Latest FIFA Rankings (1 Viewer)

reneu

Jul 2, 2004
++ [ originally posted by gray ] ++
Austria were entertaining to watch at the 98 World Cup. 3 group stage matches, 3 equalising goals in stoppage time. Incredible :stress:

yeah, that was some nice playing, the last time I saw this good play from austria! if I remember right, it was a 1-1 vs. Chile, a 1-1 vs. Camerun, and finally a loss to italy by 1-2 and we were thrown out.

Buy on AliExpress.com

3pac

Alex Del Mexico
May 7, 2004
7 USA
8 England
9 Italy
10 Turkey
11 Argentina
12 Portugal
12 Germany
14 Greece

i understand its jsut based on wins, but consider who they played

italy, england, portugal, and germany took on soem of the worlds best teams, while i jsut watched the USA play grenada, a team form a small island with less than 100,000 people. the competition for the US and mexico yr round is far easier (until the wc of course) than that of euro teams.

BigIzz

Jul 12, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Sir Sebastian ] ++

italy, england, portugal, and germany took on soem of the worlds best teams, while i jsut watched the USA play grenada, a team form a small island with less than 100,000 people. the competition for the US and mexico yr round is far easier (until the wc of course) than that of euro teams.
Malta, Slovenia, Israel, Cyprus, Bosnia, Luxemborg, Moldova, Belarus, San Marino, Iceland, Luthaina, Faroe Islands, Armenia, Northern Ireland, Liechtenstein, Macedonia, Estonia, Andorra, Wales, Serbia and Montenegro, Azerbaijan, Albania, Georgia. All in Europe. All wouldn't stand a chance to qualify in CONCACAF.

Playing in CONCACAF isn't nearly as easy as it looks. I would like to see how many European teams would be able to go into a country like Costa Rica, Honduras or Guatemala and win a World Cup Qualifier. You will arrive in a foregin country a few days before the match starts. Every night, outside of your hotel room, thousands of that country's supporters will party and play loud music right outside of your hotel with the sole purpose of preventing the players from sleeping. Don't be suprised if you get a fire alarm or two in the middle of the night.

Then on match day, you will take a bus through the jungle to get to their countries stadium. It may be the national stadium, filled with thousands of rabid country men who feel this is the most important event in their country for that entire year. The stadium may be some tiny one, high up in the mountains. It may not even be the place where you thought you were going to play four or five days ago, because their FA moved it just to play games. You will arrive at this dilapidated stadium, with far subpar facilities, then be asked to play on a pitch that looks like a cow pasture. The referree is fearing for his life, and rightfuly so, so don't expect to get too many calls in your favor. The fans may be nice and call you obscene names all game. Or they may be mean and throw batteries, bags of urine or feces at you. Now go out and win the game convincingly against a very talented and very atheltic opponent. Playing in CONCACAF isn't nearly as easy as it looks.

Now don't get me wrong, obviously Europe is stronger. But all 3 CONCACAF teams did very well in the last WC, with Costa Rica very unlucky not to make the round of 16, Mexico winning its group and making the round of 16 and the United States making the semi-finials and losing 1-0, in part to a bad call by Hugh Dallas.

Yes the US did recently play Greneda (where the road leg was played at a cricket stadium durring a moonsoon on a pitch worse then the one at my high school). But that was the third round of qualifying. Things get much more difficult in the semi-finals and then durring the Hex. So give us North Americans just a little credit, please?

3pac

Alex Del Mexico
May 7, 2004
++ [ originally posted by BigIzz ] ++

Malta, Slovenia, Israel, Cyprus, Bosnia, Luxemborg, Moldova, Belarus, San Marino, Iceland, Luthaina, Faroe Islands, Armenia, Northern Ireland, Liechtenstein, Macedonia, Estonia, Andorra, Wales, Serbia and Montenegro, Azerbaijan, Albania, Georgia. All in Europe. All wouldn't stand a chance to qualify in CONCACAF.

Playing in CONCACAF isn't nearly as easy as it looks. I would like to see how many European teams would be able to go into a country like Costa Rica, Honduras or Guatemala and win a World Cup Qualifier. You will arrive in a foregin country a few days before the match starts. Every night, outside of your hotel room, thousands of that country's supporters will party and play loud music right outside of your hotel with the sole purpose of preventing the players from sleeping. Don't be suprised if you get a fire alarm or two in the middle of the night.

Then on match day, you will take a bus through the jungle to get to their countries stadium. It may be the national stadium, filled with thousands of rabid country men who feel this is the most important event in their country for that entire year. The stadium may be some tiny one, high up in the mountains. It may not even be the place where you thought you were going to play four or five days ago, because their FA moved it just to play games. You will arrive at this dilapidated stadium, with far subpar facilities, then be asked to play on a pitch that looks like a cow pasture. The referree is fearing for his life, and rightfuly so, so don't expect to get too many calls in your favor. The fans may be nice and call you obscene names all game. Or they may be mean and throw batteries, bags of urine or feces at you. Now go out and win the game convincingly against a very talented and very atheltic opponent. Playing in CONCACAF isn't nearly as easy as it looks.

Now don't get me wrong, obviously Europe is stronger. But all 3 CONCACAF teams did very well in the last WC, with Costa Rica very unlucky not to make the round of 16, Mexico winning its group and making the round of 16 and the United States making the semi-finials and losing 1-0, in part to a bad call by Hugh Dallas.

Yes the US did recently play Greneda (where the road leg was played at a cricket stadium durring a moonsoon on a pitch worse then the one at my high school). But that was the third round of qualifying. Things get much more difficult in the semi-finals and then durring the Hex. So give us North Americans just a little credit, please?

i understand, dont forget im born and raised in california

i wasnt implying all european teams (sorry if i didnt word it well) just some ones i felt should obviously be above the US and mexico.

i still feel teams like italy (well maybe not after last euro :undecide:) and england, germany, and portugal WOULD win those games in those countries. no matter how much pressure they are under, i still think a team like portugal is better than the usa or mexico. maybe i just have a different opinion, anyone else have anything to say?

BigIzz

Jul 12, 2002
Well they probably would find a way but then again so does the US and Mexico, they usually figure out a way to get at least a point in those hostile South American situations. My point is though it isn't easy. And we will never really know because Germany and England will never play a meaningful game there. Then again we will never know how the US or Mexico would fare qualifying in Europe or in the European Championships. Surely though if Greece could win Euro, the US, Mexico or even Costa Rica could. That of course doesn't mean they are better then any of the European teams.

I'm not arguing that the class of Europe is better then the class of North America. Europe has more great teams then anyone in the world. But it is far from being all quality as I have shown.

As for the comparison with England, all I know is that England would trade any of their keepers for any of the 3 Americans playing in the Premiership right now...

3pac

Alex Del Mexico
May 7, 2004
ok you win

im way too lazy and i dont have enough opinions to bother writing another argument back (you would win anyway).

3pac

Alex Del Mexico
May 7, 2004
ok, my side is ressurected!

yes america has good keepers, but who is said to be the worlds best keeper? (buffon)

and hwo many goals did he let in last season? keepers dont necceasarily determine games (i knwo you know that)

also your right we wont really ever see them play those games, so would it be exciting if fifa were to make the qualification groups totally randomized across the world, or woudl that defeat the purpose of rpresenting your "continent"

im aware that was a REALLY shite argument, just tryign to find somethign to use, but for the sake of it, im definitely right :D (because of my super cool avatar)

River

Jun 15, 2004
++ [ originally posted by BigIzz ] ++
I'm not arguing that the class of Europe is better then the class of North America. Europe has more great teams then anyone in the world. But it is far from being all quality as I have shown.

As for the comparison with England, all I know is that England would trade any of their keepers for any of the 3 Americans playing in the Premiership right now...
Yeah I agree with your points about North America being much underrated.

Thought im pretty sure the keeper would be the only american to make the england team. ;)

BigIzz

Jul 12, 2002
++ [ originally posted by River ] ++

Thought im pretty sure the keeper would be the only american to make the england team. ;)
I don't disagree. But is that because of stigma or because of talent level? A number of Americans are doing very well in the Premiership and I don't see any reason why this won't continue.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Potential is the word. I think they have what it takes to be a sort of Germany of the western hemisphere -- individual players who come up a bit short on the international scale, but make up for it with toughness and team play.

But, unlike Germany, they have to win big games. So for now they play like Germany, but win like Spain. ;)

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
i would have said that these rankings are useless and stupid but seeing Libya put in 70th place completely changed my mind:extatic:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)