Juventus Next Gen (23 Viewers)

Scottish

Zebrastreifenpferd
Mar 13, 2011
I understand critiques, but not this.

You do release most other leagues have reserve teams that are U23? This is not new concept. Except other leagues like EPL and most European league has their reserve teams face only other reserve teams (exception in la liga), where their reserve teams are officially part of the league hierarchy).

Our version U23 is more fruitful, part of the league hierarchy like in La Liga. Meaning they play against senior teams and get serious experience playing against hard hitting adults, instead of youth players their age.
A reserve team is useful for giving first team players semi-competitive game time when coming back from injury, or for first team rejects to prove themselves to a manager. There isn't a reserve league system in Italy, so this is our solution.

Except its in Serie C for gods sake. @DutchJuventino has pointed out similar things in other countries but those are in the 2nd tier.

My point @Osman is that these are already adult players. Without looking them up I doubt any of us could name more than 1 of them. And you'll never hear their names because they're not anywhere close to good enough to play for this team. If they were good enough they would have shown enough by now to be in the first team plans, and/or would be getting loaned by Serie A teams. What's the deal with Fagioli, Mirretti and Rovella? If our under 23 was full of talent like that it'd be running up cricket scores in Serie C. If players on our books are midtable at such a poor level at age 21 (and just consider for a second how low a level that is) they are not worth a wage for us. No hard feelings to any of them, but they didn't make it.

Buy on AliExpress.com

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013
Oh shit I didn't realise it was an official name change :lol: :lol:

https://www.juventus.com/en/news/articles/from-under-23-to-next-gen-a-new-identity-at-juventus

"A new identity" continues to mean "We're doing everything in English now"

And I refer to my earlier point - under 23 is not 'next gen'. Everywhere else in football it's current gen. Primavera (soon to be rebranded as 'Spring Chickens') is the next generation. This is a team of 21 year olds failing to win Serie C. Last year they were 8th, and got to the last 16 of the Serie C Coppa Italia. Gigantic waste of money.
The purpose is fine, if you have a great talent like Miretti, you would rather play him in Serie C than in primavera competitions. It's starting to show results actually

Scottish

Zebrastreifenpferd
Mar 13, 2011
The purpose is fine, if you have a great talent like Miretti, you would rather play him in Serie C than in primavera competitions. It's starting to show results actually
Maybe im not wording it well, but I'm saying talents like Mirretti should be playing in Serie A not Serie C. If not for Juve then on loan at a SPAL or a Cessena. Maybe one of the better Serie B teams. If your players outgrow the primavera and do end up in Serie C, but only finish midtable then they probably aren't worth keeping at the club anyway.

Last edited:

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013
Maybe im not wording it well, but I'm saying talents like Mirretti should be playing in Serie A not Serie C. If not for Juve then on loan at SPAL or Cessena. Maybe one of the better Serie B teams. If your players outgrow the primavera and do end up in Serie C, but only finish midtable then they probably aren't worth keeping at the club anyway.
Well he is playing there kinda now. He just turned 19, he has a full season of play behind him at Serie C senior level football. It's rare to see kids at the age of 18 play regularly in Serie B or A, especially at top clubs, and who guarantees he will be used regularly if he is loaned somewhere? And if he was on loan, he wouldn't get the chances he got at the first team last year either. I think this system benefited him particularly quite well, now let's see how it does to future talents.

Then you have to consider that a team is not built from top talents entirely, and I'd rather fill the bench with kids that come through our ranks than overpaid McKennies and Rabiots tbh. We sign Gatti from Serie B, we keep Rugani for ages, De Sciglio gets an extension, guys like Sturaro, Berna, Zaza were paid millions for to be depth. If you can get 3 such players from the U23 in half a decade then that is also useful

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005
Well he is playing there kinda now. He just turned 19, he has a full season of play behind him at Serie C senior level football. It's rare to see kids at the age of 18 play regularly in Serie B or A, especially at top clubs, and who guarantees he will be used regularly if he is loaned somewhere? And if he was on loan, he wouldn't get the chances he got at the first team last year either. I think this system benefited him particularly quite well, now let's see how it does to future talents.

Then you have to consider that a team is not built from top talents entirely, and I'd rather fill the bench with kids that come through our ranks than overpaid McKennies and Rabiots tbh. We sign Gatti from Serie B, we keep Rugani for ages, De Sciglio gets an extension, guys like Sturaro, Berna, Zaza were paid millions for to be depth. If you can get 3 such players from the U23 in half a decade then that is also useful
One of my biggest beefs with the loan system.

Jun 16, 2020
Maybe im not wording it well, but I'm saying talents like Mirretti should be playing in Serie A not Serie C. If not for Juve then on loan at a SPAL or a Cessena. Maybe one of the better Serie B teams. If your players outgrow the primavera and do end up in Serie C, but only finish midtable then they probably aren't worth keeping at the club anyway.
Talents like Miretti were 17 when he played against 30 y/o in Serie C while other guys of his age were still playing in Primavera 1. Its really is a great effort the club did and one of the few things I’m positive about after following it for several years. Our scouting seems very good.

The name is cringe indeed.

If you look to players like Miretti, Fagioli, Soule etc they really had a interesting year in Serie C. Playing whenever they could there but training with the seniors and meanwhile playing the Youth League for U19 and of course with the youth teams of Italy. That’s a lot compared to talents at other clubs. Previously we had to loan them out and hope for the best while now they have the chance to prove themself at a professional level.

Last edited:

DanielSz

Sep 6, 2014
first game is this week, here's how I rate my top 5 players. Im only including players ive watched, so none of the new arrivals from other clubs.

1. Barrenechea- DM type but actually has technique; thought he was the best player with the primavera before his injury.
2. Muharemovic- Left footed CB, I haven't watched him specifically as much as others, but hes gotten a lot of hype. I think hes injured right now though
3. Iling Jr- I think he would be most interesting as a wingback. I could see him break through to the first team this year
4. Mulazzi- fits the prototype of the modern fullback, another player I could see break through, based almost purely on the lack of depth on the right flank
5. Turicchia- super productive for a FB, but I haven't watched him as much. Intrigue is based on who's in front of him lol.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
Oh shit I didn't realise it was an official name change :lol: :lol:

https://www.juventus.com/en/news/articles/from-under-23-to-next-gen-a-new-identity-at-juventus

"A new identity" continues to mean "We're doing everything in English now"

And I refer to my earlier point - under 23 is not 'next gen'. Everywhere else in football it's current gen. Primavera (soon to be rebranded as 'Spring Chickens') is the next generation. This is a team of 21 year olds failing to win Serie C. Last year they were 8th, and got to the last 16 of the Serie C Coppa Italia. Gigantic waste of money.
They won the Coppa Italia Serie C in their second season of existence.

What is it you expect of this team, that they win Serie B every season? It's about making the odd player good enough for the first team and the rest generate money for the club and have careers elsewhere. We've already seen several players get minutes who have progressed from this team. There has been clear progress from the youth teams to B in the past few years.

You should also have a look and see what divisions the B teams from Bayern, Barcelona, Real Madrid and so on play in.

Jun 16, 2020
Today at 17:30 the first match against Trento. That’s diner time here so hopefully I’m able to watch the match somewhere.

- - - Updated - - -

Btw Felix and Rafia are back with the U23

Last edited:

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
Today at 17:30 the first match against Trento. That’s diner time here so hopefully I’m able to watch the match somewhere.

- - - Updated - - -

Btw Felix and Rafia are back with the U23
Felix Correia has a serious shoulder injury so will stay with us and then most likely go on loan in January, I don't think he's considered part of this team anymore.

Rafia is another I don't think will feature again, expect him to go on loan to a team where the window is still open. Daouda Peeters is another one I expect this to happen with (probably to Belgian team).

BTW I've updated the first page with the squad.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 23)