Last chance for Canna/ Thuram? (1 Viewer)

Valley

Apr 20, 2004
I can't help thinking, Thuram and Cannavaro are around the age when a defender hits his peak normally. I'd say there are two seasons for these two where we can trust them to be world class. After that....well look what happened to Montero.

That means I think we need to win the CL in the next two seasons, because right now we have a world class first choice centre partnership and we need to make the most of it while it lasts. If you look around also, it does not look like Juve's defence is building for the future. Ferrara, Iuliano, Montero, all old and not that great these days. Legro and Tudor are the youngest and I don't see them as the rock of Juve defence in the future.

The point is, we need to make the most of this because when they retire or have a drop in form, we will have to spend money either buying older top class players or investing in younger ones in defence. And I don't see Nesta getting sold cheaply in a few years that's for sure.

We are not like Roma where they have Ferrari (already experienced and still young) and Mexes (who could become excellent...maybe). I don't mind having old players but we also need to think about investments for the future!

Sorry to be negative but while we have a nice looking defence I hope we can win the CL before we need to splash out again!

Buy on AliExpress.com

Mr. Gol

Sep 15, 2004
Both Thuram and Fabio will last for another two seasons. They are still very fast. And by then new talents will have emerged, so don't worry too much about the future and concentrate about the present.

xziz

Aug 30, 2004
Valley,l there is plenty of talent in the market. At this point JUventus startegy seems to go be winning now, rather than building for the future. Therefore Thuram-Cannavaro are outstanding options for now, and in two years, Moggi will bring in Younger but proven talents, who will replace them in the team lineup.

I think we are fine with them this year and next year.

xziz

Primo

Juventus FC - Philippines
Dec 20, 2002
I think by then, Legro and Tudor will probably step-up.

Legro and Tudor aren't bad players at all, they jus need more playing time. And I doubt seriously that Thuram will last another year on top of his game. He's good but we need to make room for the future.

Look at what we're doing to Blasi. He's definitely an investment.

Eaglesnake_1

Mar 28, 2004
++ [ originally posted by Valley ] ++
I can't help thinking, Thuram and Cannavaro are around the age when a defender hits his peak normally. I'd say there are two seasons for these two where we can trust them to be world class. After that....well look what happened to Montero.

That means I think we need to win the CL in the next two seasons, because right now we have a world class first choice centre partnership and we need to make the most of it while it lasts. If you look around also, it does not look like Juve's defence is building for the future. Ferrara, Iuliano, Montero, all old and not that great these days. Legro and Tudor are the youngest and I don't see them as the rock of Juve defence in the future.

The point is, we need to make the most of this because when they retire or have a drop in form, we will have to spend money either buying older top class players or investing in younger ones in defence. And I don't see Nesta getting sold cheaply in a few years that's for sure.

We are not like Roma where they have Ferrari (already experienced and still young) and Mexes (who could become excellent...maybe). I don't mind having old players but we also need to think about investments for the future!

Sorry to be negative but while we have a nice looking defence I hope we can win the CL before we need to splash out again!
Your opinion is respectable,but our defense, is one of the top in the world. Its true that most of them are thirty, but they are still between the best defenders in Europe...and What happened to montero???? didnt you saw him in the copa America ?? The TV commentators choose him as the best defender in the competition??? Ferrara , montero, iuliano are not older than Canna and Thuram...As i see it, we have the best defensive rooster of all european team.....

Erkka

Mar 31, 2004
Ferrara and Montero are going to retire after this season, right?! Anyway, Canna and Thuram will be solid for two seasons at least, and you can't really predict what will happen in two years in world of football... You never know, then we might have Mexes and Kompany, or Tudor and Legrottalie... What ever the situation is, there's one thing that I'm sure of, we'll be competitive... :cool:

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
You're right, Valley. Thuram and Cannavaro are world-class, but they're not young. They'll be solid for another two seasons, maybe three, but sooner or later we'll have to look at replacements for both of the two.

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
Dec 16, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Eaglesnake_1 ] ++

Your opinion is respectable,but our defense, is one of the top in the world. Its true that most of them are thirty, but they are still between the best defenders in Europe...and What happened to montero???? didnt you saw him in the copa America ?? The TV commentators choose him as the best defender in the competition??? Ferrara , montero, iuliano are not older than Canna and Thuram...As i see it, we have the best defensive rooster of all european team.....
True !:cool:

Jan 7, 2004
++ [ originally posted by Stuart ] ++
You're right, Valley. Thuram and Cannavaro are world-class, but they're not young. They'll be solid for another two seasons, maybe three, but sooner or later we'll have to look at replacements for both of the two.

a lot is gonna happen in 2-3 years.

_Emerson

Aug 13, 2004
But look at it this way: instead of having talented players, which will take years to rise to their peak and world class level, we actually has that now in Canna and Thuram. Those two are among the best in the world, and even if they are at their peaks, it takes many seasons for them to decrease into a bad defender, So practically the only difference is that with experienced world class players you can have instant success.

Eaglesnake_1

Mar 28, 2004
We not just have Thuram and canna, we have one of the most complete rooster for CD in Europe : Thuram, canna, montero, tudor, ferrara, Legrottaglie and Iuliano. I will bet nobody can mention a team with a bigger quality standart in respect of central defenders...

Jul 12, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Erkka ] ++
Ferrara and Montero are going to retire after this season, right?! Anyway, Canna and Thuram will be solid for two seasons at least, and you can't really predict what will happen in two years in world of football... You never know, then we might have Mexes and Kompany, or Tudor and Legrottalie... What ever the situation is, there's one thing that I'm sure of, we'll be competitive... :cool:
I am not secure with competitiveness. Should we not dominate?

Erkka

Mar 31, 2004
:D

Well at least we have a good chance of becoming the best team around again... But it will take few years, and it needs 100% success from Moggi-Bettega-Giraudo-axle... And naturally Capello must get what he wants...

How do you see the chances for Juventus to get success this year Ian?!

Aug 26, 2003
ok, we maybe have old defense but if they play well then there is no problem!!!
I think Thuram and Cannavaro can be on top level for another 2 seasons!!!!
look also Ferrara this guy is 35 or something and is still usefull for some games!!
I think what we were missing last year was that maybe that players like Montero can't play every match and so they got weaker but i think they can be very useful for some games!!
and lets not forget Tudor and Legrottaglie in form are very good defenders!!!

I think we have an super Central defense and if Thuram or Canna is missing (god plz not) then i think Legro or Tudor will step in and make it good!!

and Ferrara and Montero or Iuliano will retire next season and then we will bring in some fresh guys i think!!

so at the moment i am enjoying the juve defense with 2 clean sheets!

Adrian

Jan 31, 2003
thuram and cannavaro will stay there long enough until moggi brings in younger talents who are capabale. Legrottaglie and Tudor are old enough to step up already, and they havent done so. Tudor more due to injuries of course. So they are back up and will probably remain as back up until they either leave or unless the club goes bankrupt:D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)