Kwadwo Asamoah (10 Viewers)

Vlad

In Allegri We Trust
May 23, 2011
Although, having said that. If we move to a back 4 i'd much rather we buy an actual left back and let Asamoah get games in midfield. We don't have to over play our midfielders and Asa doesn't have to adapt to anything long term. As he's more than capable in midfield.
But who could we buy? Even if we play him out of position he'd still be better than the names available to us. Asamoah and Ogbonna covering the left side is worth a shot, that is if we move to a back 4.

Albo

Apr 13, 2009
But who could we buy? Even if we play him out of position he'd still be better than the names available to us. Asamoah and Ogbonna covering the left side is worth a shot, that is if we move to a back 4.
Yep true,i would rather have him than any other average LB !

j0ker

Capo di tutti capi
Jan 5, 2006
Although, having said that. If we move to a back 4 i'd much rather we buy an actual left back and let Asamoah get games in midfield. We don't have to over play our midfielders and Asa doesn't have to adapt to anything long term. As he's more than capable in midfield.
Names please, how much would they cost and are they that much better than Asamoah to send him to the bench, since in midfield he isn't going to replace any of our starting trio.

:agree:

Xperd

Allegrophobic Infidel
Jun 1, 2012
Alaba is/was originally a CM.Intially Lahm was playing on the left,but due to Rafinha's poor form,Heynckes shifted Lahm back to the right and put Alaba at LB(who then,was mostly used as a rotational CM option) and it worked wonders for them.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
Exactly.

Hell, Daniel Rose did it :lol:
Well firstly Rose isn't even close to the level we would require of a left back. Secondly, he has always been a wide player, so knows how to the use the ball in this area of the field. Thirdly, he and Alaba were converted to the position at a much younger age than Asamoah, so have developed as players with the role.

rakib567

Apr 27, 2013
Alaba is/was originally a CM.Intially Lahm was playing on the left,but due to Rafinha's poor form,Heynckes shifted Lahm back to the right and put Alaba at LB(who then,was mostly used as a rotational CM option) and it worked wonders for them.
alaba was originally a leftwinger and then shifted to a defensive mid position and then to a leftback position. it's like saying asamoah was a CM then goes to LWB and then back to CM and becomes great. if we are going to get a leftback it has to be a good solid LEFTBACK and not an illusion. Santon, Rogriguez or Alexsandro. santos would be a low cost high reward player if he turns out to be any good and considering he is 22 and Italian it could be good for both juve and the national team. rodriguez and alexsadro could be a bit more expensive but definitely worth the risk as they will develop into the top generation of fullbacks.

LiquidPLP

Jun 9, 2012
I think it's safe to say Asamoah will play LB if the switch to 4 man defense happens. I can't see Marotta dropping big money on LB. Ogbonna, Chiellini, Caceres and Peluso can play there if necessary too.

Klin

نحن الروبوتات
May 27, 2009
Having a defensive LB won't be a problem if we had a good attacking winger in front of him. It goes the other way on the right side with Licht to balance out the team.

LiquidPLP

Jun 9, 2012
:agree: but still Asamoah provides that bit going forward imo. It's just that he's always outnumbered on the wing. If he'll be a backup on the wing to LWF he'll look even better.

He improved his 1v1 lately too.

JBF

اختك يا زمن
Aug 5, 2006
Well firstly Rose isn't even close to the level we would require of a left back. Secondly, he has always been a wide player, so knows how to the use the ball in this area of the field. Thirdly, he and Alaba were converted to the position at a much younger age than Asamoah, so have developed as players with the role.
Firstly, no shit. I didn't say we should sign Rose, but rather that he made a successful transition into a LB and has been good at it (Spurs level).

Second & third, Asamoah is also used to play wide, and have on multiple games played as a LB for both Ghana and on times for Juve.

Hydde

Minimiliano Tristelli
Mar 6, 2003
Asamoah as LB will be nuts. If he has a superb winger in front of him in charge of the attacking duties... asa just needs to be his back up ad run those 3/4 of the field like a boss. he doesnt even need to g further.

MikeM

Footballing Hipster celebrating 4th place with Tuz
Sep 21, 2008
Asamoah is absolutely worth a shot as a LB. The only defensive questions I'd have are on crosses, whether he can always cover off surging attackers. So far at Juve, I haven't seen him make a mistake in that area. He's always in excellent position in his own box on aerial balls but he also does lack height so he could be climbed over in nervy situations.

Then again, there are/were quite a few great fullbacks who were short. lahm, evra, alaba, alves off the top of my head.

Then you think of the benefits. Well, you don't have to spend 10-15M on a replacement who might not even be an upgrade. You already know Kwadwo is firmly integrated and settled into the team. Chemistry is there already. And a LB usually has more time to cross since he's not the one driving forward with the ball, he's supporting. So you could even see an improvement in his attacking quality.

To the question about if I'd be comfortable with him marking Robben, Di Maria, Ronaldo, Bale, Ribery, etc. Well, there are only 2 players I'd be more comfortable with in space against those players - Barzagli and Vidal. Asamoah has shown he has incredible pace, agility, acceleration, strength and most importantly disciplined timing.

When it comes down to it, there are very few names available that seem like a certain upgrade on him. I mean, Schmelzer, Santon, Silva, etc. cannot be better than him IMO.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 10)