Maldini ponders Italy U-turn (1 Viewer)

delpiero10

Apr 5, 2004
From Channel4....

Milan veteran Paolo Maldini has left the door open for a dramatic return to international football.

Italy boss Giovanni Trapattoni wants the defender in his Euro 2004 squad and the 36-year-old has hinted it could happen.

"I must firstly talk with Trapattoni and then I will talk to the media," Maldini told TV programme Studio Sport.

"Trapattoni and myself have agreed to discuss the matter at the end of the season. That meeting will happen."

Maldini retired after the 2002 World Cup Finals but Trapattoni yesterday confirmed he had real faith in the player.

"Paolo is an exceptional footballer," he told German magazine Kicker. "He has great personality and there isn’t a better pairing than Maldini and Alessandro Nesta."

If Maldini does travel to Portugal then current Azzurri captain Fabio Cannavaro could lose his first team shirt.

Meanwhile, Maldini also commented on his club’s latest success after they won the title at the weekend.

"We’ve started a new winning cycle," added Maldini. "We’ve managed to follow up our Champions’ League win of last year with Lo Scudetto.

"We are very happy even if we aren’t hiding the fact that winning the European Cup was perhaps more satisfying."
-------------------------------------

What a selfish bastard he is, i knew it, he is the type who sit and watch the team qualify to the euro and then when the job is done, he wants to be back!!, and back for what Maldini??? to make another crucial mistake??. It is really a shame if Trap takes him to euro 2004, when we have Ferrari and Cannavaro.
And it is also a bit double moral of Trap to take him and not Baggio!, so age cant be important obviously, then why the hell dont he take Baggio!

Buy on AliExpress.com
OP

delpiero10

Apr 5, 2004
  • Thread Starter #4
    ++ [ originally posted by Don Bes ] ++
    how many years have gonne since his LAst game?
    Last game was against South Corea in WC2002. And that is the match(s) were he made a terrible mistake on Ahn's goal. :fero:

Elnur_E65

Feb 21, 2004
    ++ [ originally posted by delpiero10 ] ++

Last game was against South Corea in WC2002. And that is the match(s) were he made a terrible mistake on Ahn's goal. :fero:
    Yeah, I remember that game very well....

OP

delpiero10

Apr 5, 2004
  • Thread Starter #7
    ++ [ originally posted by Pendir_E65 ] ++

Unfortunatly me too. But even though Maldini was bad, we most remember the referee too :( (but thats another story)

Elnur_E65

Feb 21, 2004

Unfortunatly me too. But even though Maldini was bad, we most remember the referee too :( (but thats another story)
    Exactly.

Referee's name was Moreno Byron, from Ecuador.

Here is his competition record prior to "working" at the World Cup

12 November 1999 Mali : Germany 0-0
    FIFA U17 World Championship New Zealand 1999

14 November 1999 Australia : Germany 2-1 (0-1) (4th Ref)

16 November 1999 Spain : Mexico 0-1 (0-1)

24 November 1999 USA : Australia 2-2 (1-2)

29 June 1999 Peru : Japan 3-2 (0-1)
    Copa America 1999

14 July 1999 Mexico : Brazil 0-2 (0-2)
    Copa America 1999

5 July 1999 Japan : Bolivia 1-1 (0-0)
    Copa America 1999

29 March 2000 Argentina : Chile 4-1 (2-1)
    2002 FIFA World Cup Korea/Japan Prel. Competition CONMEBOL

16 August 2000 Peru : Venezuela 1-0 (0-0)
    2002 FIFA World Cup Korea/Japan Prel. Competition CONMEBOL

After the World Cup independent investigators have found $60,000 of unregistered profits on his bank accounts.

OP

delpiero10

Apr 5, 2004
  • Thread Starter #9
    Yes i know, he is a ****ing *****!!!, he stole the trophy away from Italy, i wish moreno all bad in life!.

OP

delpiero10

Apr 5, 2004
  • Thread Starter #10
    And that it is always Italy that things like that happens to is beginning to frustrate me, peoples think Italy is bad, and that they are just some bad loosers complaining about the referees, (when it is with valid reason), it becomes a paradox.

OP

delpiero10

Apr 5, 2004
  • Thread Starter #11
    But lets hope that it will be a fair championship in Portugal, and Forza Azzurri! ;) (with or without Maldini)

gray

Apr 22, 2003
    Me too :D
    After the World Cup independent investigators have found $60,000 of unregistered profits on his bank accounts.
    And was that figure published by independent journalists? :rolleyes: I'm not saying he's a good referee or anything, but I think some people are just making excuses. Don't get me wrong, I love the Azzurri too, but as they say, blood is thicker than water. Even if Korea did get help from the referee, surely mighty Italy should be able to beat a small asian nation. Italy were having a shite World Cup even from the group stages

Juve_7

Apr 5, 2004
    ++ [ originally posted by Graham ] ++

And was that figure published by independent journalists? :rolleyes: I'm not saying he's a good referee or anything, but I think some people are just making excuses. Don't get me wrong, I love the Azzurri too, but as they say, blood is thicker than water. Even if Korea did get help from the referee, surely mighty Italy should be able to beat a small asian nation. Italy were having a shite World Cup even from the group stages
    i am with you that italy was having a shitty world cup ...but did you ever think why ...do you think that disalowing four perfectly right goals in the group stages wont affect the players moral and perfpormance ... i think what happened to italy had alot to do with referees ..why didnt they play that bad in the first game if they were so much shit,,,
    also about the korea match ...also agree with you that in this match italy deserved to lose ...but were italy supposed to meet Korea in the first place ...if those goals were allowed was italy ganna slip to second place ..
    i really hate making excuses myself and i would love to see italy rise above all bad referees and win even though they were treated unfairly ,,,,but what happened in WC was so obviuosly cheating especially in the group stage ....

Juve_7

Apr 5, 2004

but if you come to ask me all the players made terrible mistakes in the world cup and we cannot leave each one who made a mistake behinde ...
    also to be honest Malsini is having a wonderfull season just like baggio so i think its harsh to base the decesion on taking him or not on his performance in the last world cup

gray

Apr 22, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by Juve_7 ] ++
    but were italy supposed to meet Korea in the first place ...if those goals were allowed was italy ganna slip to second place
    I see your points, but it's not like Korea's a world footballing superpower or anything. Sure, if Italy were drawn against Brazil due to the disallowed goals in the group stages, they'd have a reason to complain... but surely when the Azzurri found out which team they were playing, they thought they couldn't have asked for an easier task

Juve_7

Apr 5, 2004

I see your points, but it's not like Korea's a world footballing superpower or anything. Sure, if Italy were drawn against Brazil due to the disallowed goals in the group stages, they'd have a reason to complain... but surely when the Azzurri found out which team they were playing, they thought they couldn't have asked for an easier task
    i see your point too
    but did you see the staduim ...man the support behinde them was scary playing the home team is always uncalled for by any team in the world .... Korea had a magnefecent crowd and any team at that stage of the tournament would ve had a hard time against them.

Elnur_E65

Feb 21, 2004

Independent investigation, lead by the World Soccer Magazine, which I find to be a pretty bypartisan football related edition.

They were actually consentrating not on Korea-Italy, but on Spain-Italy match, managed by Ghandour Gamal (who also made some extra cash after the WC), when two of Raul's clear goals were dissallowed.

A referee may make a mistake once... ok... twice. But not on several occasions, not in a course of two games. Come on, not duing the World Cup!

At the end of the day, it would be premature to blame Gamal and Byron, Korean NT, or Italy/Spain.

One person to blame is Zepp Blater whose experiments with football is really making everbody nuts (never before were the World Cup playoffs managed by comparatively inexperienced referees from weak federations, which later can be "blamed" for making mistakes).

IncuboRossonero

Inferiority complex
    Nov 16, 2003
    It was a total crock from the start and FIFA lost much respect for putting such a terrible and unqualified ref in a World Cup Match.
    More over, Italy was denied 4-5 offside goals in the tournament where replays later showed they were on-side.
    Moreno was just God awful and obviously had a grudge against Italy. Penalty shot in the first few minutes...Coco knocked in the head and bleeding from the forehead..no call. Goal denied. Totti booked for being tripped. The game should have never reached extra time.
    More over, what can you say when the official after the game says "Typical Italians...they always complain." If you stereotype a nation like that how can you be fair and neutral? Suffice to say he was sent packing after the match.
    Then Korea-Spain: Spain got denied a rightful win over Korea. Goal went in and then the official ruled that in the ball had gone out of bounds 30 seconds earlier so the goal is no good ??????!!!!

Whatever...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)