Lippi thinking to play with 3 strikers (1 Viewer)

Spartacus

Jul 13, 2002
Lippi in an interview said that he is thinking to play with 3 strikers upfront plus Nedved.

I kinda knew it that Lippi was going to play with 3 strikers. In the old forum I even anticipated it. It was to big of a crime to leave Salas on the bench. Plus the fact that they tried last season to get Vieri and have 3 strikers gave me the though that Lippi was going to re present his winning formula that gave him the first scudetto with Juve back in 94/95.

The only question that raises through my mind is what kind of formation will he use. The most logical would be a 4-3-3 but I think that he will go through 3-4-3 since Nedved will also be a starter. I wouldn't also discard an innovative 4-2-2-2.

I gotta tell ya fellas I don't know you but I'm pretty darn excited that we will play so offensive minded. I just hope that we will find the right equilibriums. No wonder we are trying to get the best defenders in the Italian league.

I also think that Del Piero could benefit a lot to play 3 man upfront since it will take lots of pressure off his shoulders marking wise.

Also there is word that Juve and Lazio are pretty advanced in the swap deal that would bring Liverani and Favalli to Juve for Birindelli and Tacchinardi.

I love Liverani.We should've get him long time ago. Think looks good.

Also if that is Lippi's final idea to play with 3 man upfront. I'm pretty sure that we will buy another striker. I would bet that that new striker will be Mutu.

I dunno imo it's a great idea to play with 3 man upfront. What do you guys think?

Buy on AliExpress.com

Majed

Jul 17, 2002
---------DP-------Trez-------Salas---------
-----------------------------------------------
Nedved-------------------------Zambrotta
------------Davids----Baiocco-------------
-----------------------------------------------
-------Iuliano---Montero---Thuram------
------------------Buffon---------------------

Hmmm...This loooks interesting!! This is not the usual definsive Juve. But i think it wont hurt to try this out in the TIM Trofeo. This is just my suggestion. Of course there are 100000 other ways to make a foramtion since juve has many different- and high quality- players like: Tudor, Pessotto, Brighi and Conte too. Of course Lippi will have to due without Zambrotta for the first few weeks due to injury. At least the new Argentinian can take his place.

About this attacking style: i know juve will have trouble adjusting. Juve have tried this formation a few times last season with considerable success in the attacking aspect, but the defensive side was terrible - for juve standards. also, Juve have been playing with the 4-3-1-2 for 4 years now. and lippi had to return to this formation to get back into last season's scutdetto race after falling behind early on.

So, All in all, dont get your hope up, but It's always worth a try to experiment with something new.
Forza Campione D'Italia ....Forza Lippi

Desmond

Jul 12, 2002
we have an immense amount of offensive talent at our disposal,and it's about time we made full use of it.but we need to consider the subs too.

s0ftcore

Jul 13, 2002
We should all play positively. Play like Brazil. Than we can win the bleedin CL!!!

4-1-2-3 can be considered too!

Salas Trez
Del Piero

Nedved Zambrotta
Davids

Pessoto Thuram
Montero Iuliano

Dj Juve

Jul 12, 2002
majed, good tactic:thumb:, but replace baiocco with tudor ;)

but i think lippi will scrap 3 man up front when pessotto comes back

Espectro

The Grimreaper
Jul 12, 2002
I only have one complain about the tree fordwards line, and its that rigth now we don't have backups!! I mean Juve hasn't a real link with any fordward in this transfer season (I know is far from over), and in this moment the only backup that we have is Zalayeta.
I think that if Juve wants to play with tree fordwards is great, but they will have to get at least one more fordward

dpforever

Prediction Game Champ 2003 & 2005
Jan 12, 2002
Welcome Majed, I like your formation too ;)

About the strikers we will have back-up, Juve are linked to Di Vaio, Mutu, Bonazolli, and Chiesa. Nothing concrete indeed, but expect something soon :)

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
I would like to see Lippi use the 3-4-3 formation. Something like this :

Buffon - Iuliano,Thuram,Montero - Camoranesi,Tudor,Davids,Nedved - Salas,Trezeguet,Del Piero

denco

Superior Being
Jul 12, 2002
Spartacus nice thread, do you remember me and you arguing about Italy's merits of playing 3 forwards and you were saying 4-4-2 while very one else was saying 4-3-3? The reason playing 3 strikers did not work for Italy in the world cup is because of Vieri, his movement of the ball is not the best, and if you can remeber, italy qualified into the wc using 3 strikers but Vieri was injured in most of the qualifiers and the one he played in against Lithuania away, Italy played crap.

Why I am pointing this out is because Vieri's movement is actually better than Trez, and every formation on here has put Trez in their attack.

Roma played very well with it because of the movements of Delvecchio, Montella and Batistuta with Totti pulling the strings.

Inzaghi love him or hate him will help greatly in a 3 man attack but Trez for all his scoring qualities, doesn't do anything off the ball and he is not very accomplished with it apart from scoring

The last time it worked for Juve, the running off the ball and the hard work put in by Ravanelli and Vialli made it work very well.
With either or Baggio providing the fantasy. Also hard workers and playmakers like Sousa and Deschamps helped a lot too

Now i can't put out any formations because i dont think we are well equipped to do so presently but you are all welcome to put holes into what i have said

Dj Juve

Jul 12, 2002
good points denco, but i wouldnt say that trez is terrible at his movement. not the best, but IMO good enough. Salas is hardworking....ale, slightly lower, but also good enough to score goals

OP
Spartacus

Spartacus

Jul 13, 2002
  • Thread Starter #13
    Yes Denco I definitely see yor point. Despite the flaw that you just pointed out I think it could still work. As long the other two fowards in this case Del Piero and Salas do the movement. Plus remeber that Nedved will play too so Trezeguet is not needed to do all that movement or called to do defensive duties.
    Trez could be the pivot of the attack and can play like he does right now. Just giving one-twos to the other attackers and then make the runs.

This is the formation that Lippi could apply this season.

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
    Sparty,your formation is good but put Tudor in Dacourt's position,Davids in Baiocco's and Thuram in Tudor's. Something like this :

Buffon - Iuliano,Thuram,Montero - Camoranesi,Tudor,Davids,Nedved - Salas,Trezeguet,Del Piero

I have a question to ask though. With 3 men upfront would we still play Nedved as an attacking mid or a left winger?

OP
    Spartacus

Spartacus

Jul 13, 2002
  • Thread Starter #16
    ++ [ originally posted by DP's_Apprentice ] ++
    Sparty,your formation is good but put Tudor in Dacourt's position,Davids in Baiocco's and Thuram in Tudor's. Something like this :

I have a question to ask though. With 3 men upfront would we still play Nedved as an attacking mid or a left winger?
    I didn't put Davids or Thuram because I still think that they will be sold. I honestly think so. Especially Davids. I know that Moggi said that they are going to stay, but I really doubt it.

Nedved wont play as a winger. He didn't do so last year, and wont do it this season either. He will play like last season, behind the fowards.

denco

Superior Being
    Jul 12, 2002
    Okay its a very interesting idea, spartacus, just one or 2 things, i have been watching football for a long time and i can tell you, that playing 3 strikers doesn't always mean you are playing a more attacking formation than a team that plays with 1 striker. Because if done right a team can have one main striker on the pitch and still be attacking from so many angles as Brazil and France show with Trez and Ronaldo being the main striker with players like Rivaldo and Ronaldinho, or zz, Henry helping when they can, diamond formation if you like.
    The juve u are proposing will have dp, trez, nedved and salas on the same field with maybe just 2 players in the midfield to help stop the opposition.
    Now even the most attack minded of teams like Real madrid and Man united do not start a game with 3 strikers and the only team

Besides who will provide the width, what happens when we meet a good team because believe me they will find holes in this team we are proposing

But apart from the movement of the strikers, we also need strikers with great strength because it will take a lot outta them physically and what we have now are not powerful strikers except zalayeta and i am sure he is not considered as a starter.

We will also need 2 world class dm and at the moment we have just one and he maybe leaving so that might be another problem

But if we can somehow rectify these problems then why not but playing with 3 strikers doesn't necessarily mean we are playing attacking football but it could mean telling players to play in positions they are not comfortable with, like Dp might be asked to play deeper, a position he hates, Trez will be told to contribute more in movements and holding up the ball, something not natural to him and Salas may be asked to drift to the wings as they will be getting in each other's way.

Jul 12, 2002
    I like the idea of a three-man front line, but we don't have the players to make it work. Dp is perfect for the left forward role, as he is a forward that is always out on the left, and Trezeguet is a great center forward, but I don't really see Salas, Zalayeta, Zamby, or anyone else filling that position, Salas is niether fast enough, nor good enough on the pass. Zalayeta will be a good second option to Trez, and Zamby is not good enough with the shot.

This leaves a player to be bought. Di Vaio, Mutu, Bonazolli, and Chiesa have been mentioned, but none of these fit either. Juve would need someone along the lines of Marc Overmars, or Harry Kewell (except on the right), or even Roy Mayaay, or Dennis Rommedahl. Obviously none of these players would be a good option for Juve right now, but there has to be some one like them that is available.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)