Managers do not win you games but they can lose it for you (5 Viewers)

Stephan

Nov 9, 2005
denco said:
I have said this before when i was refering to the demerits of Capello and I have seen Kaiser France reiterate
What do you guys think?
Do you guys believe that managers are overrated?
or do you believe a manager is the most valuable member of a team
yes, capello for once is overrated. did the man even knew about other formations than 4-4-2? and looks like moggi is the real "manager" who got us the trophys during these 2 years. Some keep telling about his wins in the leagues, but thats because he consentrates on one league only, we were poor in the CL.

Some managers are overrated, some are not.

Scolari is also a bit overrated, his portugal team didnt impresse me at all. I really expected more from portugal.

Buy on AliExpress.com

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
denco said:
I have said this before when i was refering to the demerits of Capello and I have seen Kaiser France reiterate
What do you guys think?
I think about many things pretty often.

Do you guys believe that managers are overrated?
No, in general they are not; certain managers are everrated, yes.

or do you believe a manager is the most valuable member of a team
No.

Jun-hide

Dec 16, 2002
Had a good chat about this with a friend who was semi-professional footballer.

Anyway, the conclusion I made was that a lot of work done managers are not done behind the closed doors in training and other preparations regarding the game. Of course we fans only see team selections, substitutions and some ranting down the sidelines, which are obviously important part of game, but it seems hard to judge managers fairly purely based on these attributes.

Personally, I think Pekerman is an outstanding manager in constructing a team that understands each other so well, and capable of playing some brilliant football.
Playing football is just more than selecting best players, setting formations & tactics, and click play, as in Championship Manager. It requires understanding player's mental psyche, physical condition, and the chemistry within the team in general. Obviously I agree with Denco in that Pekerman has made some absurd decisions such as decision to exclude Zanetti & Samuel (Coloccini, Heinze, Scaloni were crap in the WC) and some stupid substitutions, but ignoring these I think he did a good job.

BTW, I think Zac & Capello are two most overrated coach in the world. These guys are tactically clever but have absolutely no flexibility in dealing with personnel. I was estatic when Deschamp was announced as the next coach just because that meant I didnt had to endure Zac era.

Desmond

Jul 12, 2002
For me, a manger's influences on a team is limited and only so much can be achieved through tactics, man-management and motivation. What a coach can do is maximize the chances of winning and minimize any chance of losing; the remaining grey area remains the domain of the players. As such where the coach faces a limit to his ability to change and, if you like, actually win games, the team itself goes beyond that. This is evident mainly when two teams are evenly matched, managerial genius then becomes a larger factor in the equation.

sateeh

Day Walker
Jul 28, 2003
Jun-hide said:
Had a good chat about this with a friend who was semi-professional footballer.

Anyway, the conclusion I made was that a lot of work done managers are not done behind the closed doors in training and other preparations regarding the game. Of course we fans only see team selections, substitutions and some ranting down the sidelines, which are obviously important part of game, but it seems hard to judge managers fairly purely based on these attributes.

Personally, I think Pekerman is an outstanding manager in constructing a team that understands each other so well, and capable of playing some brilliant football.
Playing football is just more than selecting best players, setting formations & tactics, and click play, as in Championship Manager. It requires understanding player's mental psyche, physical condition, and the chemistry within the team in general. Obviously I agree with Denco in that Pekerman has made some absurd decisions such as decision to exclude Zanetti & Samuel (Coloccini, Heinze, Scaloni were crap in the WC) and some stupid substitutions, but ignoring these I think he did a good job.

BTW, I think Zac & Capello are two most overrated coach in the world. These guys are tactically clever but have absolutely no flexibility in dealing with personnel. I was estatic when Deschamp was announced as the next coach just because that meant I didnt had to endure Zac era.
agreed on some points, as we dont know wat the coach does, says during training sessions, match talks..etc

we cant underestimate wat the coahces do, from training to motivation to keep giving 100%. Also taking the pressure, the responsibility for anything that happens.

Apr 8, 2004
Byrone said:
Robben was signed by Mourinho.
Wrong, signed by Ranieri in January transfer window if 03/04, along with Petr Cech, but came to the club at the end of the season as terms of the transfer, and never played under Ranieri.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 5)