing ability of Pirlo (no one has though), but he is the one who changes the rhythm of the game.

The Quazis

Dec 21, 2012

Agreed. What I was missing from Lemina when he played in between the lines were the long balls. We tended to play short passes mostly and get caught by Sevilla pressing players very often. A long ball to LWB or RWB (depending on the situation) would allow to escape from Sevilla's pressing and give more space to attack. Unfortunately Lemina doesn't have that long pass skill Marchisio and Pjanic have. That's why I was thinking it could be an interesting idea to put Pjanic deeper.

What he played vs Sevilla requires better sense for positioning, making yourself available for your teammates to pass you the ball at all time and you need to carry it and avoid making mistakes in the process or do few quick one twos to get out of trouble. None of which he seems capable.
I think that positioning and making yourself available is something that Lemina can acquire. His technical ability is also good. We have to keep in mind that the position he played is very difficult. For example, when Pogba was deployed there he always looked very average.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)