L.A. Noire (2 Viewers)

Nedvěd

PS3s overheating and shutting down while playing LA Noire | Crave | CNET UK

Sony and fans of its PlayStation just can't catch a break -- gamers are reporting that their PS3s are overheating and shutting down while playing the much-anticipated gumshoe-em up LA Noire, which goes on sale in the UK tomorrow.

It's not certain at the moment what's causing the issue, but game developer Rockstar (the same chaps behind last year's Red Dead Redemption and the excellent Grand Theft Auto franchise) posted on its support site that the issue seemed to be caused by a recent PS3 firmware update to version 3.61, and wasn't limited to its own game.

The post's been taken down now (a cached version is available), but read, "We have received some reports of PS3s overheating while playing LA Noire or beeping three times before shutting down/turning themselves off, mostly on older 60GB and 80GB fat models.

"Primary reports seem to be that updating to firmware 3.61 will cause PlayStations to overheat." There's no indication as to whether any permanent damage is caused.

The fact that Rockstar's taken the post down suggests that it may have changed its mind -- it's possible the problem lies on the developer's end. But if indeed the problem isn't limited to LA Noire, Sony would have released a firmware update that causes its own console to overheat.

Sony's denying that it's firmware update is to blame though -- speaking to Edge a spokesperson said, "As with the release of any system update, we will invariably see a very small number of users whose console has failed following updating their console, which is an unfortunate coincidence.

"Rockstar... have admitted that it is a fault with their latest title LA Noire and have offered a work around. It should also be noted that the issue with this title is not PS3 specific and is also affecting other consoles."

Rockstar is yet to issue another statement on the matter since the original post was removed, but we're dying to hear its take on the matter.

It's not known how widespread the problem is, but word of this issue could put a dent in first-day sales of the PS3 version of LA Noire tomorrow -- gamers who own both a PS3 and Xbox 360 could plump for the Xbox version, and many may wish to wait until the problem's been ironed out before risking their consoles overheating.

The issue follows weeks of hacking, data theft and PSN outages that will no doubt have left Sony's PR team gasping for breath.

What do you think? Would you hold off buying LA Noire because of this? Let us know in the comments, or on our

Read more: PS3s overheating and shutting down while playing LA Noire | Crave | CNET UK

Nedvěd

L.A. Noire Causing Consoles to Malfunction [Updated]
Rockstar game may be causing Xbox 360 and PS3 consoles to freeze or switch-off.
UK, May 19, 2011

by Daniel Krupa
IGN UK

Update 2: Sony and Rockstar Games have issued the following joint statement.

"We have received a very small number of customer support questions about PS3s overheating or shutting down while playing L.A. Noire. At this time, Rockstar Games and Sony can confirm that neither L.A. Noire or firmware update 3.61 are causing the PS3 hardware to overheat. We are both committed to working hard to find solutions to this and any issues that may arise. If you are experiencing any issues with L.A. Noire or your PS3 hardware, please contact technical support using any of the means provided below:

Update 1:
A Sony spokesperson has told EDGE that the firmware 3.61 is not responsible for L.A. Noire overheating issues. Sony also went on to say that "Rockstar have now updated their FAQ on the matter, have admitted that it is a fault with their latest title LA Noire and have offered a work around. It should also be noted that the issue with this title is not PS3 specific and is also affecting other consoles."

Rockstar Support is advising affected users to delete their game data (not their save data) from their PS3 or clear their cache on Xbox 360. Rockstar are currently describing such incidents as "isolated crashes."

Original Story
: Sony's 3.61 firmware patch for the PS3, which attempted to secure consoles after the PSN breach, could be making older machines freeze or switch off.

This claim originated on an official Rockstar support page. However, this page has since been taken down, and Rockstar have stressed that this was not an official statement. The information was sourced by a member of their customer support team from the European PlayStation boards.

When the page was active, Rockstar support detailed "reports of PS3s overheating while playing L.A. Noire or beeping three times before shutting down/turning themselves off, mostly on older 60GB and 80GB fat models."

And that it was "confirmed locally that multiple games (Rockstar and non-Rockstar) overheat or freeze only when 3.61 is installed."

Again, Rockstar have stressed that this was not an official statement. When contacted for comment, Sony said, "We don't comment on rumours or speculation about our products."

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/116/1169235p1.html

OP
Fake Melo

Fake Melo

Ghost Division
Sep 3, 2010
  • Thread Starter #16
    f*ck it i think ill get it tomorrow, and take a week off world of warcraft raiding :D but concerned about this overheating business, i got a old playstation model :S
    Me too. That's whats been bugging me. I got the older version. I hope they'll fix it.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
    I just picked it up today. THere was supposed to be a patch for the PS3 version that took care of whatever issue was going on with it.

Osman

Koul Khara!
    Aug 30, 2002
    I have had no such issues, been playing with my bro's today (like watching a seedy noire flick), its amazing. I'm on 4-5th mission? Homicide part, its really sick, the investigations and interrogations.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)