Where does he stand

• Legend

• Tuz Favorite

• Rookie

Results are only viewable after voting.

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
Don't really see much of a problem here.

On the first ball he should be going for it with his left foot and just looking to knock it out of play, because it is an awkward ball to deal with.

On the second ball, Bonucci is quite rightly shaping his body to be ready to move with Maxi Lopez, so he was inevitably going to struggle when the ball went to the other side of him.

Sure, it looks pretty clumsy, but he's really isn't doing much wrong.

AlexOB

Apr 2, 2014
So much hate here. Bonnucci isn't that bad.
He is not WC but he is not like you guys are trying to make him.
I am a amateur Central Defender and when i saw a football game i always give special attention to CB. For example Hummels who is considerated a WC defender, have flaws similar to Bonnucci or even worse, he is just exceptional in the ball on he's feet.
In that gif that you guys posted i understand what happended. Bonnucci tries to make tackle/pass to Ogbonna and the last didn't understand and does not go for the ball, the attacker that wins the 2nd ball should be covered by Ogbonna.
So you mean to say that in that GIF the fault is Ogbonna's? If so, I can tell you why you didn't have a career as a defender :D

On the first ball he should be going for it with his left foot and just looking to knock it out of play, because it is an awkward ball to deal with.

On the second ball, Bonucci is quite rightly shaping his body to be ready to move with Maxi Lopez, so he was inevitably going to struggle when the ball went to the other side of him.

There are some problems there... Let's start from the fact that the first ball controll is atrocious and he gives an assist to Schelotto (in a very similar situation he assisted, litterally, Sau in 2011-12 for a draw in Turin), but beside this, he shouldn't have controlled the ball in the first place in such an awkward situation, since there was Ogbonna closing in in the left side, with no danger.

In the Maxi Lopez situation he should have simply turned his body and controlled the ball properly, he had plenty of time seeing how slow was spinning the ball and how he was unmarked, instead of that back-heel shit that could have assisted Schelotto once again, as infact happened. Just very bad decision making.

MikeM

Footballing Hipster celebrating 4th place with Tuz
Sep 21, 2008

Well I think you actually listed a problem. First, he's trying to bring the ball down with 3 players within a couple yards of him, 2 of them being Chievo strikers. Of course, he does it with his right foot which gets him screwed into the ground. From there he can't turn. You have to keep your body open at all times so you can remain mobile, and especially as a CB you never want to have your face to your own goal. So you have to use your left foot there.

And from there, he has no idea where Ogbonna is. He's right behind him, ready to deal with the bouncing ball. Instead, he's flustered as usual and sticks out his heel intending to clear it 50 yards I guess? Predictably it goes 5 centimetres and lands on the striker's foot. To stick out your leg like that is a joke. The ball is not going anywhere even if you connect. You're better off to forget the ball and shield the attacker, something Chiellini would do, and try to open your body towards Caceres. He's not shaping his body for anything, his hips are turned almost completely up the field, they're not turned to run with anyone.

His instincts and athleticism get him in awful, awful positions where from there you just throw up your hands and say, "I guess that's all he could do".

FFS, he played a delicate one-two with Schelotto.

Pirlo's Beard

Junkie Joe Joyce
Oct 2, 2013
He's pretty damn suicidal tbh

Fine as a back up player, we'd just be greedy if we were moaning about him as a 3rd choice player in a back 4. But he's too much of a defensive liability (Even if a majority of the time we manage to get away with it) to be starting for us all season and in all important games.

Tbh it has to be said he did look pretty good in a back 4 against Madrid.

And this is coming from a full time hater who was banned from this thread for 2 months :lol:

Pirlo's Beard

Junkie Joe Joyce
Oct 2, 2013
Next Summer we'll hopefully be transitioned into a back 4 system completely, then we should sell Bonucci/Ogbonna and replace them with a younger defender I.E nastasic who's probably going to be even more hopeful of a move away from city, as Mangala will inevitably lock down a spot next to Kompany.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
Everybody just see what they want to see.
Not just that, but his errors are highlighted, magnified and exaggerated. If we did that with all of our defenders bar Barzagli it would turn into a running joke, but that's for sadder people than me (trust me, that is very sad).

Fans always need a scapegoat, every club has one, bar none.

Hængebøffer

Jun 4, 2009
Not just that, but his errors are highlighted, magnified and exaggerated. If we did that with all of our defenders bar Barzagli it would turn into a running joke, but that's for sadder people than me (trust me, that is very sad).

Fans always need a scapegoat, every club has one, bar none.
Well, this has been going on for a long time, which lead to some of us getting accused og being fanboys. And it doesn't stop with the highlighting. The same people over and over again keep accusing him of stuff that's not even his fault.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
Well, this has been going on for a long time, which lead to some of us getting accused og being fanboys. And it doesn't stop with the highlighting. The same people over and over again keep accusing him of stuff that's not even his fault.
Being objective he is awkward and has an error in him, but his style is what mostly goes against him. If you look classier whilst being a lemon than it's not as bad. For some reason.

Hydde

Minimiliano Tristelli
Mar 6, 2003
Pretty much.

Bonucci has clearly not dealt with that situation well, but it's hardly a sequence worthy of a gif and and extended criticism.
I think that if he wasnt that bad, a lot of people like me would not be ripping him week in week out.

Theres something clearly wrong with him. Is not just a matter of "people hate him" argument. You dont see anyone bashing Barza or Chiello the way bonucci receives slack. He is bashed for a reason. Leggrotaglies and MOlinaros before him were also bashed because of their lack of quality. Is no coincidence.

GrecoJuve

May 19, 2014
:lol: classic answers, questions, gifs.
He isn't WC but he isn't that bad, for 3-5-2 is good because of his ball playing characteristics. Also, the fact that he is Italian, give him more points to stay and play.
End of story.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 75)