Losing (1 Viewer)

Zambrotta

Nov 16, 2001
After Sweden lost on penalties to Holland last month I was of course very sad. It felt really unfair to lose on penalties especially after those two big chances we had in extra time. At that time I thought it was the worst possible way of losing.

The day after Denmark was humiliated with a 0-3 match against the Czechs. Some might think it is better to lose in that way because then you really know that it is over and that you were not even close. To me it was the complete other way around, it actually made Sweden's loss easier to carry.

Denmark was humiliated and left the tournament with a memory of how bad they played. Sweden left Portugal with their heads high knowing that they were really, really close and that they played well.

But actually the best way of losing is like England. They had someone to blame, a scapegoat. They could leave the tournament knowing they played very well and saying that it was not their fault they lost.

Buy on AliExpress.com

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
++ [ originally posted by A_LAcki ] ++
What would you say if you don't loose a game, but go out of Euro?
I'd say, "You should have beaten Denmark, you shower of incompetant, overpaid, underperforming excuses for footballers." But then, that's just me. :)

Losing is hard, but try following a team as they get religated, on the last day of the season, after a magnificant comeback from 15 points adrift midseason, when a goal by an ex-player gives a win to your rivals in another game altogether. :(

A_LAcki

Dec 23, 2002
++ [ originally posted by mikhail ] ++
Losing is hard, but try following a team as they get religated, on the last day of the season, after a magnificant comeback from 15 points adrift midseason, when a goal by an ex-player gives a win to your rivals in another game altogether. :(
maybe ist just me, but who had to life with that misery!

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Doesn't matter. This is all moot/pointless anyway. Greece would have strangled any and all teams before they would have made the final anyway.

Debating over the different degrees of losing seems like a futile endeavor. The end result is the same.

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
It's not if you feel differently. How did France feel going out of the World Cup like they did? Rather worse than they did this time, I suspect.

gray

Apr 22, 2003
Supporting Australia has been nothing but a disappointment year after year, for example when we were leading Iran 2-0 at home, and they mounted a comeback in the dying minutes when they should have been dead and buried :( They brought the score back to 2-2 and went through on away goals

Up until 2002, supporting the Korean national side has been an exercise in despair and futility. Waking up at 4:30am on my birthday to see my boys whipped by Holland 5-0 pretty much sums up my time as a pre-2002 supporter.

As for Juve, I can't really complain about losing CL finals and being robbed of scudetti in swimming pools by that alien :( I guess it's just something that happens

A_LAcki

Dec 23, 2002
++ [ originally posted by gray ] ++
Supporting Australia has been nothing but a disappointment year after year, for example when we were leading Iran 2-0 at home, and they mounted a comeback in the dying minutes when they should have been dead and buried :( They brought the score back to 2-2 and went through on away goals

Up until 2002, supporting the Korean national side has been an exercise in despair and futility. Waking up at 4:30am on my birthday to see my boys whipped by Holland 5-0 pretty much sums up my time as a pre-2002 supporter.

As for Juve, I can't really complain about losing CL finals and being robbed of scudetti in swimming pools by that alien :( I guess it's just something that happens
But all those disappointments make winning even more beautiful. :D

Desmond

Jul 12, 2002
for those who didn't know,italy going out on 5 points is actually a euro record.

no team has ever gone out of the group stages after getting 5 points.

Dharurat

Oct 16, 2002
yup, a record.. also a record for the first time, a team getting kicked out without even losing a single match... all these records are NOT making me feel ANY better..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)