Lilian Thuram (5 Viewers)

Dominic

Jan 30, 2004
++ [ originally posted by Andy ] ++

And why would that be? Just because he had a very poor season last year with other horrible defenders around him? Under Capello he would return to form on the right side of defense; there is no reason why he couldn't play right-back again.
Lack of motivation maybe ?

Eaglesnake_1

Mar 28, 2004

Still, I think his skills are better suited for a right-back position. I can think of a few more instances where Thuram has been exposed in the air, and that could be our downfall once again for next season, especially with him starting to age. Some of his decision making is a bit dodgy playing in the center, something that comes from inexperiance. He was a better RB than CB IMO.
Your opinion his not shared by Capello.
If he is starting to age, then why to play him as a RB, place where do yo need more speed ??
Desicion making dodgy at the center??????
Something that comes from inexperience ?????

Please, get serious......

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
++ [ originally posted by Eaglesnake_1 ] ++

Your opinion his not shared by Capello.
If he is starting to age, then why to play him as a RB, place where do yo need more speed ??
Desicion making dodgy at the center??????
Something that comes from inexperience ?????

Please, get serious......
Well, I think I am being serious here. Afterall I'm not talking about the EPL..

If you didn't see the mistakes Thuram made this season then you must either be blind or not watch Juventus that much. His timing was off sometimes when he needed to push up for the offsides trap, making us concede a couple goals we shouldn't have during the season. Then against Fiorentina I think it was he decided to leave Chiellini to run out towards the right post, something a right back normally does, and that cost us a goal off the head of Chiellini. I really have no clue what he was thinking on that occasion. Then of course we have his inept ariel ability that has cost us many times this season. Thuram was/is a better RB, end of story as far as I'm concerned.

We don't need a fast rightback with our current system because Camoranesi covers the right flank to himself, so we need a stay at home defender on the right. And no matter how you look at it, Thuram is by far a better player than Zebina, at any position.

Eaglesnake_1

Mar 28, 2004

Well, I think I am being serious here. Afterall I'm not talking about the EPL..

If you didn't see the mistakes Thuram made this season then you must either be blind or not watch Juventus that much. His timing was off sometimes when he needed to push up for the offsides trap, making us concede a couple goals we shouldn't have during the season. Then against Fiorentina I think it was he decided to leave Chiellini to run out towards the right post, something a right back normally does, and that cost us a goal off the head of Chiellini. I really have no clue what he was thinking on that occasion. Then of course we have his inept ariel ability that has cost us many times this season. Thuram was/is a better RB, end of story as far as I'm concerned.

We don't need a fast rightback with our current system because Camoranesi covers the right flank to himself, so we need a stay at home defender on the right. And no matter how you look at it, Thuram is by far a better player than Zebina, at any position.
I saw all Juve games this season, except two. IMO, you are totally hypercritical with Thuram, remarking the very few occasions when he made a mistake, and not counting the enourmous amount of games when he was flawless and a stronghold that keeps our defense safe.....

I concede you are totally right in the last sentence of your post. but

How can you said Thuram is inept to reject aereal services ? how can you said that Thuram looks inexperienced as CB ? For god sake, there are very few players in serie A( or in any league) with more experience as CB than Lillian...
To critizise one of the CB with less goals allowed in serie A is sounds futile. Its OK if you prefer him as a RB but to to try to probe your point bashing him as CB its simply not fair.....

Adrian

Jan 31, 2003
there is no doubt that crosses were cannavaro and thurams nightmare this season. this is why zebina is probably important to capello because of his height and strength. but in saying that, cheillini is very good at set pieces and can help.

IMO moggi should start looking for defenders to replace thuram next season. Barzagli is one, but i think another star should come in also. Chivu would be nice.

Hydde

Minimiliano Tristelli
Mar 6, 2003

himself, so we need a stay at home defender on the right. And no matter how you look at it, Thuram is by far a better player than Zebina, at any position.
true thuram amde mistakes and maybe andy didnt mentioned them... but i hace to agree taht even as right back,,thuram is better than zebina...

zebina is not good with the ball in his foot..

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
++ [ originally posted by Eaglesnake_1 ] ++

I saw all Juve games this season, except two. IMO, you are totally hypercritical with Thuram, remarking the very few occasions when he made a mistake, and not counting the enourmous amount of games when he was flawless and a stronghold that keeps our defense safe.....

I concede you are totally right in the last sentence of your post. but

How can you said Thuram is inept to reject aereal services ? how can you said that Thuram looks inexperienced as CB ? For god sake, there are very few players in serie A( or in any league) with more experience as CB than Lillian...
To critizise one of the CB with less goals allowed in serie A is sounds futile. Its OK if you prefer him as a RB but to to try to probe your point bashing him as CB its simply not fair.....
Well perhaps inexperianced isn't the right word for it, but he is not the best at anticipating possible offside traps. That's what I have noticed at least.

I don't mean to bash him because of course he's a fantastic defender when the ball is on the ground, but I was just trying to get my point across that he is better at RB than in the center. I prefer central defenders to be good in the air, however that is Thuram's weakness and we have conceded a few goals because of that. Sure he does make up for it with great tackles he always makes during the season, but like I said I would prefer someone like Samuel in the center and Thuram out on the right.

- vOnAm -

Jul 22, 2004
I think Thuram did a fine job this season in fact if it werent for the mistakes that you talk about I would give Thuram the same rating as Cannavaro.

There were far more games where Thuram had a dominating game (more dominating than Canna) rather than his games of mistakes.

I think Thuram has lost his pace and acceleration to play RB, and Zebina is not adept enough to play CB.

Mistakes will happen even to players like Nesta and Canna, but I believe Thuram last season performances was among the best in europe.

Adrian

Jan 31, 2003
i didnt say zebina was good in the air, i just said that is why zebina is probably liked by capello, because he has height. i cant believe zola outjumped him.

Zebina reminds me of that guy on Cliffhanger...the one who says, "it amazes me what a man would do for himself and his b*tch" and then stallone pushes him up against the ice and one pierces his chest...anyone know who im talking about???

Mr. Gol

Sep 15, 2004
++ [ originally posted by Adrian ] ++
i didnt say zebina was good in the air, i just said that is why zebina is probably liked by capello, because he has height. i cant believe zola outjumped him.

Zebina reminds me of that guy on Cliffhanger...the one who says, "it amazes me what a man would do for himself and his b*tch" and then stallone pushes him up against the ice and one pierces his chest...anyone know who im talking about???
Erm...no.

Cronios

Juventolog
Jun 7, 2004
He is right Zebina falls,
maybe his problem is exp(positioning),

i agree with Vonam,
Zebina has lost his pace and acceleration to play RB,
he feels that way, he asked not to be played there just because of that,he wont be convinced to return there,
but playing in a 3man defence would be ideal IMO,
because the problem isnt he hasnt the speed,
but its that, he hasnt the stamina to cover a flank,using this speed all the time,
the spaces between the midfielders and defenders become smaller in a 3-5-2 system and a defender has many options to pass and his teamates may cover him easily,
that would be the best solution for Thuram,

BUT in 3-4-3system that would be a nightmare,
3defenders sould do the job of 4,
Thuram might not resist to come forward with the ball and then track back chasing fast forwards in a counterattack.

I understand Andy's point on exp in the center of a defence,
i used to play as Lb, being good enough,
but i m totaly useless as CB,thats a totaly dif exp,
it needs time to adapt ur play and the rest of the defence to adapt with u,
world class players like ours sould adapt imediately,
but playing on world class level requires everything will work 100perfect,even the slightest mistake will be obvius,
i believe those mistakes were part of that,
our defence will become even more solid with the time,
Thuram+Canna was the best defensive twin and now they have one year of cooperation.

Now about the crosses,
we will never beat English teams on air game since this is the only thing they are training for,
i ve noticed Canna stays most of the times in the middle of our defence and he is a very good interceptor of a balls,
Thuram prefers to use his unmached one to one skills and power to stop everybody in the field before Buffon without giving up a penalty,
they complete each other perfectly.
a3-5-2 system with 2DMs and Cassano to create behind our two attackers is the best solution for Thuram's use IMO
and a 4-4-2 with two fast wing backs is the second best

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 5)