Kiev crisis / Euromaidan (15 Viewers)

Brandmon

Juventuz irregular
Aug 13, 2008
I think that Russia has just lost their "new war". Even Putin will have to officially cut all contacts with the separatists which means that the Ukrainian Army will wipe the floor with them in the following weeks. That is my guess at least.
Unlikely that they will cut all contacts. Most probably though the Russian will find a way to provide "asylum" for them though, just to make sure that they don't spill the beans on Russian involvement throughout the whole conflict.

What is clear from now on though is that the Russian policy of ambiguous support for the insurgents is no longer sustainable; too much risk for next to nothing in return. If the Russians are to achieve any degree of success in maintaining instability in Eastern Ukraine, they would have to escalate their efforts one way or another. Won't go down well with the rest of Europe, but I think Putin burned that bridge down already anyway.

But what is more likely is that the Russians will back down from the whole affair and just settle for Crimea. Without major, and more blatant, external support the insurgents are doomed. So from the Russian point of view it is wiser to minimise the damage from a situation that might make another turn for the worse.

Then again we are taking about a government that thought that supporting a bunch of Russian ultra-nationalists in an attempt at doing a quick land grab of mainland Ukraine was a good idea.

Mister

Apr 4, 2014
There were 280 passengers on board and 15 Malaysian crew, says an airport official.

There were 154 Dutch passengers on board the plane, , 27 Australians, 23 Malaysians, 11 from Indonesia, six from the UK, four Germans, four Belgians, three from the Philippines and one Canadian. More nationalities have yet to be counted.

Hængebøffer

Jun 4, 2009
Some years back I said Metallica were my favourite band and i've not listened to them since i left uni, it's a strong argument you've got going for yourself there. I don't even know who you are?
Yes, you do.

Kent...Kent....Kent...Aberystwyth...Kent...travelled...Kent...Cardiff....Soon to be Paris - fuck the UK.
:D

radekas

( ͠° ͟ل͜ ͡°)
Aug 26, 2009
Unlikely that they will cut all contacts. Most probably though the Russian will find a way to provide "asylum" for them though, just to make sure that they don't spill the beans on Russian involvement throughout the whole conflict.

What is clear from now on though is that the Russian policy of ambiguous support for the insurgents is no longer sustainable; too much risk for next to nothing in return. If the Russians are to achieve any degree of success in maintaining instability in Eastern Ukraine, they would have to escalate their efforts one way or another. Won't go down well with the rest of Europe, but I think Putin burned that bridge down already anyway.

But what is more likely is that the Russians will back down from the whole affair and just settle for Crimea. Without major, and more blatant, external support the insurgents are doomed. So from the Russian point of view it is wiser to minimise the damage from a situation that might make another turn for the worse.

Then again we are taking about a government that thought that supporting a bunch of Russian ultra-nationalists in an attempt at doing a quick land grab of mainland Ukraine was a good idea.
Great post, I agree with everything.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Joe Biden also confirms.
Joe Biden is a rent-seeking piece of fecal matter, FYI.

So, what do you guys think it will happen?
Absolutely nothing. If the Russians had any hand in it at all, they will claim that they were rogue separatists that carried out the attack. If for some reason they are pressured at home to find somebody responsible, then will parade around a "rogue intelligence officer" not working under the orders of the Kremlin. There are plenty of ways to deflect the blame, Russia is not that stupid.

For the separatists, they will probably be more careful next time, otherwise the Russians will blow their heads off.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 15)