Mancio relies on young guns (1 Viewer)

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
Mancio relies on young guns
Monday 9 August, 2004

Roberto Mancini insists Adriano and Obafemi Martins will be his first choice pairing this season, but both could miss the Basel clash.

“Adriano and Martins will create an incredible partnership upfront, not just this year but for a decade to come. Perhaps I will teach them a trick or two.”

This is an important statement from the former Sampdoria and Lazio legend, who had convinced Christian Vieri to stay on at the club despite interest from Real Madrid and Juventus.

“Vieri won’t play every single game,” conceded Mancini, “but I’m sure his input will allow us to win a few matches.”

The Italian international is notoriously ill tempered when forced to sit on the bench, as Alberto Zaccheroni learned last season when Vieri often refused to take his seat.

However, there are rather more pressing problems for the Nerazzurri as they prepare for Wednesday’s Champions’ League preliminary round trip to Basel.

There are injury worries to contend with, as Vieri, Martins, Fabio Cannavaro, Cristiano Zanetti and the suspended Sinisa Mihajlovic are out of action, while Nicolas Burdisso is at the Olympics with Argentina.

“I don’t know if Adriano will be able to play,” admitted Mancini as the Brazilian returned to Italy this morning following the tragic death of his father last week. “He is free to choose what he wants to do, but obviously we’d love to have him with us in Switzerland.”

It looks likely that Alvaro Recoba will take one of the starting places, with Julio Cruz perhaps stepping in if Adriano is not 100 per cent fit.

“The Swiss outfit are not to be underestimated,” he told the Gazzetta dello Sport, “as they have already beaten Manchester United and Juventus on their home turf. Above all, they are five weeks into their League season and are therefore at a more advanced stage of fitness preparation.”

Much is expected of Inter this season, as Mancini must provide entertaining play as well as results.

“Attractive football is a way of getting victories rather than an end in itself. At Inter there is a fear of failure and the best way to be rid of that is for players to enjoy their work, but that doesn't mean the result is secondary."

"I have learnt a lot from maestros of the game like Vujadin Boskov and Sven Goran Eriksson, but I can see Arrigo Sacchi’s influence in a lot of my teams.”

Meanwhile, it has been confirmed that English referee Graham Poll will be in charge of Inter’s crunch match against Swiss outfit Basel and German official Herbert Fandel oversees Juve’s tie with Djurgarden.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Len

Feb 13, 2004
Hehe......:LOL:

Interesting though......Mancio doesn't really have Vieri as a main part of his plans.....

OP

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
  • Thread Starter #4
    Yep :D

My record is 13 (useless) threads in one day :D

On topic tho, there's gonna be hell at Inter this season, with players like Cordoba, Materazzi, C. Zanetti, Cambiasso, van der Meyde, Kily Gonzalez, Emre, Recoba, Vieri, Cruz on the bench.

This is their first team, 34 players: (taken from inter.it)

CORDAZ ALEX January 1 1983 Italy
    FONTANA ALBERTO January 23 1967 Italy
    TOLDO FRANCESCO December 2 1971 Italy

DEFENDERS
    ADANI DANIELE July 10 1974 Italy
    BURDISSO NICOLAS ANDRES April 12 1981 Argentina
    CANNAVARO FABIO September 13 1973 Italy
    COCO FRANCESCO January 8 1977 Italy
    CORDOBA IVAN RAMIRO August 11 1976 Colombia
    FAVALLI GIUSEPPE January 8 1972 Italy
    MATERAZZI MARCO August 19 1973 Italy
    MIHAJLOVIC SINISA February 20 1969 Serbia & Montenegro
    PASQUALE GIOVANNI January 5 1982 Italy
    SORONDO GONZALO October 9 1979 Uruguay
    ZANETTI JAVIER August 10 1973 Argentina
    ZE MARIA FERREIRA JOSE’ MARCELO July 25 1973 Brazil

MIDFIELDERS
    CAMBIASSO ESTEBAN MATIAS August 18 1980 Argentina
    DAVIDS EDGAR March 13 1973 Holland
    EMRE BELOZOGLU September 7 1980 Turkey
    FARINOS FRANCISCO JAVIER March 29 1978 Spain
    KARAGOUNIS GIORGOS March 6 1977 Greece
    KILY GONZALEZ CRISTIAN ALBERTO PERET August 4 1974 Argentina
    LAMOUCHI SABRI November 9 1971 France
    STANKOVIC DEJAN September 11 1978 Serbia & Montenegro
    VAN DER MEYDE ANDY September 30 1979 Holland
    VERON JUAN SEBASTIAN March 9 1975 Argentina
    ZANETTI CRISTIANO April 10 1977 Italy

FORWARDS
    ADRIANO LEITE RIBEIRO February 17 1982 Brazil
    CHOUTOS LAMPROS December 7 1979 Greece
    CRUZ JULIO RICARDO October 10 1974 Argentina
    MARTINS OBAFEMI October 28 1984 Nigeria
    RECOBA ALVARO March 17 1976 Uruguay
    VENTOLA NICOLA May 24 1978 Italy
    VIERI CHRISTIAN July 12 1973 Italy
    ZICU IANIS ALIN October 23 1983 Romania

Dan

Back & Quack
    Mar 9, 2004
    their squad is too big.. there are gonna be some unhappy players come next season!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)