Lippi named Italy Coach (1 Viewer)

Juventino

Jul 27, 2002
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Lippi named Italy Coach
Friday 25 June, 2004
http://www.channel4.com/sport/football_italia/jun25h.html

Marcello Lippi has replaced Giovanni Trapattoni as the Coach of the Italian national side.

The Italian Football Federation confirmed his appointment this afternoon after the Azzurri’s shock elimination at Euro 2004.

Lippi, who has been linked with the job for some months now, has been handed a two-year contract which will expire after the 2006 World Cup Finals.

The former Juventus boss will be asked to start a new era for the side after Trap’s disappointing spell.

The veteran wasn’t offered a new deal after failure at the 2002 World Cup and in Portugal this summer.

Lippi has made his name in the Italian game during two spells at Juventus which spanned nine years.

During that time he won five Scudetti, a Champions’ League and an Intercontinental title amongst many others.

Lippi’s first game in charge should be a friendly against Iceland on August 18. His competitive debut will be in a World Cup qualifier versus Norway on September 4.

It has also been confirmed that FIGC President Franco Carraro offered his resignation today but it was rejected by the federation.

"I am to blame as I kept faith with Trapattoni after the World Cup and the Wales defeat," he stated. "That is why I offered to quit."

Buy on AliExpress.com
Aug 27, 2003
well i think lippi is one of the best choices..
i read an article about his plans which looks promising..ill try to find it..
im really happy that he is going to coach maybe finally italy will win somehting and maybe a foruth star in the italy shirt ;)

Elnur_E65

Feb 21, 2004
Lippi will stay with Italy until the end of EURO 2008, to be taken over by Fabio Capello. That is when Italy will win all competitions it participates in.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)