Lippi's squad (2 Viewers)

juventus2

Jul 6, 2004
Lippi calls three new faces Saturday 14 August, 2004

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There are three new faces in Marcello Lippi’s first Italy squad – Manuele Blasi, Luca Toni and Francesco Flachi – but Alex Del Piero is dropped.

There were already clues that Palermo hitman Toni (pictured) would be given his first call-up for Wednesday’s friendly against Iceland, as Christian Vieri is out injured.

Flachi also pushes his way into the squad following an impressive campaign with Sampdoria, while Blasi is reaping the rewards for his summer switch to Juventus.

Many of the top Azzurri stars are out of action, including Antonio Cassano, Francesco Totti, Vieri, Mauro Camoranesi, Massimo Ambrosini, Cristiano Zanetti, Bernardo Corradi, Pippo Inzaghi and Fabio Cannavaro.

However, Lippi assured this week that Del Piero is most definitely part of his plans for this new era of the Italian national squad.

“Alex is an important player,” noted the former Juve boss. “A very important player, for his history with the Azzurri, the team in which he plays, the results he has earned and how he deals with public opinion. I am certain he will find his form again.”

This is the squad that will travel to Iceland for Wednesday’s game:

Gk: Abbiati (Milan), Buffon (Juventus)

D: Birindelli (Juventus), Diana (Sampdoria), Favalli (Inter), Legrottaglie (Juventus), Materazzi (Inter), Nesta (Milan), Oddo (Lazio), Zambrotta (Juventus)

M: Barone (Palermo), Blasi (Juventus), Fiore (Valencia), Gattuso (Milan), Perrotta (Roma), Volpi (Sampdoria)

F: Bazzani (Sampdoria), Di Vaio (Valencia), Flachi (Sampdoria), Miccoli (Juventus), Toni (Palermo)

6 players from juve+ Del Piero+Camoranesi not bad :cool:

And Lippi basicly said that Del Piero will be the leader oq the squad not Totti :D

PS. Lippi is certain that Del Piero will regain his form nd he should know he was our coach last year.That's great news :cheesy:

Buy on AliExpress.com

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Good for Lippi to acknowledge DP's bad form and take corrective action on it. Wish he did that at Juve. :irritate:

Tom

The DJ
Oct 30, 2001
++ [ originally posted by Pendir_E65 ] ++
Yeah, I hope DP can prove that he is better than Totti...
In fairness Totti is absolutely miles better than delpiero, they are worlds apart

OP

juventus2

Jul 6, 2004
  • Thread Starter #7
    He might be in better form but Del Piero is 10x times the talent he is and most importantly a great man, he's not a crying primadona

Tom

The DJ
    Oct 30, 2001
    No offence but thats rubbish about delpiero being 10 times the talent. Del piero in 1996 or whatever was better than Totti will ever be in my opinion, but 10 times better is overstretching the mark more than just a bit!

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
    No doubt about it. Totti is inferior to the Del Piero of 1996-98, but none of us are quite sure where that Del Piero is atm. We haven't seen him for years actually, only glimpses.

swag

L'autista
    Administrator
    Sep 23, 2003
    I think we all really miss the Alex of old. I hope some part of him is at least still around -- and not just in Adidas commercials. :sigh:

baggio

Jun 3, 2003
    Well luck plays an important role in such issues and i think its time we come to terms with the fact that Dp's luck has finally run out. Sad but true.

Sep 14, 2003
    Thank God we are only playing Iceland in a friendly, becasue with that squad we'd be screwed!

Sidz-Inzaghi: Blasi is a thug and he's NOT international class.

Aug 26, 2003
    strange, now as national Coach Lippi says Del Piero has bad form and so don't called him up, but at Juventus he would have played him all the time, nevertheless what form he had!

I hope that for Legrottaglie this call up is a motivation and gives him some confidence (when he plays), hopefully Lippi won't regret the decision!

Codino

The Rival
    Jul 21, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by juventus2 ] ++
    Lippi calls three new faces Saturday 14 August, 2004

And Lippi basicly said that Del Piero will be the leader oq the squad not Totti :D
    lets hope not. i dont like the sound of an out of form player our 'leader'. im sure it wont be long before he starts getting a bit better, but At least get a player who is BIG in tournaments.

We have to do what is best for our country, and our team. And if that means getting rid of players who cant find form, or are just not good enough anymore, then im all for it. We have amazing youth. lets not waste it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)