Juve's quest in the CL (1 Viewer)

Vinman

2013 Prediction Cup Champ
Jul 16, 2002
I was just watching a tape of highlights from last year, and couldnt help but think that this team was 100 percent better in ALL aspects of our play.

Our offense seemed more dangerous

Our midfield was calm and solid

Our defense was our backbone

Our goalkeeper was (and still is ) the best

With the personnel decisions (ex. no Davids), rotation system, injuries, etc. things arent going as planned this season

Now I will try to compare our team with other CL opponents-

Our offense is not as explosive as say Man U or Arsenal

Our midfield is not as solid as Real Madrid

Our defense is not close to comparable to Milan

Last season, we were better than the above teams in most departments. That is why this years CL will see Juve depart in a quick and painless way

Buy on AliExpress.com

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
Vin, in Juve's defense, you are taking the best aspects of each of those teams and trying to compare it to Juve.

Granted, Man U has more firepower, but would you trust Tim Howard or Buffon in a CL match?

Real has some of the best midfielders in the world, but their defense is worse than ours.

Milan has a great central pairing in Maldini and Nesta, but look what happens to their attack when Sheva or Inzaghi are out for a period of time. They don't have the depth up front like Juve does.

Obviously, our defense is not enough to take Juve over the top. But let's assume that they get those holes fixed. Is there any team that would be more complete than Juve??

Sep 28, 2002
factor of luck is much in important in the cl than it is in league.
look at bayer leverkusen. they had inferior squad to man utd and maybe even to liverpool but they were lucky and they reached the final. where they were quite unlucky to loose.

we have more chances of winning the cl than scudetto this year. and players' motivation is more for the champions cup.

Adrian

Jan 31, 2003
the only thing we are lacking is Montero of 4 years ago. We need a pacey defender in the mould of Montero.

we have a great keeper, world class full backs. two good centre backs in tudor and legrottaglie who would play great if they had that Montero mould with pace next to either of them.

Midfield is fine and once davids finds his form, it can only be better.

Offense is great. we didnt have Miccoli nor Di Vaio in form as he is now. Trez is at least playing this season.

we have more depth overall.

take RVN or Henry out of their respective teams and they might as well shut the gates because they will be nothing. Milan lack depth. what if Nesta and shevchenko get injured?? Real are all attack and nothing else.

i'm not saying that we are going to win the CL, but i dont think any team at the moment stands out from the rest. every team has weaknesses.

kaizer

Nov 1, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Adrian ] ++
take RVN or Henry out of their respective teams and they might as well shut the gates because they will be nothing. Milan lack depth. what if Nesta and shevchenko get injured?? Real are all attack and nothing else.

i'm not saying that we are going to win the CL, but i dont think any team at the moment stands out from the rest. every team has weaknesses .
finally....someone who speaks wisely :cool:

yes, every team has weakness, but our team weekness is under the microscope (@least here. i've not read any -ve commnet on other forums) coz we've been playing too well over the last 2 years or so. ups and downs is all part of life guys. all we need is a couple of defenders to strengten or D....we need not any new strikers yet. and, maybe a back-up for nedved. that's it.

having sed that, i do think we shud concentrate on CL more....altho winning scodetto wud ge gr8, but i want CL even more.

Hydde

Minimiliano Tristelli
Mar 6, 2003
Agree with all the comments above.

The only thing that is making our team not better in the deffence.... thats all.

WE dont need to do a drama because of this.

Trezeguet_FC

Mar 26, 2003
no but vin has a point here people. last year we were playing some good football. we thrashed inter, we demolished real and our team was solid and compact. this year we are not lacking players, we are lacking team unity or cooperation. our players dont have a good understanding, and are making constant mistakes. mistakes that we didnt make llast season. IMO its all becuase of the rotation system. finally lippi realized the drastic effects of the rotation system on the team overall.

Aug 1, 2003
our problem mainly lies in our defense. our midfield and offense is still solid.

vin does have a point but I'll just say one thing- have faith :) if this year we're meant to win some trophies, we will. if not, maybe next season.

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
++ [ originally posted by PersianMafia ] ++
no but vin has a point here people. last year we were playing some good football. we thrashed inter, we demolished real and our team was solid and compact. this year we are not lacking players, we are lacking team unity or cooperation. our players dont have a good understanding, and are making constant mistakes. mistakes that we didnt make llast season. IMO its all becuase of the rotation system. finally lippi realized the drastic effects of the rotation system on the team overall.
We had the same problems last year in winter, but we improved towards the end. We beat Real in May, not December. Who says we wont do it again?

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
All of the top teams in the CL, Juve included of course, have their strengths and weaknesses. Real have what I consider to be the most explosive attack in the world, backed by a star studded midfield, but their defence is poor. Milan's defence on the other hand, can be like a bunker at times, and their midfield is very solid, but if they lose Nesta to injury or suspension, all of a sudden they leak goals. When Man Utd and Arsenal are at their best, or near to it, they score goals for fun, but take RVN and Henry away from them and see how different things become. I also think that it's fair to say that only Chelsea can boast the attacking depth that we have. When Real lose Raul and/or Ronaldo, they have Portillo and Guti, when United lose RVN, they have Forlan and Solksjaer, when Arsenal lose Henry, they have Bergkamp and Kanu, when Milan lose Shevchenko and/or Inzaghi, they have Jon Dahl Tomasson and Borriello, etc etc. Juve on the other hand, can comfortably do without Del Piero or Trezeguet.

If we go to work during the January transfer market and get a defender or two, I honestly believe that we can win the Champions League this season. Hopefully Lippi and the players have the same state of mind. Forza Juve!

Zizou

Apr 21, 2003
Agree with Zlatan. We have 3 more points than last season, we had just lost 2 successive matches, 6 points away from Milan.

Offensively we are MUCH better than last season and stats prove that.

Stats also prove that our defence is not so solid. Legro has not proved his worth and the best performances have come from the old rear guard.

I think midfield is both better and worse. Better cos we have more depth and different solutions now (in form, Maresca and Appiah are great) and worse because of the Davids thing.

Fact is Juve is overall a better team this season, with more depth and right now we are just passing through our black December. Last year in January we won all games + we really picked form in early February as we drew away against Atalanta 1-1 and from there we won something like 7 league matches in a row.

Zizou

Apr 21, 2003
Yes Stuart has made a good point too...RM, Milan, MU, Arse, etc all have exceptional forwards, but take their main marksman away and who do they have as reserves? Average or just good players at most. In this we are better, and in the whole arc of a season, depth is very important for the final outcome and should not be underestimated at all.

As Stu said, I really can't see how far Arse, MU, etc can go without the goals of their main strikers RvN, Henry, Sheva, etc.......

Trezeguet_FC

Mar 26, 2003
Honestly, real have ronaldo and raul
milan have inzaghi and shev
manu , arsenal, inter you know what they have
juve have dp and trez (from an outsider view, just like ours to RM or MIlan, they dont know about di vaio or miccoli)

they all have their top strikers just like juve. but when people here say our attack has more options thats BullShit. A RM fan only knows the trez and dp of juve. he has no idea that miccoli, di vaio or any of these guys exist. if you ask a RM fan, hell say: "think about it, what would juve be without nedved or del piero" Obvisously we all right now have the juve glasses on, and are looking at matters from our point of view. i believe in juve very much, but when people say we have better subs and attacking options than other teams, thats over exxageration. just look at inters full attacking squad.... and thats one example. however, im not saying juve suck, i love juve and their squad i think is perfect, bar acouple of defenders and one play maker. but dont come here and say juve have better attacking options than other teams. becuase just like how you guys say milan suck without sheva, or arsenal suck without henry, other fans say juve suck without dp or nedved....

just bringing this point in. because a lot of naive comments are being made lately...

survivor

Dec 29, 2002
Don't talk about RM, ManU. or Arsenal...
To be honest, after having watched the last couple of juve matches, I don't see how we can pass Deportivo.:down:

Aug 1, 2003
december is just a bad phase. that's all there is to it. I'm almost certain after the winter break a whole new Juve will come through and snatch the scudetto and hopefully CL :D

our squad is very in depth, i believe it really is (not so sure bout defense though) and I just think that if Lippi play Davids more it would somehow salvage our situation

OP
Vinman

Vinman

2013 Prediction Cup Champ
Jul 16, 2002
  • Thread Starter #17
    I'm not saying that no other teams have weaknesses, but our defense HAS become our weakness. If we and Milan proved 1 thing in last years CL, its that a solid defense and midfield win you the trophy.

Our midfield is not as solid as last year, no question about it. The games we have lost this year clearly illustrates that.

@Glenn- throw your stats out the window !!!! Stats dont win us games. How about our goals against stats ???? If your so concerned about stats, look at that one. It'll jump out at you !!!!!!

and on paper, Tudor and Legro should be superstars, but their NOT !!!!!

Aug 1, 2003
    well they are in CM.
    but I just think that Lippi should give Davids more games to play in. It would be a wonderful addition to our midfield.

Plus I'd love to see Tudor play more, his height is a gift and I think he would be really capable if he's given more chances.

Zizou

Apr 21, 2003
    He would be given more chances if his muscles hold, but alas we all know their state :)

Vin well statistically, we conceded 3 more goals than last season and score 11 more so we're overall better :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)