Lippi: We don't need new buys (1 Viewer)

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
Juventus have conceded 21 goals in 18 games, but Marcello Lippi insists they won’t bring in new defenders.

“When a team scores a lot of goals then that is down to the overall attitude of the side,” maintained the Bianconeri boss. “The same applies to the defence.”

Tonight’s 3-3 draw at Empoli prevented the reigning Champions closing the gap on Roma and Milan and once again highlighted their frailties at the back.

“I can’t remember the last time we let in so many goals with such alarming regularity,” admitted Lippi. “In previous years we almost always had the strongest defence in Serie A and this is a worrying trend that needs to be worked on.”

The problems suffered against Empoli will fuel reports that Juve are making a January bid for Parma captain Matteo Ferrari.

“We already have nine defenders at our disposal. There will be no new signings this month because we quite simply do not need them.”

David Trezeguet’s hat-trick allowed the Turin side to recover a point from this match and boosted his confidence following some poor form.

“Trezeguet is ready to sign his contract extension and that allows him to play with a more relaxed state of mind,” concluded Lippi. “He is an important player for us and an excellent goal scorer.”

Empoli’s hero of the hour is Tommaso Rocchi, who bagged a hat-trick tonight and the winner at Inter last Sunday.

“It isn’t easy to get three goals past a side like Juventus,” commented the striker. “It’s a wonderful time for me as this week I also extended my contract with the club.”

Rocchi is not in fact a centre-forward by trade, but has adapted to this role following injuries and transfer problems.

“I have a lot left to prove,” he added, “but I am happy that we showed everyone Empoli are a team to be reckoned with. I only score so many because my teammates provide the best possible support.”

This result allows the Tuscans to clamber free of the drop zone, although they would still be headed for a play-off with the sixth-placed Serie B side.

This was after the draw with Empoli :wallbang:

Let's see who the 9 defenders are:

Birindelli: injured fro 2 months and "good" at best, average most of the time

Ferrara - 37 years old, slow, and injury prone, not to mention that he's out for two weeks

Fresi - very injury prone, has played a total of 9 games for Juventus, most of them in non important Coppa matches and as a sub, all of them last year.

Pessotto - 34 years old, never recovered from a serious injury in 2002, has become average at best.

Thuram - 32 years old, bad match fitness, is not as reliable as in the past, insignificant in offence.

Tudor - very good, tall, strong, excellent header in both defense and offense, but always injured, and currently not completely match fit.

Legrottaglie - the same as Tudor, but is more unreliable, tends to make misstakes under pressure, and is currently out of form.

Now, for the creme of our defence:

Montero - 33 years old, slow, short (for a defender - he's 179 cms), error prone, completely unreliable.

Iuliano - the ultimate shite in the world of defenders. No need to say more.

So, we have 3 proper, good defenders, one is completely out of form, the other unfit and old, and the third always injured.

Now, we dont need any new defenders you say? :rolleyes:

Buy on AliExpress.com

Roman

-'Tuz Fantasy Master-
Apr 19, 2003
++ [ originally posted by -Z- ] ++
Bah, I wish he'd drown in The Nile
Well that's too harsh...but
Ferrari
Lucio
Bonera

will be a good and usefull addition.;)

PLZ LIPPI AND MOGGI GET THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As for Lippi that's obvious,he won't tell the media "Yes we have problems,we need to buy a defender as quickly as possible".
Be serious.
I don't believe it....
WE MUST GET DEFENDERS!!!!

Hydde

Minimiliano Tristelli
Mar 6, 2003
Well Vinman.......... maybe its too late to fix the hole in the ship..and we will have to wait till the end of the season to reinforce our defense......
I very sure that the Juventus management are aware of this, I think that they realised that an error was done in the market when they didnt bought new defenders, and now is too late to find good replacements..
IMO they have decided to fight till the end with this defenders and do the signings in the end of the season. The damage is done.

They will do a gamble and try to win the much as possible.

i really dont know why thay not bought any player in the market.

Vinman

2013 Prediction Cup Champ
Jul 16, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Hydde ] ++
Well Vinman.......... maybe its too late to fix the hole in the ship..and we will have to wait till the end of the season to reinforce our defense......
I very sure that the Juventus management are aware of this, I think that they realised that an error was done in the market when they didnt bought new defenders, and now is too late to find good replacements..
IMO they have decided to fight till the end with this defenders and do the signings in the end of the season. The damage is done.

They will do a gamble and try to win the much as possible.

i really dont know why thay not bought any player in the market.
Its still not too late.....................

Juventino

Jul 27, 2002
come on ppl. take it easy with the name callings... I know that after todays
performance by our defence we demand more than ever that JUVE should get some fresh blood and star quality defenders in the team.

But it's just normal that they say things like this. this is the way
you manage your intrests. Imagine if Moggi and Lippi would go out
and give interviews from one newspaper to the other and say yes
JUVE has crisis in the defence line, yes we must buy, buy and fast...

it will just harm the team...

so let's just see what will happen by end of this month...

to be honest, even if we get a new defender I wouldn't be surprised
if it turned out to be a la Legro... seems like every player that joins juve
needs ½ season or so to adjust... :frown:

that's why I was so keen that we had bhought some great prospects for our defenceline and that we would buy Nedved's replacement by end of this season...

baggio

Jun 3, 2003
Just showing that hes standing by the old guard when they need him. But its nothing more than manipulation. We're surely buying atleast one new player before this window closes.

Catenaccio

Jul 15, 2002
This year Juve seems to be relying more and more on Zambrotta for attacking the left wing. That leaves us with 3 old defenders in the back 4. That is OK if Thuram is fit because he has pace. But you need pace in defence when you play a very attacking game. Ferrara and Montero play better when we play with a solid back four....i.e when we don't rely so much on our fullbacks for attack.

The ultimate would be to get Lucio but he is ours next season.

We need Legrottaglie to be back on form as well as Montero. Lippi wanted to start the season with this back line:

Thuram---Legro---Montero---Zambro

That is the ideal back 4 but we have rarely had them fully fit and in form at the same time.

I don't think we NEED to get a new defender if we keep scoring so many goals because I think our defence can only get better.

I also suspect that Lippi is gearing the style of this team to suit the Champions League. With the exception of last year when Milan won the tournament....it has been the attacking teams which have tended to do quite well.

To be honest....at this stage of the season....I would rather us scoring more goals and conceding plenty insteading of scoring few and conceding few. Our defence has always been solid with essentially the same group of players.....I think they will come good soon.

So DON'T PANIC GUYS.

Signor

Jul 13, 2002
I don't think we will buy anyone till the summer, but may be we can loan one good relaible defender, who doesn't have to be a star to strengthen and refresh our defence, I am not a fan of mid season signings. and i guess Moggi shares this with me....

Vinman

2013 Prediction Cup Champ
Jul 16, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Catenaccio ] ++
This year Juve seems to be relying more and more on Zambrotta for attacking the left wing. That leaves us with 3 old defenders in the back 4. That is OK if Thuram is fit because he has pace. But you need pace in defence when you play a very attacking game. Ferrara and Montero play better when we play with a solid back four....i.e when we don't rely so much on our fullbacks for attack.

The ultimate would be to get Lucio but he is ours next season.

We need Legrottaglie to be back on form as well as Montero. Lippi wanted to start the season with this back line:

Thuram---Legro---Montero---Zambro

That is the ideal back 4 but we have rarely had them fully fit and in form at the same time.

I don't think we NEED to get a new defender if we keep scoring so many goals because I think our defence can only get better.

I also suspect that Lippi is gearing the style of this team to suit the Champions League. With the exception of last year when Milan won the tournament....it has been the attacking teams which have tended to do quite well.

To be honest....at this stage of the season....I would rather us scoring more goals and conceding plenty insteading of scoring few and conceding few. Our defence has always been solid with essentially the same group of players.....I think they will come good soon.

So DON'T PANIC GUYS.
I'd love to agree with you, but Montero is old and Legro is overrated imo......

Jul 12, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Vinman ] ++
I'd love to agree with you, but Montero is old and Legro is overrated imo......
Over-rated is a bit of a euphamism, don;t you think? I'd say that he sucks.

Primo

Juventus FC - Philippines
Dec 20, 2002
Oh, that's harsh. I think they Legro just needs to settle-in for quite some time like Di Vaio. Iuliano on the other hand, according to another, just seems to have lost his "Mark".

Aug 1, 2003
:LOL:
uhm, on a more serious note. I seriously doubt Lippi would buy anyone, and we can't do much about that. All we have to do is pray for better defending.

Plus, is it just me, or is there just not as much charisma and teamwork as last year's?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)