Juan Cuadrado (61 Viewers)

Cuads legacy

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Stevie

Mar 30, 2003
I dont know what to think of him he is prone to making alot of mistakes yet is capable turning a game on its head at any moment he is wrecklace and wild which gives defences an awful head ache he is so un predictable i like a player like this in our team. Kinda like Giacherini only on a higher level.

TheTruth

Aug 24, 2015
Still agreeing to disagree, here. :D

He put in a decent shift today, though. Definitely a solid effort.
That's perfectly fine Sir :D

But I think his performance yesterday strengthened the case for him to stay. I will say this though, Licht clearly had an off day against Roma. But on his day, he makes up for his offensive limits with really intelligent positioning. That's why he's scored the goals he has. Cuadrado can learn from that, and the end product has to improve. But the pace, dribbling and unpredictability of the player is both very entertaining to watch as a fan and helps this team against opponents who sit back and we struggle to break down. On top of that he's been decent defensively.

LiquidPLP

Jun 9, 2012

But I think his performance yesterday strengthened the case for him to stay. I will say this though, Licht clearly had an off day against Roma. But on his day, he makes up for his offensive limits with really intelligent positioning. That's why he's scored the goals he has. Cuadrado can learn from that, and the end product has to improve. But the pace, dribbling and unpredictability of the player is both very entertaining to watch as a fan and helps this team against opponents who sit back and we struggle to break down. On top of that he's been decent defensively.
His presence also made Digne stay deeper and move Nainggolan more to the left, Roma were afraid of Cuadrado's presence on the right. Good impact from him, very useful player.

Hydde

Minimiliano Tristelli
Mar 6, 2003
If we can lower his price to 15 or even 10, it will be good to go.

20 for a luxury impact sub is kind of hard to swallow. But it will depend on how many top purchses we will d.

In forward department we are stacked, or fine at the very least.
In midfield we are definitely stacked, just missing a true AM in the lines of Pereyra but better if we can.

The defense in a little worrysome. Evra, Licht and Barzagli are getting pretty old. We need to patch that asap.

Nzoric

Grazie Mirko
Jan 16, 2011
If we can lower his price to 15 or even 10, it will be good to go.

20 for a luxury impact sub is kind of hard to swallow. But it will depend on how many top purchses we will d.

In forward department we are stacked, or fine at the very least.
In midfield we are definitely stacked, just missing a true AM in the lines of Pereyra but better if we can.

The defense in a little worrysome. Evra, Licht and Barzagli are getting pretty old. We need to patch that asap.
Its not a luxory. Its the only alternative we have to an ageing licht at the moment and considering his qualities 20m is a bargain on a batshit crazy market.

Hydde

Minimiliano Tristelli
Mar 6, 2003
Its not a luxory. Its the only alternative we have to an ageing licht at the moment and considering his qualities 20m is a bargain on a bat$#@! crazy market.
But he cant defend like licht, and he is not prolific enought going forward.

Yeah, he can come in a do a couple of dribbles... but in this 352 he will never be a serious contender for the starting spot.

He was tried at the beggining of the season and he didnt delivered. We will not base our gameplay on him.

Like someone said, we need another sandro like player.

Nzoric

Grazie Mirko
Jan 16, 2011
But he cant defend like licht, and he is not prolific enought going forward.

Yeah, he can come in a do a couple of dribbles... but in this 352 he will never be a serious contender for the starting spot.

He was tried at the beggining of the season and he didnt delivered. We will not base our gameplay on him.

Like someone said, we need another sandro like player.
He is not the complete package but I disagree with your assesment, no one delivered early in the season and we know what he is capable of. 20m for his qualities is not much, especially considering we dont have an alternative for rwb. Cuadrado gives us tactical flexibility too as he can play anywhere on the right side, something we need if we are to adapt to stronger teams in the chl.

Hydde

Minimiliano Tristelli
Mar 6, 2003
Im perfectly fine with with his impact role, dont get me wrong. He is different from Licht in a lot of ways. And is different from caceres who is another defensive player.

If they lower those 20 mins i would not mind.

Nenz

Apr 17, 2008
Someone who can come on in the latter stages of a dead locked match and beat tired players. Yes, we need a player like Cuadrado. But Cuadrado for 20M ain't it. Would be better to have a someone in the same mould who can make an assist or score a goal. As much as I'm barracking for him, Cuadrado is an almost guy.

Rollie

Apr 15, 2008

I saw more of what I've previously seen from Cuadrado. :D As I said, I do think he's a good player. The point is not that we don't need that creative element as part of our attack, another player who can possess the ball, run at defenders, and has some unpredictability to their game. We clearly do, and potentially 2-3 of them (SS, AM, and maybe even a decently offensive RWB -- although with Licht getting older, I would want a player who's comfortable at RB, too).

The point is that I would spend the money on somebody who was more suitable for our tactics, and, like we've been talking about, has more end product to their game.

Cuadrado isn't some amazing force at breaking down 'the parked bus', either. That's not exactly what Fiorentina were typically up against, and a team doesn't do that by simply running at 10 defenders behind the ball, either (which I'm sure you know). It does help to drag defenders out of position, and keep them on their heels, but intelligent movement and good passing are pretty darn important to the process, too.

Where would you field him in a 4-3-1-2, as you mentioned before? As the TQ?

Anyway, I don't want to seem excessively critical of Cuadrado, because, like I said, he's a good player, good teammate, and I like the guy's attitude. It's not like I would be 'put out' to see him stay, but for the purpose of conversation, I think Beppe and co. could spend the money more wisely.

His presence also made Digne stay deeper and move Nainggolan more to the left, Roma were afraid of Cuadrado's presence on the right. Good impact from him, very useful player.
Let's be very clear, though, Digne didn't do a damn thing offensively, at any point of the match. :p Right? Roma were relatively toothless in attack yesterday, 1 long shot on target. Nainggolan playing TQ was also quite limited, he and Pjanic definitely should have had different roles.

Its not a luxory. Its the only alternative we have to an ageing licht at the moment and considering his qualities 20m is a bargain on a batshit crazy market.
Caceres is not an option for you? :D

Looking at next year, I think we can do better. 20M, plus a 4 or 5 year contract at his current rate (3M net, 6ish gross) is not some huge bargain.

Spending between 40-50M on Juan Cuadrado, to offer limited production while occasionally playing RWB, is not the move I would make.

I think Beppe and Paratici can find a better player for our particular needs, operating in that type of price range.

Vlad

In Allegri We Trust
May 23, 2011
Caceres is more suited for the RCB role in 3 men defense. I hope we never consider him for the future RB/WB spot, as he's plain mediocre there.

Rollie

Apr 15, 2008
No, Caceres really isnt an option for me :D. Id be surprised if anyone was easy at the thought of him taking over after licht.
No, certainly not as the primary RWB, definitely not. :D

That's not what I meant, though, I just meant that he's technically another option there, as he's played in that role a decent amount.

Not for the long term. In the scenario I was talking about above (not purchasing Cuads), Licht would be rotating with a new, incoming player.

Beppe was talking about Martin being an important part of the squad the other day (in group context, though, while also discussing two much more important players, Evra, Barza, so grain of salt). While I thought he was gone before, I wouldn't be shocked to see him renew at this point.

Caceres is more suited for the RCB role in 3 men defense. I hope we never consider him for the future RB/WB spot, as he's plain mediocre there.
We certainly won't consider him as the 'future' RB/RWB, he is simply an option there (dat depth).

Martin is quite a good utility player, that's why I wouldn't be surprised to see him re-sign. He can do a job at RWB, RB, RCB, CB, and even LB (I've seen him be very serviceable there multiple times for Uruguay). Nice for the manager to have a guy like that in the reserves, in case of an injury crisis.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 34)