Marco Borriello (4 Viewers)

Do you want Borriello to stay, and do you think he will?

• I want him to stay, and I think he will :)

• I hope he leaves, but I think he'll stay :mad:

• I want him to stay, but I think he'll leave :sad:

• I think we'll ship his ass off. Good riddance! :D

• I want him to stay, but at a much lower price

Results are only viewable after voting.

Fake Melo

Ghost Division
Sep 3, 2010

Full name Marco Borriello
Date of birth 18 June 1982 (age 28)
Place of birth Naples, Italy
Height 1.85 m (6 ft 1 in)
Playing position Striker​

Boriello came up through the ranks of Milan but, without having the opportunity to prove himself, he was transferred to Treviso in a joint-ownership deal. He made his professional debut for Triestina at Serie C2. His 10 goals in 27 Serie C1 games caused Milan to recall him in June 2002.

Milan

Boriello made his Serie A debut for AC Milan on 21 September 2002 against Perugia but failed to establish himself and spent much of the next few years on loan at other Serie A clubs.

After only 3 appearances for Milan, he went on loan to league rival Empoli for the rest of the 2002–2003 season. He returned to Milan for the 2003–04 season, playing in just 4 games. In the 2004–05 season, he was on loan to Reggina and in the 2005–06 season, he was once again sent on loan, this time to Sampdoria along with Milan team mate Samuele Dalla Bona. Boriello left Sampdoria in January 2006 for a six-month loan stint at Treviso where he scored his then career best of 5 Serie A goals.

Borriello was recalled to the Milan first team in Summer 2006 after Milan sold star striker Andriy Shevchenko to Chelsea F.C. and Marcio Amoroso was released from the club. But just when he looked assured of first team football, his future was put in jeopardy when on 21 December 2006, while serving his first full Milan season, he tested positive in a drug test for prednisolone and prednisone after the 11th match of the 2006/2007 Serie A season. After confirmation of the test results in January 2007, he was suspended until 21 March 2007.

Borriello later admitted he had taken the substances to treat an STI he had caught from his girlfriend at the time.

Genoa

On 21 June 2007, Boriello was sold to Genoa in a co-ownership deal with Milan.

On 26 September 2007, Borriello helped newly-promoted Genoa get their first win of the season back in Italy's top flight, netting his first hat-trick at the expense of Udinese Calcio. The game ended 3–2, with the striker scoring from the spot in the 76th minute. Incidentally, in the return match on 24 February 2008 in Udine, Borriello hit another hat-trick in a 5–3 away win, reaching 15 league goals in the process. He finished the season with 19, third behind Juventus pair Alessandro Del Piero and David Trézéguet.

Return to Milan

Following the sale of Alberto Gilardino to Fiorentina, it was confirmed on 29 May 2008 that Borriello would return to Milan as his replacement in a deal that would include the move of Davide Di Gennaro to Genoa under a 50% ownership deal, plus a reported €10 million.

Shortly before the eventual signing of Ronaldinho by Milan, Borriello's agent claimed his client might look for playing time at another club if the club bought another striker. However, the signing of Ronaldinho was not seen as a threat to Borriello's position as the Brazilian plays as a supporting striker or an attacking midfielder.

2008–09 season

In Borriello's first season of his second spell at Milan, he made just 7 Serie A appearances scoring just 1 goal, against Reggina. He also scored against F.C. Zurich in the UEFA Cup, but an unfortunate injury kept him out of action for the rest of the season. After star man Kaká left the club in the summer 2009 transfer window, Borriello chose to move to shirt number 22 which he had worn at Genoa.

2009–10 season

After a disappointing first season, Borriello scored his first ever brace for the Rossoneri in their 2–0 win over Parma on 1 November 2009. On November 25, Borriello scored his first Champions League goal against Marseille in a match that finished 1–1. Ahead of a fine run of form, Borriello scored another brace in Milan's 5–2 defeat of former club Genoa, one of his goals being an acrobatic bicycle kick from a cross from Ronaldinho. The following week Borriello scored a lovely goal against A.C. Siena, when he hooked a 30 yard chipped pass from Pirlo into the top corner first time from an acute angle in a move that brought back memories of Marco Van Basten's strike for Holland against the USSR in Euro 1988.[2] On 21 February 2010, Borriello scored his fourth volley of the season in Milan's 2–0 win over Bari. On 11 April, he scored two second half goals to help Milan come from 2–0 down to draw against Catania. Borriello finished the season with 14 league goals in 26 appearances.

AS Roma
2010-11 season

He started the first game of the season for Milan against U.S. Lecce. On 31 August 2010, he was loaned to Roma for free (where he then scored the winning goal against Milan at the San Siro on 19 December), with the obligation to purchase the player's rights before the 2011-2012 season for the payment of €10 million split in 3 years. He signed a 1+4-year contract; in the first year he would earn €4.5 million (in gross/pre-tax salary, excluded bonuses), an amount increasing to €5.4million in the following years.

He scored 11 goals in Serie A, two in Coppa Italia and four in Champions League. Total of 17 goals for Roma in 2010-11 season.

2011-12 season

With the addition of Pablo Osvaldo to the team, Borriello has not been getting as much time on the pitch as part of the first eleven. He played only 7 matches (2 as a starter). It looks like he will be leaving Roma in the January transfer window with Marsille and Juventus interested in his services Roma will agree to loan him till June and that sell him.

International career

Borriello received his first Italian national team call-up for a friendly against Portugal, which took place on 6 February 2008 in Zürich, Switzerland. He replaced Luca Toni for the final twenty minutes, with Italy winning 3–1. He also played the next two friendlies, coming on as a substitute for Toni on both occasions, and was in the squad for Euro 2008 but did not play.

He was in Lippi's 28-men provisional 2010 FIFA World Cup squad, but was not included in the 23-men final squad.

Personal life

Borriello grew up in the area of San Giovanni a Teduccio in Napoli. His father died in his teens, and he was raised along with siblings Fabio and Piergiorgio by his mother Margherita. He has dated Argentinian model and showgirl Belén Rodriguez.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Mark

The Informer
Administrator
Dec 19, 2003
2 threads melo? really? :D

anyway, welcome Marco. A goal each presence or you're out! :)

now clean that 1st post dude, pic, bold some stuff...:D

OP
Fake Melo

Fake Melo

Ghost Division
Sep 3, 2010
  • Thread Starter #5
    2 threads melo? really? :D

anyway, welcome Marco. A goal each presence or you're out! :)

now clean that 1st post dude, pic, bold some stuff...:D
    I didn't know what happened, the second time I realized it was locked :D

I'll know for next time.

Marceℓℓo

Mar 16, 2007
    Not very excited about this transfer, but he's surely a step forward compared to the likes of Iaquinta,Amauri and Toni. A transfer that only makes sense if we get rid of the dead wood in attack. I'm pretty sure we will send his ass back to Roma once the loan is over and get us a really good striker.

For the moment being we have Matri,Vucinic, Quagliarella,Del Piero and Borriello which is pretty good for Serie A only.

May 22, 2007
    If we manage to get rid of at least two of Amauri, Iaquinta and Toni (preferably the former two), then this transfer will be decent. He isn't rubbish or constantly injured which is a plus.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)