Luis Suarez - Forward - Liverpool (54 Viewers)

If possible, would you sign Luis Suárez?

• Yes, he's a great player

• Yes, but only if the price is right

• Begrudgingly, his talent outweighs the negatives

• No, his character doesn't reflect well on Juventus

• No, he is almost subhuman

• Kill it, kill it with fire!

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
I don't understand this part. That outfield players cannot use their hands isn't a rule that needs to be changed, thus I can't blame the game at all. I blame Suarez!
You can blame the game that the punishment does not fit the crime. Suarez weighed his options, and in the balance it was much better for him to goalkeep than not to.

so what if he "cheated"? thank God he did, otherwise Ghana would've gone to the semis.
:lol:

Buy on AliExpress.com

adriano_c

May 26, 2009
You can blame the game that the punishment does not fit the crime. Suarez weighed his options, and in the balance it was much better for him to goalkeep than not to.
The measure of his punishment isn't an issue with me. It's that he did something so brazen at all.

Itztli

'Curious'
May 12, 2011
The measure of his punishment isn't an issue with me. It's that he did something so brazen at all.
You have to understand the context in which he did it in. That header from one of ghana's forwards( forgot his name) was 100% going into the net. In the biggest stage of sports, and with a chance of going into the semis. While yes, what he did is unsportsmanlike, I don't blame him for sacrficing himself so his team could have a shot a going to a WC final.

Joe

Dec 20, 2009
I'd just like to weigh in my 2 cents here.

All players do what's best for the team. If need be, they'll break the rules knowing the consequences that lay ahead.

Juventus vs. Milan - Buffon knowingly ripped the ball out of the net, and ran out like nothing happened. He played it smart for the team.

Stuff like this always happens in the game, and unlike in the Buffon case, Suarez served his punishment of a red card and that should be suffice. We know Buffon is a classy guy, if we judge Suarez on these standards - we should judge all of our players on them as well.

I'd definitely welcome Suarez to the team. He has great talent but there are players that I'd prefer ahead of him but only because certain players will benefit the team more. (i.e. Cavani)

adriano_c

May 26, 2009
You have to understand the context in which he did it in. That header from one of ghana's forwards( forgot his name) was 100% going into the net. In the biggest stage of sports, and with a chance of going into the semis. While yes, what he did is unsportsmanlike, I don't blame him for sacrficing himself so his team could have a shot a going to a WC final.
I'm well-aware of the context, hence I can understand (while disagreeing with) why some people try to find ways to justify it. These same people would love to have a player willing to do that sort of stuff on their own team. I for one would not. I'm all for a player giving everything of himself on the pitch (see Quagliarella@last WC) but only in the right way. Ideally, I'd like to be proud of the team I support.

Itztli

'Curious'
May 12, 2011
I'm well-aware of the context, hence I can understand (while disagreeing with) why some people try to find ways to justify it. These same people would love to have a player willing to do that sort of stuff on their own team. I for one would not. I'm all for a player giving everything of himself on the pitch (see Quagliarella@last WC) but only in the right way. Ideally, I'd like to be proud of the team I support.
Not trying to justify the handball, but each person has different idea of what is right and wrong. I see why some would agree with what Luis did.

Bianconero81

Ageing Veteran
Jan 26, 2009
People not wanting Suarez? :howler: This is up there with those guys that said we shouldn't sign Tevez. His quality is evident for all to see, and generally comes through in the end. It's not like we are talking about Balotelli levels of insanity, or Cassano in his Roma days idiocy here.

This guy is a massive upgrade on anything we've got. Let's not sign Suarez, because we have Borriello, Matri, Quag, and Vucinic leading our formidable and awe inspiring front line.

Inter can't afford him, and hopefully he never goes there. Suarez would rape defenses in Serie A.

ALC

Ohaulick
Oct 28, 2010
People not wanting Suarez? :howler: This is up there with those guys that said we shouldn't sign Tevez. His quality is evident for all to see, and generally comes through in the end. It's not like we are talking about Balotelli levels of insanity, or Cassano in his Roma days idiocy here.

This guy is a massive upgrade on anything we've got. Let's not sign Suarez, because we have Borriello, Matri, Quag, and Vucinic leading our formidable and awe inspiring front line.

Inter can't afford him, and hopefully he never goes there. Suarez would rape defenses in Serie A.
People put down Messi for not being able to go past Nesta but they seem to forget how Suarez turned all of Milan's defense upside down in last year's CL.

Bianconero81

Ageing Veteran
Jan 26, 2009
As Daria pointed out, he's not a racist. In Thailand people use the word "dum" which translates into "dark" or "black skin" as a figure of speech/adjective to serve as a descriptive word; it's not meant to offend/insult anyone. I'm pretty sure it's the same with "negrito" in South America.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
I'd like to think the footballing community's collective "conscience" would shame players into not doing that sort of stuff.
Good luck with that.

Who wouldn't? The idea is that you hope it never comes to that... depending on a dodgy call, phantom goal, or red-carded goalkeeping attempt. But it does sometimes.

Because the fact is if Suarez had the option to goaltend and instead opted not to, allowing Ghana to go through, he would get zero credit for it. Nobody would be patting him on the back, saying, "Oh, he can't be a racist. Did you see that great gesture in the World Cup where he had the opportunity to knock down a sure goal by Ghana but did the honorable thing and let it go through?"

I don't think so...

Juventinho

Hamilton saved my ass...
Nov 4, 2004
It's not as much about what he did as much as the fact that he is an asshole on all levels, if we were playing against Milan and for example Maldini does something similar to the Buffon's phantom goal incident or Suarez's incident in the WC people will not take it as hard as when it's done by a cunt like Ibra or any other douche player however Suarez is a racist cunt, asshole, jerk to say the least and it pains me to see such player wearing our shirt, i don't want to see douche bags in my team it's really that simple even if you can't find there is logic behind it, beside there is a business side that you can't ignore, we need clear our image in front of the whole world and we won't be doing that by having the likes of Suarez running around.

Rollie

Apr 15, 2008
Nobody. This is silly. That handball was a split second decision by Suarez, he's reacting instinctively. 95% of competitors would do the exact same thing, given the importance of the game - that ball crosses the line, you're out. It was against the rules, and he was punished appropriately under the rules of the game. Ghana got their PK, end of story.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 50)