Managers (1 Viewer)

Majed

Jul 17, 2002
++ [ originally posted by mikhail ] ++
What's wrong with Ranieri?

I don't know much about his time in Italy, but in England, he came in and stabilised a Chelsea team which had up to then been known as inconsistant and underperforming. With almost no money, he rebuilt a seriously ageing squad.

Now he has bucket-loads of money, and he's bought pretty well (apart from maybe Veron), and only lost two games this season, one of which was against Arsenal with all three of his established centre-halves injured.
Sorry, but i disagree...

i dont think he's anything special. dont get me wrong, i dont think he sucks, but he isn't that good either.

The only reason Chelsea finally stablized was when Roman Abramovic showed up. Chelsea were staying alive only because the remanence of Vialli's solid team was keeping Chelsea Alive. Chelsea may have been inconsistant, but they played beautiful football when Vialli was manager. even Guilt had more success in Chelsea where he made Chelsea one of the top 5 teams of the EPL when they were crap before.

Ignoring Chelsea's so far success in the CL this year (because of Abramovic and all the stars not because of Ranieri), they have crashed in the UEFA Cup a couple of times under Ranieri where as Vialli had them in the CL quarter finals.

i believe, the players bought this season were from the Russian dude's choice not Ranieri.

The only think i give him high credit for is rotating all the big stars at his disposal and keeping them happy (so far!!)

Chelsea have much more potential and i dont think Ranieri is the man to guide Chelsea to fill that enourmous potential.

Buy on AliExpress.com

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
Actually, Vialli left that club in a state. They had a midfield whose average age was 36, and while they played nice football, they didn't ever look like threatening to win the league. Vialli spent a load of money, and delivered relatively little for it.

Ranieri took over a team which had just had a woeful start to the season, and was told that he had a bank balance of -£80,000,000 to work with. Note the minus sign.

He kept them afloat, got them winning again, and built the team up to the point where they made the Champions League last season, without any money to spend. that took a lot of skill that many other managers don't have.

Top that off with the fact that he has had to deal with firstly Mr Blobby (Ken Bates), a notorious sacaholic, and then Roman Abramovich, who's wanted to meddle more than a lot of people would like. The threat to his job is still there, but he keeps his head up anyway, and has gotten a team which every pundit in England insisted would take time to gel, to play like a team that's been together for years.

Oh, and Ranieri made the shopping list. Abramovich just tacked on a player or two.

Majed

Jul 17, 2002
++ [ originally posted by mikhail ] ++
Actually, Vialli left that club in a state. They had a midfield whose average age was 36, and while they played nice football, they didn't ever look like threatening to win the league. Vialli spent a load of money, and delivered relatively little for it.

Ranieri took over a team which had just had a woeful start to the season, and was told that he had a bank balance of -£80,000,000 to work with. Note the minus sign.

He kept them afloat, got them winning again, and built the team up to the point where they made the Champions League last season, without any money to spend. that took a lot of skill that many other managers don't have.

Top that off with the fact that he has had to deal with firstly Mr Blobby (Ken Bates), a notorious sacaholic, and then Roman Abramovich, who's wanted to meddle more than a lot of people would like. The threat to his job is still there, but he keeps his head up anyway, and has gotten a team which every pundit in England insisted would take time to gel, to play like a team that's been together for years.

Oh, and Ranieri made the shopping list. Abramovich just tacked on a player or two.
point taken with him reducing the avarge age and buying some quality youngsters. :thumb:

i still dont see him as a Winner. Maybe becuase i've started supprting Chelsea because they played wounderful football and they shocked many team (Remember Barca in the CL? :cool: )

he's got plenty to work with now. I'll give my verdict about him by the end of this season. he'd better at least make 2nd place in the EPL and the knockout stage in the CL.
when you watch Chelsea's games this season, you get the feeling that they've been lucky. Their victories aren't very solid. (i understand that the new players need time, but they should start playing better by now).

Is other words: He has to prove himself on the field as well as off the field.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)