'Magic moment' for Juventus hero (1 Viewer)

nowhereman

Jul 15, 2002
Tuesday 1 October 2002
Juventus FC striker Alessandro Del Piero admitted that he has had a 'magic' start to the season after scoring twice in the 2-0 win against Newcastle United FC on Tuesday night.

'A magic moment'
The Italian international struck in the 66th and 81st minutes to hand Juventus their second win of UEFA Champions League Group E. "It is a magic moment, I have never started a season like this before," said Del Piero. "But I am obviously even happier for the team because we have started the season so well."

Trademark free-kick
Del Piero had hit the bar in the first half before opening the scoring after the break with a trademark free-kick, won when Nikos Dabizas held him back on the edge of the area. The second goal arrived with nine minutes remaining, Edgar Davids galloping down the left to supply a cross which David Trezeguet left for Del Piero to shoot past Shay Given.

'A bit lucky'
"It is always good to score and I am pleased with the first goal but I was actually a bit lucky for the second as it took a deflection," Del Piero added.

'Two special goals'
And Juventus coach Marcello Lippi praised his star striker, who is into double figures for goals this season, saying: "Newcastle played very well tonight and we needed those two special goals from Del Piero to beat them - and he provided them."

'Special player'
Lippi added: "It is very difficult to say whether he is in his best form ever. But what I can say is that he has finally fully recovered from the bad injury he suffered. He is a special player and they take a bit longer to get back to their peak."

DI Vaio recovers
The home side had lost Marco Di Vaio in the 17th minute after he fell unconscious following a clash of heads with Newcastle defender Andy O'Brien. The striker was taken to hospital but Lippi said after the game that Di Vaio had regained consciousness.

Difficult opponents
"I am obviously very relieved and pleased that he is OK," Lippi said. "It did not look good and we were worried but thankfully he will be fine. However, it meant that I had to play [David] Trezeguet for longer than I had intended to. We needed to play well because Newcastle were very difficult to play against."

Visitors go close
Newcastle played Alan Shearer as a lone striker with Kieron Dyer just behind him and their hard-working midfield managed to subdue the home team early on. They even went close to taking the lead at the end of the first half but Juventus goalkeeper Gianluigi Buffon saved Laurent Robert's fierce effort.

Decisive moment
Indeed, Newcastle manager Sir Bobby Robson felt that his team could have got at least a point if the Frenchman had scored then. He said: "Buffon made the save of the game prior to half-time with Robert's volley and that would have been a tremendous boost for us."

'It wasn't to be'
However, Robson, whose side are still without a point and are five behind second-placed Feyenoord, admitted: "But it wasn't to be. Obviously I can't fault the players for their efforts. We have to be positive about it, we had chances and we could have got at least a point here. At least we showed them tonight that we will give them a really hard game when they come to us."

10 goals in 9 matches. What a player! That is the real Del Piero we want to see!

Buy on AliExpress.com

Anastacia

Jul 12, 2002
ever since he scored against mexico in the world cup, i knew del piero would regain his confidence and score more goals for juve. and those 10 goals he scored goes to all of his doubters and haters out there :fero: !!

Almajhool

Sep 8, 2002
Confidence .. a key word in DP's case ..

since the WC in 98 .. DP was gettin booze everywhere ....

being desperate in the national side with Totti gainning coach's faith and not doing that well in the Juve's side surely affected him ..

but after the WC in 02 .. i saw him gainning confidence and pulling back the memory of DP 97-98 ..

hope he get number 10 again with the Azzurri ..

Jul 12, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Paranoia ] ++
10 goals in 9 matches,more than enough glue to stuff up those critics' mouths.
Interesting idea, I'm not sure that it would work, but you could try.

olkiller

Sep 9, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Almajhool ] ++
Confidence .. a key word in DP's case ..

since the WC in 98 .. DP was gettin booze everywhere ....

being desperate in the national side with Totti gainning coach's faith and not doing that well in the Juve's side surely affected him ..

but after the WC in 02 .. i saw him gainning confidence and pulling back the memory of DP 97-98 ..

hope he get number 10 again with the Azzurri ..
:confused:
He had some problems in 99 (however I remind you his 14 assists and 10 posts) 2000:better with some exceptional goals like the ones scored against bari and lazio..
2001/2002: an excellent season as his 16 goals and countless assists granted juve the 26th scudetto
2003: WAITING FOR A GOLDEN BALL!!!:fero::devil::D

Evelyn8

Jul 23, 2002
yeah but the new papers still don't recognise him

on hottest players in Europe of the week

The TOp10

Consisted of INzaghi at first
and then players like Cambiasso, Ljungberg (what has he done?!?!)

LeRoi

Sep 3, 2002
a lot of people say he is like before the injury...I don't agree with them. I think now he is quite better than before the injury. I have never seen him playing so well!

James

Sep 27, 2002
I'm so happy for Alex that he's in the form he's in as he is a truly
wonderful footballer. I remember the first time I saw him, in
action against Parma when he scored a brilliant hat trick. I knew
then he was something special, and would be a worthy successor
to Roberto Baggio.
Also, in the early years of the champions league he was simply
amazing as incredible free kicks, solo efforts and outrageous skills{ the turn he performed on hapless Rangers defender Alex Cleland in the Deli Alpi being a moment of astounding class} made him the star of the entire competition at that time.

Sorry I'm rambling but it's just a pleasure to see him back to his best.

Majed

Jul 17, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Paolo_Montero ] ++

DP was an alcoholic?:eek:
Of course not Tom, he was a Pot Head! not an Alchoholic ;)

DP WAS OFFICIALLY BACK AFTER THE BARI GOAL HE SCORER DAYS AFTER HIS FATHER PASSED AWAY.
The season before that was just physical Rehab.
Mental rehav was the 00-01 season
01-2 he just got better and better (maybe the hand injury helped too, he seemed to play well with that bandege on his hand)

;)

Forza Alex

.. i do agree that he is better now the the 97/98 season or before. the difference is that now he has confidence and he is stronger, more consistant.

the old saying applies well with DP "What doesn't kill you makes you stronger"
:D

OP
nowhereman

nowhereman

Jul 15, 2002
  • Thread Starter #12
    Last week, he scored a goal at the final minute after fooling the goalkeeper. At a so tense time, the way he was so confident can tell us how great he is. I don't think any other strikers can keep the head at that time to round the GK and score.

Platinì

Sep 23, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by James ] ++
    I'm so happy for Alex that he's in the form he's in as he is a truly
    wonderful footballer. I remember the first time I saw him, in
    action against Parma when he scored a brilliant hat trick.

Did he introduced himself with 3 or 4 goals ? I can't remember exactly now :heart:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)