Let's Talk About Time Travel (1 Viewer)

Roverbhoy

Jul 31, 2002
Intersesting topics.:eek:

Firstly time travel. At present time appears to be moving in one direction. It is believed by some that when/if the universe stops expanding and starts contracting back to the original point of singularity time will reverse it's self.
Time is believed to move in one direction simply because incidents, events, occurances, etc, must have a starting point from which they spring. The starting point must come before the subsequent result of that action/starting point.

The events you postulate at the beginning of the thread about travelling back in time and killing your grandfather are colloqually termed a paradox.
Since theorectically you can't be born and thus create the time machine that takes you back if youve killed you grandfather is one of the reasons many believe time travel impossible. However, quantum theory suggests that for each action many different events occur from which you travel on only one route, resulting in millions of different branches of reality springing from each occurance...what's that TV show called again were the team travel to a new reality each episode?,...can't remember...this is an example of this theory anyway.

One point missed is that not only would you have to travel back in time you would have to invent a method of space travel to take you to the point in space that the earth occupied at that moment that you wished to travel to....(a worm hole perhaps) although some believe that time travel would automatically transport you to that point since the whole cosmos would reverse it's self to that unique point as part of the time travel process.

As for the Philidelphia experiment, I reckon this is something along the same lines as Rosswell, etc...urban myth. The original story was that it was testing a new type of electronic camouflage to shield it from Jap dive bombers...then it was a new type of anti-magnetic mine system,...hence the cable round the ship, then it was time and space travel.

No mystery here...shame, as I love these sort of thing...but not found one yet that has left me baffled :frown:

OP
gray

gray

Apr 22, 2003
  • Thread Starter #25
    ++ [ originally posted by Roverbhoy ] ++

The events you postulate at the beginning of the thread about travelling back in time and killing your grandfather are colloqually termed a paradox.
    Since theorectically you can't be born and thus create the time machine that takes you back if youve killed you grandfather is one of the reasons many believe time travel impossible. However, quantum theory suggests that for each action many different events occur from which you travel on only one route, resulting in millions of different branches of reality springing from each occurance...what's that TV show called again were the team travel to a new reality each episode?,...can't remember...this is an example of this theory anyway.
    Thanks for the replies Roverbhoy

The parallel world theory is horrible, i hate it :yuck:;)

it's silly to suggest that there's a different world for all the possibilities of events that could ever have happened, because in that show (Sliders, if we're talking about the same one), each unique world had its own passage of access. What if one of these worlds were to cease to exist, and you tried to 'slide' into that world?

(i don't know where this post is going, i might come back after some thought)

OP
    gray

gray

Apr 22, 2003
  • Thread Starter #27
    Who me? :LOL: is that because i spend a lot of my time thinking about these kinds of things? It really troubles me a lot when i can't get my mind around something. I don't care when it comes to school subjects, like if i can't understand something in physics or chemistry (though relativity was interesting in physics), but when it's something abstract like this, i try to understand it or try to find out all the reasons it can't be true ;)

OP
    gray

gray

Apr 22, 2003
  • Thread Starter #28
    Oh, I forgot to answer your question.

Not much :) Sleep is for the weak :p

OP
    gray

gray

Apr 22, 2003
  • Thread Starter #30
    ++ [ originally posted by discobamba ] ++

it shows :)
    Because of the immense intellectual capacity i exhibit as a result? :p

OP
    gray

gray

Apr 22, 2003
  • Thread Starter #33
    Coming from you, I'll take that as a compliment ;)

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
    @gray: SInce you're the expert, can you tell me what to wear tonight? Does leather go good together with denim? Also, do my jeans go with a yellow shirt? Help me accesorize mate!

:p

[/insinuating you know your stuff because you're gay]

Layce Erayce

Aug 11, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by Al Harbi ] ++
    thanx for the article, LAC.. that what I wanted to talk about here in this thread at the beginning.. (see 2nd post..) But, I don't think it has anything to do with time travelling.. :rolleyes:
    i tend to skip posts with excessive smilies/arrows/decorations/ooh, aahs/nonsense

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)