Juventus and Manchester United, following same paths. (1 Viewer)

Sep 14, 2003
This is an interesting read, from The Gaurdian, with a referance to both managers.

With Juve dropping out of the title race, Marcello Lippi is glancing furtively towards the exit signs as the Italian media talk of crumbling empires. James Richardson is reminded of things back home

When I was a young man and learning to be a manager, I didn't have much money. So I signed up for the class where they taught you how to finish top five years out of eight. Had I been richer of course, I'd have taken the one where they explain how to win every year without fail..."
Which, accompanied by a trademark withering look, was how Marcello Lippi responded last week to critics gaily daubing 'end of an era' all over his Juventus, after his team bowed out of both Europe and the title race in the space of just five days.

Lippi, let us not forget, is the man that last summer won a second straight Italian title, not to mention the evil tyrant that denied Roberto Baggio the use of spices in his salad preparation, when the pair were at Inter. And that's a true story.

He's also a top chum of popular Manchester coaching type Sir Alex Ferguson, which is nice, as they can now watch their twin empires sink slowly into the west together.

Last Sunday night against Milan, Lippi and Juve had their final shot at staying in the title race. Despite an injury list that included Trezeguet, Del Piero, Miccoli and Zambrotta, and despite a nervous looking Marco di Vaio being their only fit forward, the reigning champions threw themselves at Milan for the first 20 minutes.

All the old spirit was there, as Nedved, Camoranesi and Tacchinardi again and again came close to an opening goal. It never came though, and after observing from a respectful distance for the first 24 minutes, Milan then decided to get on with life. Bosh! Clarence Seedorf dropped the next ball on the head of Andriy Shevchenko, who duly nodded home for one-nil.

Pippo Inzaghi, bless him, blew the clearest of chances for the second just after halftime, but more Milan goals weren't long in coming - nine minutes later, a Seedorf shot from the edge of the area spun off a Juve defender and went in, after which Seedorf struck again, this time coolly slotting the ball past Gigi Buffon. After Ciro Ferrara's late consolation goal it finished 3-1.

To be fair, anyone can lose to Milan these days - particularly anyone with an injury list as long as La Signora's - and as Lippi himself points out, you can't be top every year. Still, Juve are now out of everything but the Italian Cup, and with Monday's press reaction as merciless as an ungrateful Frenchman, Lippi has begun sniffing the winds of change above the fumes of his habitual havana. Never one to outstay his welcome, he's hinted that he'll be moving on from Turin come the summer, quite possibly to take over from Trapattoni at the national team. Perhaps Sir Alex might enjoy a similar move?

James Richardson.

http://football.guardian.co.uk/continental/story/0,8018,1170430,00.html

arc

Mar 11, 2004
thought lippi isnt leavin ...
anyway, who are the international rival of juventus?

man utd? real madrid?

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Holdon ] ++
He's also a top chum of popular Manchester coaching type Sir Alex Ferguson, which is nice, as they can now watch their twin empires sink slowly into the west together.
:howler: Great line.

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
Good points, Timers. I was thinking the same thing while watching Man City hammer United 4-1.

We're both going to lose our league titles, we're both out of the CL, and we both need defensive reinforcements.

I wonder how next season will pan out for these two massive clubs.

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
I'm sure Fergie will still be there to rebuild and push Arsenal far harder next year. I'm also sure that Lippi can do the same in Italy if he stays. Except Arsenal don't play in Italy. ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)