Latest Gossip (1 Viewer)

Dan

Back & Quack
Mar 9, 2004
++ [ originally posted by aressandro10 ] ++
THE HAGUE: A Dutch weekend magazine has called on its readers to take drastic measures to ensure Holland beat Germany in their Euro 2004 Group D match in Porto on June 15.

Holland have disappointed in their last few friendlies, losing 1-0 at home to Ireland on Saturday.

The magazine Panorama has included a voodoo doll dressed in a white shirt and black pants with each copy this weekend. Also included in the Euro set the magazine is giving its readers are three pins.

Readers are encouraged to think of a German player and stick the pins into the doll whilst thinking of the player.

Dutch media yesterday reported that the Dutch Football Association have distanced themselves from the somewhat bizarre offering of the magazine. – dpa
whats the fvck!? how sick :yuck:!

Buy on AliExpress.com

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
++ [ originally posted by FC Porto ] ++
LOLOL....
I'm portuguese and will be on the stadium hoping for Holland to beat Germany in a convincing way :D what can I do,since Euro '88 my life has never been the same... ORANJE!!!!
but first of all,may the match live up to the expectations!!!
And if Portugal can't win the tournament,would love to see the Dutch taking the trophy...
Hey! Portugoal!!! :extatic::D

Quite the coincidence, I like Portugal too. We are roughly in the same situation - two smaller countries, battling to beat the big guns. :cool:

OP
Roverbhoy

Roverbhoy

Jul 31, 2002
  • Thread Starter #26
    Vicente tips Spain to shine

Spain midfielder Vicente is confident the national team can shed their perennial underachievers tag thanks to Valencia's title-winners.
    "With five Valencia players in the squad we can bring that positive attitude, that hunger to win and the experience of winning," he said.

"I just hope that the national side gets that bit of luck that allows them to do as well as Valencia did."

Vicente played a vital role in helping Valencia win the league and Uefa Cup.

Vicente believes he and club colleagues David Albelda, Ruben Baraja, Carlos Marchena and Santiago Canizares can boost Spain's morale.

But the 22-year-old is also confident the four-man Real Madrid contingent can put their disappointments to one side.

"Obviously, it is not the same for the Real Madrid players because they haven't won anything this season," he added.

"But once they joined up with the rest of the squad they have shown that they can put all that behind them.

"All the players, whatever club they come from, are just concentrating on doing things well for Spain and I think everyone is in confident mood."

OP
    Roverbhoy

Roverbhoy

Jul 31, 2002
  • Thread Starter #27
    Del Piero eyes Euro revenge

Italy's Alessandro del Piero said he was determined to make up for the disappointment of losing the Euro 2000 final by winning in Portugal.
    The Juventus forward wasted two good chances with Italy leading 1-0 against France in the final four years ago.

An injury-time equaliser from Sylvain Wiltord and a golden goal winner from David Trezeguet saw Italy beaten.

"All 23 of us have desire," said Del Piero. "I have mine as well, which is to make amends for Euro 2000."

The 30-year-old has failed to recapture his best form for his country since the final in Rotterdam

OP
    Roverbhoy

Roverbhoy

Jul 31, 2002
  • Thread Starter #28
    Santini waits on Trezeguet

French coach Jacques Santini has insisted injured striker David Trezeguet is recovering well after twisting his ankle during training.
    The Juventus player, who hurt the ankle on Friday, has been ordered to rest until Tuesday, though Santini is hopeful he will be fit to face England.

France beat Ukraine 1-0 on Sunday - the team's 18th match unbeaten - and have not let in a goal for nearly a year.

Santini said: "Our preparation is going as planned - we'll be ready in a week."

OP
    Roverbhoy

Roverbhoy

Jul 31, 2002
  • Thread Starter #29
    Seedorf facing fitness race

Clarence Seedorf faces an anxious wait to see if he will be fit for Euro 2004 after suffering a hamstring injury in the defeat to the Republic of Ireland.
    Seedorf came on at half time on Saturday, but only lasted 15 minutes before being forced to leave the field.

The AC Milan midfielder made no signal to the bench before walking off the pitch and straight down the tunnel.

Holland coach Dick Advocaat said: "If it really is his hamstring he will be off the list for Euro 2004."

He added: "Clarence walked off after he felt a stinging pain in his upper leg."

Although an MRI scan on Sunday showed no significant damage to the muscle, Seedorf will have the injury examined again on Monday before the squad travels to Portugal on Tuesday.

Prior to Saturday's friendly against the Republic of Ireland, it was reported that Seedorf had demanded to play in central midfield during Euro 2004.

But he was again played out of position when brought on as a substitute at the Amsterdam ArenA, prompting rumours of a fall-out with Advocaat.

Should Seedorf miss the Euro 2004 finals, Advocaat may ask Uefa for special dispensation to name a replacement even though the official squad lists have been registered.

OP
    Roverbhoy

Roverbhoy

Jul 31, 2002
  • Thread Starter #30
    Figo misses training

Portugal's star midfielder Luis Figo was forced to train on his own on Monday with a slight leg muscle strain.
    Figo, the host nation's top player, was confined to the gym for the Portuguese squad's morning session.

But a spokesman expected the Real Madrid man to be fit to return for the squad's afternoon work-out on the outskirts of Lisbon.

Portugal were training for the first time since beating Lithuania 4-1 in their final warm-up match.

Meanwhile defender Ricardo Carvalho has given his backing to a selection policy that could see him miss out on a place in the team.

Portugal coach Felipe Scolari has said that Jorge Andrade and Fernando Couto will be his first choice central defensive pairing.

That means Champions League winner Ricardo Carvalho will have to settle for a place on the bench.

Ricardo Carvalho was an integral part of Porto's Champions League victory, and is considered by many pundits to be the best central defender in Portugal.

But the Porto stopper said: "I'm happy with whatever the coach decides.

"I will work hard and if the coach chooses them, I have to respect his decision."

OP
    Roverbhoy

Roverbhoy

Jul 31, 2002
  • Thread Starter #31
    Gronkjaer setback for Danes

Denmark's preparations for Euro 2004 suffered a blow with Jesper Gronkjaer not travelling to Portugal with his team-mates because of a family illness.
    The winger will join the rest of the squad when he can.

Denmark coach Morten Olsen said: "There are things more important in life than football, especially the family."

"I spoke with Jesper and absolutely understand his desire to stay near his loved ones up till the moment he feels ready to leave Denmark."

Sep 28, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by Roverbhoy ] ++
    Gronkjaer setback for Danes

Denmark's preparations for Euro 2004 suffered a blow with Jesper Gronkjaer not travelling to Portugal with his team-mates because of a family illness.
    The winger will join the rest of the squad when he can.

Denmark coach Morten Olsen said: "There are things more important in life than football, especially the family."

"I spoke with Jesper and absolutely understand his desire to stay near his loved ones up till the moment he feels ready to leave Denmark."
    amen to that.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
    ++ [ originally posted by Roverbhoy ] ++
    Figo misses training

Portugal's star midfielder Luis Figo was forced to train on his own on Monday with a slight leg muscle strain.
    Figo, the host nation's top player, was confined to the gym for the Portuguese squad's morning session.

But a spokesman expected the Real Madrid man to be fit to return for the squad's afternoon work-out on the outskirts of Lisbon.

Portugal were training for the first time since beating Lithuania 4-1 in their final warm-up match.

Meanwhile defender Ricardo Carvalho has given his backing to a selection policy that could see him miss out on a place in the team.

Portugal coach Felipe Scolari has said that Jorge Andrade and Fernando Couto will be his first choice central defensive pairing.

That means Champions League winner Ricardo Carvalho will have to settle for a place on the bench.

Ricardo Carvalho was an integral part of Porto's Champions League victory, and is considered by many pundits to be the best central defender in Portugal.

But the Porto stopper said: "I'm happy with whatever the coach decides.

"I will work hard and if the coach chooses them, I have to respect his decision."
    Figo, Portugal's top player? I beg to differ. That title, IMO, would have to go to Rui Costa. He is the key for them.

OP
    Roverbhoy

Roverbhoy

Jul 31, 2002
  • Thread Starter #35
    From Teletext:-

BAROS IN FITNESS FIGHTNESS

Milan Baros is facing a race against time to be fit for Euro 2004 after limping out of the Czech Republic's 2-0 win over Estonia on Sunday.

The Liverpool striker bagged both the goals before being substituted after 36 minutes and assistant coach Miroslav Beranek said: "He got a rough hit while turning around, but he should be fine."

The Czech Republic, in the tough Group D, begin against Latvia on June 15.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
    ++ [ originally posted by Fliakis ] ++
    no hes not. i'd start deco ahead of him easily.
    Bah. I would start Deco in Figo's spot on the right, with Rui Costa in the center. Deco can play on the right flank.

But I think Deco should be given a starting role no matter what; he's simply amazing.

delpiero10

Apr 5, 2004
    Thuram is unimpressed by Rooney and says he is too young and unexperienced and doesnt score too much either, and that France are not afraid of him and England!.

I agree with Thuram.

When i first heard of Wayne Rooney, I though it was a betting race-horse :D.

paulo

Aug 14, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by Andy ] ++

Bah. I would start Deco in Figo's spot on the right, with Rui Costa in the center. Deco can play on the right flank.

But I think Deco should be given a starting role no matter what; he's simply amazing.
    It doesn't matter if Deco can play on the right as they already have Figo in that position. Unless Figo plays on the left..

Either way, I'm a big fan of Deco and think he should be given the chance to play an important role for the Portugal side. If that means Rui Costa sitting on the bench then let it be so. No one is on fire as much as Deco right now.

OP
    Roverbhoy

Roverbhoy

Jul 31, 2002
  • Thread Starter #40
    From the BBC:-

Injuries clear for Italy

Italy flew from Pisa to Lisbon on Monday, with coach Giovanni Trapattoni confident injury problems within the squad are clearing up.
    Lazio midfielder Stefano Fiore missed the friendly win over Tunisia with a thigh problem but is expected to resume training in Portugal.

Defender Christian Panucci has been troubled by an Achilles tendon injury.

"I'm not that worried," said Trapattoni of 31-year-old Panucci. "He just needs time to rest."

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)