Juventus refuse to play in Istanbul!!! (1 Viewer)

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
Lippi urges Galatasaray rethink
Friday 21 November, 2003

Marcello Lippi claims Juventus have no intention of travelling to Istanbul for their delayed match with Galatasaray among safety fears.

“It is not a question of fear,” assured the Bianconeri boss, “but rather one of logic. You cannot play a football match in a city people are running away from.”

The Turkish city has been rocked by a series of bomb attacks over the last few days and UEFA have postponed Tuesday’s planned encounter until December 2.

However, the Italian club insists it will only face Galatasaray for the Champions’ League on neutral ground.

“I think that UEFA are moving in that direction,” added Lippi, “and it could be no other way. There are people out there who have no qualms about walking into a Stadium with a bomb in their pocket.”

Meanwhile, Juve are preparing for Saturday’s Serie A trip to Modena, one of the surprise high-flyers of the season.

“Alberto Malesani’s team is very tough and already did well last year. The Coach is talented and he has some real quality at his disposal.”

One of the Canarini’s stars, Diomansy Kamara, has been heavily linked with a January switch to Turin.

As for Juve, Alessandro Del Piero will again start as he tries to recover full match fitness following two months on the sidelines, but this may mean leaving on form Marco Di Vaio and Fabrizio Miccoli on the bench.

“Whoever does not start against Modena will certainly be in the first team for the Coppa Italia,” assured Lippi.

Their Coppa clash with Siena has been brought forward to November 25 due to that rescheduled Champions’ League match with Galatasaray

Football Italia

I agree completely, if UEFA doesnt agree to hold the game at a neutral ground than Juve should just forfit it, and lose 3-0, we're through anyways.

Buy on AliExpress.com
OP

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
  • Thread Starter #3
    WHy cant we fabi? If we want to be champions we're gong to have to beat the best teams anyways, so it doesnt matter who we get in the next round.

Sep 28, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by GOAT ] ++
    WHy cant we fabi? If we want to be champions we're gong to have to beat the best teams anyways, so it doesnt matter who we get in the next round.
    but it is easier to beat weaker opponents first, while others are fighting real and man u

OP

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
  • Thread Starter #5
    Yeah, but we're going to have to play them anyways, so IMO it's not sucha big difference. I dont fear anyone

Adrian

Jan 31, 2003
    if i was a player, i wouldnt want to travel near turkey.

play it in Melbourne Australia..at least i can finally see Juve live from the stands for the first time in my life:D

gray

Apr 22, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by GOAT ] ++
    Milan are the European champions... :rolleyes:

++ [ originally posted by Adrian ] ++
    if i was a player, i wouldnt want to travel near turkey.

play it in Melbourne Australia..at least i can finally see Juve live from the stands for the first time in my life:D
    As if! Sydney's Olympic Stadium is so much better than the MCG. I've never understood why they don't play games like the WC qualifier against Uruguay in Sydney :groan:

If they did play in Melbourne though, I'd crawl on my hands and knees if i needed to! :D

If I was a Juve player, I wouldn't step near Turkey. The event is way too public, and it's a perfect terrorist target. Talk about a way to make a statement...

Aug 27, 2003
    who would want to go in turkey at this time...
    esp. when a stdium is a very crowded place ...
    they could bomb once again..players will feel uneasy...
    i bet u when they first hear this one the news (the juve players)
    they went....NOOOOOOOO our match.....

See juventus has the will to beat any team, now see they beat barcelona and real, they know they have to try their best to beat those guys..so i think thye will keep that in mind and play their best..

Gandalf

Jul 28, 2003
    It's better to be played on neutral ground.. then, we don't have to worry if our players could comeback home or not..

things in turkey went mad and uncontrollable.. these terrorist attacks are crazy.. what they are trying to approve will never excuse their acts..

gray

Apr 22, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by Paranoia ] ++
    we could always play behind closed doors:rolleyes:
    Closed doors or not, there's still a very real thread to the players. The only reason they ever play behind closed doors is to stop crowd trouble.

Majed

Jul 17, 2002
    First the Juve-Milan in Riyadh was cancelled, now an Official CL game is postponed...this really sucks...

Anyhow, Safty first...I agree with moving to a central ground....

cynical

Mar 7, 2003
    I don't know if anyone has mentioned this before, but isn't this the second time our game in istanbul postponed. remember 98/99 season i don't recall why but it has been postponed for a week. oh well

Dragon

Apr 24, 2003
    UEFA is going to change the game M. Haifa - Valencia to either Switzerland or Cyprus so I guess they're gonna change this one too

Aug 27, 2003
    All matches to do with the isreals are always played in various parts of europe since they cnat play in their ground!
    most of the time its in switzerland...sometimes in italy..(the national matches though..)

-yes i think the main reason they postponed this match is to think about where to palce the match (hopefully) this is to risky-
    even the trukish players woulndt feel safe!

JuveCampione

Sep 21, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by «ƒÕ®zå JüV€» ] ++
    All matches to do with the isreals are always played in various parts of europe since they cnat play in their ground!
    most of the time its in switzerland...sometimes in italy..(the national matches though..)
    no, Israeli teams never played in switzerland, and the national team played only two games in Italy, in Palermo. it's Cyprus and Turkey most of the time.

Layce Erayce

Aug 11, 2002
    well if special buildings were built for the sole purpose of blowing up/driving explosive-carrying vehicles into then the terrorists could go blow those special buildings up and leave everybody else alone.

Dragon

Apr 24, 2003
    Thats just plain stupid because why would they want to blow up something that was MADE to blow up? the purpose of terrorists is to scare people by doing things theyve never imagined at place/time they never imagined

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)