Man borrows kids (1 Viewer)

Layce Erayce

Aug 11, 2002
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/story/134827p-120163c.html

Fake dead wife,
borrowed kids in 9/11 rap

By BARBARA ROSS
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

A Pennsylvania man created a phantom wife, claimed she died in the World Trade Center attacks and then staged a funeral - with borrowed kids - to scam more than $100,000 from charities, authorities charged yesterday.
Manhattan prosecutors said Carlton McNish, 51, of Tobyhanna, Pa., reported that his wife had called him from the Cantor Fitzgerald offices at 9:30 a.m. on Sept. 11, 2001, to report that the building was filling with smoke after a plane crashed into it.

Two months later, he staged a funeral for her, using three youngsters from other parents to play the couple's children at a three-minute service, investigators said.

Claiming that his wife was the sole support of him and their three children, McNish then collected $68,000 from the American Red Cross, $30,000 from Safe Horizon, $1,000 from the Salvation Army and $5,000 from the Robin Hood Foundation.

Prosecutors said McNish also got $6,279 from the Red Cross and Safe Horizon for funeral expenses.

The investigation started in March 2002, when Red Cross workers got suspicious because McNish could not provide them with documentation for the children or for his wife's employment at Cantor Fitzgerald.

Authorities said McNish was not even able to confirm whether his wife's first name was spelled Jocelyn, Jaselliny or Jisley.

Ultimately, investigators said they discovered McNish was an unmarried, childless and unemployed construction worker.

In another Sept. 11 fraud case, a New Jersey man who falsely claimed his wife was killed in the attack was sentenced yesterday to 10 years in state prison.

Mark Christopher, 39, of Blackwood had pleaded guilty in September.

For some filings, Christopher used his own name and claimed his wife was named Kim Christopher. For others, he said his name was Mark Palmerri and his wife was Lisa Palmerri.

Authorities said he tried to get more than $140,000 in survivor benefits.

Originally published on November 8, 2003

Buy on AliExpress.com
OP

Layce Erayce

Aug 11, 2002
  • Thread Starter #2
    High school soccer player gets jail sentence for foul

By VALERIE GRACE
    Gannett News Service

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ATHENS -- Daniel Malloy will spend two days in jail for elbowing a Coshocton soccer player during an Oct. 25 regional match.

Athens County Prosecutor C. David Warren said the original felonious assault charge against Malloy was amended to assault Thursday in Athens County Municipal Court. Malloy, 18, an Alexander High School student, pleaded no contest.

Malloy's attorney, Skye Petty, had no comment.

"Initially when they first called me about (the case) ... I thought it was generally an accident," Warren said. "It was clear from the tape that he planned to hurt the player from Coshocton, and you saw him look around to see where the officials were."

During a dead ball, T.J. Helbling was flagrantly fouled by Malloy, taking an elbow to the mouth and damaging four of his teeth badly enough that he won't be able to finish the season. Helbling underwent oral surgery to straighten his lower teeth, which were jammed backward at a sharp angle, and to set his jaw which was broken in two places.

While unsportsmanlike physical contact has been made during sporting events in the past, this particular case is the first Warren recalls where the person involved was an adult which made the offense criminal.

"I don't know so much it will change the schools but it will make people aware that criminal charges can be filed for such actions," said Warren in a previous Gannett News Service story.

After consultation with the victim's family, Malloy was sentenced to 180 days in jail. He will serve two days in jail and the remaining 178 days are suspended. He has to pay restitution -- Helbling's medical bills -- and be a law-abiding citizen for a year.

"It is unfortunate that things happen on the athletic field." Coshocton boys soccer coach Greg Yurjevic said. "It is a spur-of-the-moment type of thing and we have to take action against people. You have to realize that you are responsible for you actions on the field. Athletics is about trying to teach people to control their emotions in a positive way and unfortunately that didn't happen.

"It will certainly make kids think and make coaches aware to talk to their players. It will be something I will bring up next year. They need to think about that and they need to think about their consequences."

According to Warren, total cost of Helbling's damages for restitution are not known at this time.

http://www.zanesvilletimesrecorder.com/news/stories/20031107/localnews/596598.html

OP

Layce Erayce

Aug 11, 2002
  • Thread Starter #3
    http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm...&u=/nm/20031108/od_uk_nm/oukoe_germany_greats

Marx and Einstein vie to be "best German"
    Sat Nov 8,10:36 AM ET

By Erik Kirschbaum

BERLIN (Reuters) - Millions of German television viewers have picked Karl Marx, Albert Einstein, Willy Brandt, and Johann Sebastian Bach among the top 10 "best Germans" of all time in a national call-in contest.

More than 1,300 Germans were nominated for the competition to identify the 10 most important Germans, and a "top 100" list unveiled on Friday night contained a number of surprises. A winner will be selected from the 10 finalists in three weeks.

While sports heroes like Formula One champion Michael Schumacher, Wimbledon (news - web sites) title winner Boris Becker, tennis queen Steffi Graf and football World Cup winner Franz Beckenbauer made it into the top 40, top model Claudia Schiffer and Nobel-prize winning author Guenter Grass weren't even among the first 100.

Organised by Bild newspaper and ZDF television, Germans now have three weeks to cast ballots for the top 10 finalists to pick the "best German" in a competition modelled on a popular British television programme called "Great Britons" that selected war-time Prime Minister Winston Churchill.

In a country long weighted down by guilt from World War Two and leery of idolising national heroes as a reaction to the ultra-national Nazi era, the "best German" contest reflects a growing, if still modest, sense of German patriotism.

"Willy Brandt is my choice for the best because he changed the image of Germany all around the world and presented to the world a new generation of a new Germany," said former Foreign Minister Hans Dietrich Genscher in an appeal for Brandt.

Others to reach the top 10 aside included former chancellors Konrad Adenauer and Otto von Bismarck, poet Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, church reform leader Martin Luther, printing press inventor Johannes Gutenberg, and Sophie Scholl and her brother Hans -- Hitler resistance fighters executed by the Nazis.

HITLER NOT ON LIST

Notable among the top 100 were the high number of those famed for resisting Hitler -- Georg Elsner, Dietrich Bonhoeffer, and Claus Schenk von Stauffenberg. Hitler was not on the list, but Nazi, and later U.S., rocket scientist Wernher von Braun was ranked the 63rd.

Another surprise entry in the top 100 were the so-called "Truemmerfrauen" -- the myriad of women in bucket brigades who cleared away the rubble from bombed out cities after the war. They got the 88th place, ahead of former world champion boxer Max Schmeling, now 97 years old.

Chancellor Gerhard Schroeder was ranked 82nd behind Olympic figure skating champion Katarina Witt (news - web sites) in 70th, composer Richard Wagner at 69th and actress Marlene Dietrich in 50th position.

Foreign Minister Joschka Fischer (52), trailed rock singer Nena (38), Nazi-era businessman Oskar Schindler who saved Jews from death camps (37), Beckenbauer (36), Becker (35), Graf (32), Schumacher (26) and composer Ludwig van Beethoven (12).

Former German Chancellor Helmut Kohl was 13th, ahead of Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart (20) -- a controversial pick because Austria claims the composer as its native son.

An early glimpse of the voting for the final contest that began on Friday showed the trend favouring Einstein, a physicist who fled Nazi Germany for the United States, ahead of Adenauer and Goethe. Marx, the German-born communist philosopher and author of "Das Kapital", and Bismarck were in 10th and ninth place after the first five minutes of voting.

OP

Layce Erayce

Aug 11, 2002
  • Thread Starter #5
    http://www.cnn.com/2003/SHOWBIZ/Music/11/07/bubbasparxx.ap/index.html

Hey y'all, get down with Bubba Sparxxx
    Country and hip-hop and the 'new South'

NEW YORK (AP) -- Bubba Sparxxx's voice is a weird mixture of southern drawl and urban slang. He's polite and humble, but not afraid to slap down a few cusses when necessary.

The self-proclaimed country boy from LaGrange, Georgia, had tremendous success with his first rap CD, "Dark Days, Bright Nights," which debuted at No. 3 on the Billboard chart in 2001. It was propelled by the video for "Ugly," starring several scantily clad babes and a whole bunch of naked pigs.

But he's not too worried about living up to that success. In fact, he doesn't much care about it. His new album "Deliverance," which like his first was produced by label head Timbaland, fuses country and hip-hop in daring fashion. Songs like "Comin' Round" are an all-out hoe-down with fiddles and feet stompin', while others like "Hootnanny" are pure hip-hop.

It's all about the "new South," as Sparxxx calls it, where music isn't ruled by Nashville and the songs focus more on country living.

Q. Where did the name Bubba Sparxxx come from?

SPARXXX: In the rural South, 'bubba' is like how people say 'dude' in California. It's a name for a regular southern man. I know a Chinese bubba, a black bubba ... Sparxxx is something I just came up with. I knew a lot of people that made and ran moonshine back home, and triple-X represents potency. If you get a jug of shine and it has three X's, you know it's the good stuff.

Q. Are you worried you're too country for hip-hop, and too hip-hop for country?

SPARXXX: That's the challenge, isn't it? To walk the line, to bring those two things together. I think we've taken huge strides towards accomplishing it, and there's room for more people. ... I balanced the hee-haw stuff with more serious lyrics, and we tried to liven up serious lyrics with exciting beats.

Q. The photos on your album show you with a rifle, in camouflage, wielding a big knife and holding a jug of moonshine. Is this a gimmick? Or is this really you?

SPARXXX: People really gave it to me after my first album. But look, this is me. If y'all think that where I come from is a joke, you haven't seen country yet.

Q. How do you define the "new South"?

SPARXXX: It's a movement. Making people understand what happens in rural life. We deal with the same violence, drugs and trouble that people do in cities. It's the new South as opposed to the old. The only thing I want to bring along is the charm. The South has been through a lot. It's a different place now in terms of race relations, and backwardness. But I want to see a day when the southern states aren't 40-to-50th in the U.S. for education and stuff. You've gotta bring those issues to light.

Q. Did you really name the album after the creepy movie "Deliverance"?

SPARXXX: Yes, but it wasn't just about the 'squeal like a pig' thing. I mean, John Voight's character, everything that he endured, that's what I'm talking about. He was so comfortable in his suburban life and then he's out there in a survival-of-the-fittest situation, and sees himself rise to the occasion and overcome every obstacle. But of course I like the shock value of the name.

Q. Do you have a pet pig?

SPARXXX: The only examples I know of people actually having pet pigs are "Charlotte's Web" and in that movie "Varsity Blues." Raising and slaughtering pigs is a livelihood where I come from. I mean, where do you think we get bacon from?

Q. What do you think about being compared to Eminem?

SPARXXX: I think I don't deserve to be mentioned in the same breath. Do I think I have the same potential? Yes, but as far as my accomplishments, they don't stand up. I do happen to be a white dude, and the CEO of my label is black, and Eminem also has a CEO who's black and a mentor in Dr. Dre, but I think the comparisons between us begin and end with us both being white.

Q. Who do you want your audience to be?

SPARXXX: Hopefully the same people that buy all hip-hop. There are a lot of people in Omaha, Nebraska, and Fort Payne, Alabama, and LaGrange, Georgia, and Tupelo, Mississippi, that love hip-hop music, and they listen to Jay-Z, and they love it, but there's a certain side of them that can't relate. I'm talking about Asian kids, black kids and white kids, too. They were never there in Brooklyn in the projects. Riding around in their trucks, they may even feel a little embarrassed because they don't get it. That's the Bubba Sparxxx market. That's where I come from.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)