Lippi, to go , to stay? (2 Viewers)

Monkfish

Jun 14, 2003
I agree that we should keep Lippi, but I do think he needs to stop 'protecting' his favourites.

Montero, Tacchinardi, and yes, even DP should either be given a massive kick up the backside or replaced - definitely replaced in Montero's case.

The backbone of the side isn't good enough. Roma have Samuel, Emerson and Totti, our's is poor in comparison.

Aug 27, 2003
Moggi hangs on to Lippi

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Juventus director general Luciano Moggi has shot down reports that Marcello Lippi, David Trezeguet and Pavel Nedved will leave next season.

“We are not looking for alibis,” said the transfer guru after their shock Champions’ League exit, “but we were unlucky to have seven players ruled out with injury.”

“We have the utmost faith in Lippi and he did what he could with a decimated squad. He will be with this club next season as well.”

The double defeat to Deportivo La Coruna sparked talk of a revolution at the Turin giants to change an ageing defence and ineffective midfield.

“The fans can relax,” continued Moggi in this evening’s press conference. “I will do my best to reinforce the side without going crazy.”

This was the first time in seven years that Juve failed to turn a profit, so with such an early exit from Europe sales must be made to prevent further losses.

Trezeguet is the main candidate to be sacrificed with Barcelona showing interest, but Moggi shut out all speculation. “Trezeguet is staying here.”

Nedved and Lilian Thuram are also heavily linked with big moves to Spain or England, although the director general also ruled out sweeping changes in even the weakest areas of the side.

“The same team, with the seven missing players included, was considered invincible only a few months ago,” he insisted.

Several club decisions are now under fire, such as the failure to pick up a midfielder or defender during the transfer window.

“There were no January signings because nobody expected so many injuries to pile up at the same time.”

Above all, last night’s defeat highlighted how much Edgar Davids – now on loan at Barcelona – has been missed.

“The Davids situation was different,” noted Moggi. “He wanted to leave and hadn’t played very much towards the end. Besides, we have faith in the suggestions of our Coach.”

Aug 27, 2003
well rumors are spreading around becuase reporters have nothing elese better to do and they pick up on things really fast like for instance now all these rumors of him leaving is becuase were out and now everyone is going that lippi is off to the azurri i higly doubt it would be any soon lets just keep our finger crosswed for the time being

Jul 12, 2002
You know, I'm starting to think that it may not be a bad idea to let Lippi go. He doesn't have the right mentallity to work with our team. He's very good at taking a team that's ready to be great and making them great. However, he is not good with young players, and he obviously can't handle injuries to the squad.

gray

Apr 22, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Ian ] ++
You know, I'm starting to think that it may not be a bad idea to let Lippi go. He doesn't have the right mentallity to work with our team. He's very good at taking a team that's ready to be great and making them great. However, he is not good with young players, and he obviously can't handle injuries to the squad.
The only thing I worry about when replacing Lippi is that we might not get a coach suited for our team, and our revolution might be as glorious and succesful as Gullit's Newcastle revolution

Jul 12, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Graham ] ++
The only thing I worry about when replacing Lippi is that we might not get a coach suited for our team, and our revolution might be as glorious and succesful as Gullit's Newcastle revolution
But, is a failed revolution any worse than simply sliding into mediocrity like Barcelona for the past two seasons?

gray

Apr 22, 2003
Shit, that's a good point. At least we can say we tried.

In fact I'd probably rather we got a bunch of promising players who turn out to be crapola, rather than seeing the same stale old players making the same mistakes and getting the same crap results

KeNgO

Oct 28, 2002
come on guys! lippi is a great coach! and we are not in a crises! we just need a couple of defenders and a midfielder and we are back in business!!!

our team is a good team and right now we just have soo many injuries and u can't blame the coach for that! it is just bad luck! let lippi stay! we are not that bad! we are six points of the top of the table and we are in the final of coppa italia! true we have been eliminated from the CL but shit happens!

keep the faith!

gray

Apr 22, 2003
++ [ originally posted by KeNgO ] ++
come on guys! lippi is a great coach! and we are not in a crises! we just need a couple of defenders and a midfielder and we are back in business!!!
But the point here is that we have so many promising youngsters who could potentially do great things for us, but Lippi's mentality is that we don't need to use them when we have such experienced veterans as Montero and Iuliano. We really need to start investing in our youth, and Lippi's not doing that the same way as, say Arsene Wenger, whose youth strategy I admire.

It's no use saying "just buy 2 defenders and a playmaker and we'll be back in business", because we're totally neglecting quality players that we already have, and at best we'll end up loaning or selling them to mid-table clubs.

our team is a good team and right now we just have soo many injuries and u can't blame the coach for that! it is just bad luck! let lippi stay! we are not that bad! we are six points of the top of the table and we are in the final of coppa italia! true we have been eliminated from the CL but shit happens!

keep the faith!
We were playing shite before the injuries, and a club of our caliber shouldn't just shrug off getting knocked out of the CL like that. You say "keep the faith" in the same sentence as "shit happens"... I must say I disagree with that.

KeNgO

Oct 28, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Graham ] ++

But the point here is that we have so many promising youngsters who could potentially do great things for us, but Lippi's mentality is that we don't need to use them when we have such experienced veterans as Montero and Iuliano. We really need to start investing in our youth, and Lippi's not doing that the same way as, say Arsene Wenger, whose youth strategy I admire.

It's no use saying "just buy 2 defenders and a playmaker and we'll be back in business", because we're totally neglecting quality players that we already have, and at best we'll end up loaning or selling them to mid-table clubs.
well i must say that u do have a good point!

but we do see lippi using the young promising players like chiumiento for example who played in our last league game and also played in the CL game! perhaps u r right as he doesn't do that so very often! but i don't think that is a reason to change the coach! not many coaches in the serie A top flight clubs give chances to youngsters on the field!

Jul 12, 2002
well i must say that u do have a good point!

but we do see lippi using the young promising players like chiumiento for example who played in our last league game and also played in the CL game! perhaps u r right as he doesn't do that so very often! but i don't think that is a reason to change the coach! not many coaches in the serie A top flight clubs give chances to youngsters on the field!
Lippi is going to stay, Moggi has decreed it. We must now hope that Lippi learns to use younger players.

sco_tino

Jan 30, 2004
What's all this about Lippi leaving, let's forget that option! Agreed he makes mistakes, but that's bound to happen to everyone at one point in time or the other.

What we need to do is to revitalise our team, inject fresh blood into the squad, that's what we need to stay on top. It's all too obvious that team can't play 4ever. We've got some nice talent in the youth team, let's start blooding them.

The cry should be get good young players!

Aug 1, 2003
True that but I'm just saying he can't stay here forever. Ian, I said that out of my irritation of his reaction against MU when Porto went through to the QF.. Later did I know what Ferguson said bout Porto before the match

Monkfish

Jun 14, 2003
Yes I agree that we need to invest for the future in young talent, but Juventus has to always have a team that challenges in all competitions - all of the time.

Everyone is saying Lippi should be playing all these supposedly fantastic youngsters that we have - yet if he did - chances are we wouldn't be as close to Roma and Milan as we are at the moment. Then Lippi would be criticised even more.

Juve always buys these potentially brilliant youngsters - but end up never playing them and they move on. Unless they are as good as Kaka then Lippi cannot afford to play them. That is why Juve is forever loaning out all these youngsters.

I think it's unfair that Lippi is accused of not playing youngsters - if the ones we had were good enough I'm sure he would.

Jul 12, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Monkfish ] ++
Yes I agree that we need to invest for the future in young talent, but Juventus has to always have a team that challenges in all competitions - all of the time.

Everyone is saying Lippi should be playing all these supposedly fantastic youngsters that we have - yet if he did - chances are we wouldn't be as close to Roma and Milan as we are at the moment. Then Lippi would be criticised even more.

Juve always buys these potentially brilliant youngsters - but end up never playing them and they move on. Unless they are as good as Kaka then Lippi cannot afford to play them. That is why Juve is forever loaning out all these youngsters.

I think it's unfair that Lippi is accused of not playing youngsters - if the ones we had were good enough I'm sure he would.
We're not going to win Serie A or the CL this year, so it would not have hurt to play our youngsters. Furthermore, how can you tell if they are "as good as Kaka" if you don't play them?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)