Juve stand firm over sales (1 Viewer)

Byrone

Peen Meister
Dec 19, 2005
Juventus insist they will not be forced into selling their star names, despite the club's relegation to Serie B.

The Old Lady have been demoted, and must also start next season with a 30-point penalty, for their role in the Italian match-fixing scandal.

The punishment, which will be appealed, means Juventus will face an uphill battle to claim an immediate return to the top flight.

Several players have been tipped to leave the Stadio Delle Alpi as a result of the verdict, with Fabio Cannavaro wanted by Real Madrid and Chelsea.

Patrick Vieira is reportedly a target for Internazionale and Manchester United, while French team-mate David Trezeguet is being chased by Lyon.

Veteran defender Lilian Thuram is being tracked by North London duo Arsenal and Tottenham Hotspur, along with Barcelona, whose Spanish rivals Real want Gianluca Zambrotta and Emerson.

But, while accepting it will be hard to persuade key players to stay in Turin, Juve president Giovanni Cobolli Gilli will not freely sanction a fire sale.

"I have hopes that some of our most important players will stay," affirmed Cobolli Gilli.

"We have just seen eight of our players playing in a World Cup final.

"Now it's clear, a big part of them will have big problems in staying with us in Serie B with a 30-point deduction, even if I don't want to think that, at the end, the penalty will be so.

"This verdict forbids the best players in the world from continuing playing in a competitive league, with the serious risk they could go abroad."

Fabio Capello quit as Juventus coach last week to take over at Real Madrid, but Cobolli Gilli is adamant the former boss will not easily be reunited with his old players.

He added: "Capello left us immediately before this verdict.

"Anyway, it's clear that we won't sell off our players, they will leave with adequate prices.

"Who wants them must pay because we have the duty to defend the club's heritage. Should Real Madrid want our players, they will have to pay."

Skysports

Buy on AliExpress.com
OP
Byrone

Byrone

Peen Meister
Dec 19, 2005
  • Thread Starter #3
    Dominic said:
    I'll reply, otherwise you'll feel bad :D.

That article writes Cobolli Gilli, isn't it Cobolli Gigli ?
    Thx Dominic,i was just about to hang myself.:D yeah it is & i did a copy/paste job there so the typo aint my fault.

zizoufan

Z.Z T h e M a s t e r
    May 25, 2004
    Dominic said:
    I'll reply, otherwise you'll feel bad :D.

That article writes Cobolli Gilli, isn't it Cobolli Gigli ?
    Yep right
    Gigli and not Gilli ! Anyway, I don't know if this is just a calderon-promising-bringing-kaka pledge or he's willing to keep some stars ! at least italian ones

danielão

Jul 12, 2002
    They won't have a choice but to sell. The money there going to lose from no CL for two seasons, plus the loss of TV money for being in Serie B will cripple them if they don't sell.

sateeh

Day Walker
    Jul 28, 2003
    hes talking abt the prices of the player, not the fact that they r going to get sold or not.The only thing we could control is the selling price.Thats the main thing we should focus on, they think they will pay a little sum of money for the players....good to see the president setting the record straight

Dominic

Jan 30, 2004
    Cobolli Gigli: “An unjustified punishment”

“Having read the reasoning behind the sentence, our opinion, and the opinion of our lawyer, is that a punishment of this nature is unjustified.” The President of Juventus, Giovanni Cobolli Gigli, returned to the sentence passed by the CAF during the season’s opening press conference: “The reasoning behind the sentence refers almost entirely to Article 1, not Article 6, and an accumulation of venal sins can in no way amount to a mortal sin. Our lawyer will have valid arguments to put forward in the second phase of legal proceedings and I expect the situation to improve. We should have every right to remain in Serie A and if we’re in Serie B, we’re in Serie B and that’s the end of it”. The President then turned to the court’s decision to withhold the award of the last scudetto: “It’s unthinkable that they should withhold the 2005/06 scudetto, as last season had nothing to do with the inquiry. We won the titles thanks to our performances on the pitch, it’s a serious blow from a moral point of view”. His final thought was for the fans: “They want to know they’re being taken care of and it is important they know that, having waited patiently for the sentence, the club will react. Blanc and I expressed our dissatisfaction and they appreciated that. I met the fans at the march on July the 1st and I could feel their affection, the same affection I hope we will hear from fans all over Italy, even if we end up in Serie
    I'm liking this Gigli. I'm liking the direction the club is taking. From Gigli to Secco to Deschamps, we're definately on the right route.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)