Where does he stand

• Legend

• Tuz Favorite

• Rookie

Results are only viewable after voting.
May 23, 2013
Nope.

Barzagli at his best is the one to pick from BBC. He was simply one of Italy's all time best.
This is going to sound harsh but imo when coming against the elite teams I cant remember Barzagli ever coming up big.

Honestly BBC was a overrated trio as a whole if we are to be honest. When have they managed to impress against an elite team?

Rollie

Apr 15, 2008
This is going to sound harsh but imo when coming against the elite teams I cant remember Barzagli ever coming up big.

Honestly BBC was a overrated trio as a whole if we are to be honest. When have they managed to impress against an elite team?
If I'm being honest, that's a load of bullshit.

They made the CL final 2/3 years, and won 6 consecutive domestic titles.

They shut out Messi, Neymar, and Suarez over two legs last season. They were good against Madrid on our way to the final the first time around. They were good against Bayern when Patrice gave it all back at the end. They helped an underwhelming Italian side shut out Spain at the Euros in 2016. Those examples in 15 seconds, off the top of my head -- I'm sure there are other examples.

They were unbelievable part of an elite defensive unit, and their skill-sets complemented each other ridiculously well.

- - - Updated - - -

And fuck Bonucci, I hope he shits the bed for the rest of his career.

Rollie

Apr 15, 2008
You could say our defence was more than the sum of it's parts. It's true, it was the best defence in the world, and it had the best goalkeeper of all time anchoring it.

However, Chiello was 3 time Serie A defender of the year before Barzagli joined Juve, or Bonucci had a clue how to defend. Not long after he came, Barzagli basically became out best defender - certainly was the best positionally, the best at man-marking. Those two are undeniably elite defenders. Leo became a very good defender, who is an elite passer of the ball, and was crucial in our system because of his distribution.

May Boner crash and burn at Milan.

- - - Updated - - -

Imo Chiellini's best years were during the Ranieri era
:tup:

Been very good for us in general, though. Definitely a club legend!

Catenaccio

Jul 15, 2002
I still remember vividly all of the Bonucci howlers during the Del Neri / Ferrara and early Conte years. That is when he was at around the same as Rugani. Rugani is relatively spotless and hardly makes any errors compared to what Bonucci was like at that age. Rugani just lacks that cunning edge or leadership qualities - although if he becomes a regular starter, he could improve leaps and bounds. He has the potential to become a much better defender than Bonucci was.

Salvo

J
Dec 17, 2007
I watched the game i last night>He was so shaky and made a clear penalty looking like a MMA fighter in the box.It is obviously that he was playing good while having Chiello/Barzagli around.
He's always been very shaky in one on ones, especially against technical/quick strikers. It was his other qualities (especially his technical/ball playing abilities) that made him so valuable to us.
I still remember vividly all of the Bonucci howlers during the Del Neri / Ferrara and early Conte years. That is when he was at around the same as Rugani. Rugani is relatively spotless and hardly makes any errors compared to what Bonucci was like at that age. Rugani just lacks that cunning edge or leadership qualities - although if he becomes a regular starter, he could improve leaps and bounds. He has the potential to become a much better defender than Bonucci was.
Go watch the first goal of the Genoa away match last year :D

May 23, 2013
If I'm being honest, that's a load of bull$#@!.

They made the CL final 2/3 years, and won 6 consecutive domestic titles.

They shut out Messi, Neymar, and Suarez over two legs last season. They were good against Madrid on our way to the final the first time around. They were good against Bayern when Patrice gave it all back at the end. They helped an underwhelming Italian side shut out Spain at the Euros in 2016. Those examples in 15 seconds, off the top of my head -- I'm sure there are other examples.

They were unbelievable part of an elite defensive unit, and their skill-sets complemented each other ridiculously well.

- - - Updated - - -

And $#@! Bonucci, I hope he $#@!s the bed for the rest of his career.
Well I said BBC for Juve in a trio is overrated as in a 3 man defense. In most of those games they were 2 man defenses and vs Bayern they gave away a shit ton of opportunities still.

In a 3 man defense they have come up short vs Bayern (home+away) 2013, Real (2014), Real (2017) conceding 10 goals in those 4 games.

Even in the Monaco game Buffon bailed them out on multiple occasions. The way Mbappe would get free is the problem with BBC. They too often lose who they are marking and that fucks us up. I dont see that as often when it was Bonucci-Chiellini in a 2 man defense.

Rollie

Apr 15, 2008
Well I said BBC for Juve in a trio is overrated as in a 3 man defense. In most of those games they were 2 man defenses and vs Bayern they gave away a shit ton of opportunities still.

In a 3 man defense they have come up short vs Bayern (home+away) 2013, Real (2014), Real (2017) conceding 10 goals in those 4 games.

Even in the Monaco game Buffon bailed them out on multiple occasions. The way Mbappe would get free is the problem with BBC. They too often lose who they are marking and that fucks us up. I dont see that as often when it was Bonucci-Chiellini in a 2 man defense.
You realize that those 3 examples you gave all won the CL during those years? Those were the best teams in the world, and the fact that they scored more than usual against Juve has a lot to do with our midfielders and forwards, too -- not just the defence. No defenders will be able to hold off those types of powerhouse teams if they get pinned down, and allow them chance after chance.

Mbappe is also a terror. He is going to give the very best defences in the world a very difficult time for years to come. That Monaco team was a very solid attacking team, and they scored a consolation goal -- their only goal -- with 20 minutes left in the tie.

Nah, I think you're cherry picking here. Our defence was outstanding for a long time. Unfortunately, players age and change teams.

May 23, 2013
You realize that those 3 examples you gave all won the CL during those years? Those were the best teams in the world, and the fact that they scored more than usual against Juve has a lot to do with our midfielders and forwards, too -- not just the defence. No defenders will be able to hold off those types of powerhouse teams if they get pinned down, and allow them chance after chance.

Mbappe is also a terror. He is going to give the very best defences in the world a very difficult time for years to come. That Monaco team was a very solid attacking team, and they scored a consolation goal -- their only goal -- with 20 minutes left in the tie.

Nah, I think you're cherry picking here. Our defence was outstanding for a long time. Unfortunately, players age and change teams.
Maybe im being harsh. However when I watch them I just feel that BBC works better as a dou with Chiello and Bonucci starting and Barzagli coming in late. Atleast in the CL. Serie A is another story.

Aug 12, 2015
Leonardo Bonucci says he doesn’t deserve to be called a traitor for joining Milan - “I always gave my all for Juventus”.

The centre-back made a shock €40m move to the Rossoneri earlier this summer, having won six Scudetti in a row as part of the famous 'BBC’ backline alongside Andrea Barzagli and Giorgio Chiellini.

“Meeting up with my friends on the pitch and in life always makes me happy,” Bonucci said in a Press conference at Coverciano today, ahead of Italy’s games with Spain and Israel.

“For me Giorgio, Andrea and Gigi [Buffon] remain friends and teammates because our professional paths may have diverged but the relationship created in the dressing room remains the same.

“I learned so much from them and they helped me to grow. Now we’re on this adventure with the national team together and we only have to think about Spain and Israel.

“I’m used to being the centre of controversy and positivity, and if I’m being talked about it’s because I’ve reached an important point as a footballer and as a man.

“I decided to leave Juventus because of choices the club made, it took balls to make the choice I did.

“I was called scum, a traitor and a mercenary; three heavy adjectives for someone who always gave my all for Juve.

“I didn’t leave for money, I earned almost the same last year with Juventus. With Juve we went along together until the end.

“The Juventus defence? I played with great champions and without them I couldn’t have done much.

“Lorenzo [Bonucci, his son] is definitely happier now though, because now he can cheer freely for Torino and [Andrea] Belotti!”

Bonucci was then asked about facing Spain, following the 1-1 draw at Juventus Stadium earlier in the campaign.

“We want to win but it won’t be easy. We’ll have to suffer against Spain though because they have great champions so we’ll need the best Italy.

“The motivation this game brings will allow us to overcome the precarious physical condition [caused by an early-season game].

“Sergio Ramos? He’s the best defender in the world. He got the award for the best defender in last season’s Champions League and that proves he’s the best.

pitbull

Jul 26, 2007
I was called scum, a traitor and a mercenary; three heavy adjectives for someone who always gave my all for Juve.

I don't see how becoming a Milan captain is giving your all for Juve.

Rollie

Apr 15, 2008
Maybe im being harsh. However when I watch them I just feel that BBC works better as a dou with Chiello and Bonucci starting and Barzagli coming in late. Atleast in the CL. Serie A is another story.
Well, last year I'd have been inclined to agree with you. I absolutely love Barzagli, but he's clearly lost a step.

I also think the 4 man back line has been important in CL, and believe we should stick with it.

But those guys were awesome for us for a long time -- that unit deserves respect, that's all I'm driving at. Unfortunately, it's time to move on, time to revamp the CBs and the defence in general.

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005
Well, yeah. You have some retarded fans that call you names because they don't have the balls to stomach the idea you went to play on a new adventure. Same thing happened in Cleveland when Lebron left and of course the moment he came back those fickle fans suddenly loved him again.

I harbor no issues with his comments. I'd be annoyed too if I worked as hard as he did at Juve only to be called names. Only concern I have is what "choice the club made" that he discusses. Seems like he had a bit thinner skin than we all thought.

Still hope "unsere neuer blitzkrieg und killini" break his legs :agree:

MikeM

Footballing Hipster celebrating 4th place with Tuz
Sep 21, 2008
This guy is a great sweeper.

But I'm sorry. Has he ever put in an extraordinary performance against an actual good team when he is in a 4 man defence? If the team in front is not playing perfectly, there is no difference between Bonucci and Acerbi for fuck sake.

There are so many times you can say you saw Chiellini, Barzagli, Cannavarro, etc. put in a great performance to make an actual difference relative to an average CB.

Thank god I don't have to hold my tongue anymore about this guy although you all know I was never his biggest fan.

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
This guy is a great sweeper.

But I'm sorry. Has he ever put in an extraordinary performance against an actual good team when he is in a 4 man defence? If the team in front is not playing perfectly, there is no difference between Bonucci and Acerbi for fuck sake.

There are so many times you can say you saw Chiellini, Barzagli, Cannavarro, etc. put in a great performance to make an actual difference relative to an average CB.

Thank god I don't have to hold my tongue anymore about this guy although you all know I was never his biggest fan.
Away vs. Barcelona

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 27)