Where does he stand

• Legend

• Tuz Favorite

• Rookie

Results are only viewable after voting.

Gerd

Dec 25, 2011
Ya because we didn't have a left back.
that was because we didn't have a defensive playmaker :D . If you had seen conte's siena their manouver always started from defenders , he likes to have defenders with good legs . It is actually possesion football that requires that and none of our other defenders have legs and vision except bonucci :D

Buy on AliExpress.com

MikeM

Footballing Hipster celebrating 4th place with Tuz
Sep 21, 2008
Ya and that backfires if you play a good team who doesn't give you the ball all game. TBH, Bonucci is fine most of the time because of our TEAM. But he's really not a good CB.

Just look at the Euro finals vs. Spain. He looked so so bad. What happens if we face Barca/Real/Bayern etc? He gets cut into pieces by mediocre forwards.

Hydde

Minimiliano Tristelli
Mar 6, 2003
That weird pose :D Well it seems you have never played football then :p
The pose is pretty standard, its like natural when the defender is running towards his goal but with his back to the incoming attacker to keep trace of him. The thing is that bonucci is so awkward doing it that It looks retarded, in comparison with someone like cannavaro for example, who used that kind of moves without looking dumb and getting silli yellows. Ill never forget in one game against milan, when he used a maneuver like that to stop shekvchenko in a 1v1 before gigis area. He left sheva rooted and without the ball and after that canna started the play with the ball on his feet.
That shit was epic defending.

AFL_ITALIA

MAGISTERIAL
Jun 17, 2011
Ya and that backfires if you play a good team who doesn't give you the ball all game. TBH, Bonucci is fine most of the time because of our TEAM. But he's really not a good CB.

Just look at the Euro finals vs. Spain. He looked so so bad. What happens if we face Barca/Real/Bayern etc? He gets cut into pieces by mediocre forwards.
This game cannot be used as a valid example for anything.

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
He is the same player he always was. He plays the easiest position on our team and one of the easiest positions you can play because of our possession and the two power houses beside him and he still makes tons of mistakes.

There's a reason Conte thinks Marrone can play the sweeper position. And it's not because Marrone is a great defender.

He's good in the air and is comfortable with the ball even though he still had a couple giveaways vs. Chelsea. He's good at last second slide tackles after he's caused the counter attack or has been skinned.

He is not a traditional CB in any sense and if we ever move from 3-5-2 I question whether he will even be on the team.
So it's just a coincidence that Juve's defence looked horribly insecure when playing Siena, with Marrone in Bonucci's place?

Bianconero_Aus

Beppe Marotta Is My God
May 26, 2009
Yeah I wouldn't use that Spain game as a barometer to measure Bonucci's defending. That was an extremely tired and injury ravaged team playing against quite possibly the best international team in history. I think any team in Italy's place would have struggled. I also think most people forget Italy played with 10 men for basically half of the game.

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
Both Chiellini and Barzagli had a worse game then in him in that final, especially Giorgio. Selective memory is a bitch.

And oh, I so do not want to see Marrone start as a CB in a game that will have our defenders tested quite a bit, was shakey enough vs relegation battling team who barely attack.

MikeM

Footballing Hipster celebrating 4th place with Tuz
Sep 21, 2008
So it's just a coincidence that Juve's defence looked horribly insecure when playing Siena, with Marrone in Bonucci's place?
4 shots and 33% possession. They were all over us, yup.

But is it really something to be proud of when the defence looks worse when a 22 year old CM is playing your spot? Like that is some sort of barometer lol.

Bottom line is Bonucci can't stop anyone 1 v 1, he can't play the Barza/Chiellini roles where you press your man all game. He can't man mark. He shares the same characteristics of a midfielder except he can win aerial battles. ERGO, Conte is using another midfielder as his sub.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 86)