John Charles Has Foot Amputated (1 Viewer)

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
MILAN, Italy (Reuters) -- Former Wales and Juventus striker John Charles has had his right foot amputated due to serious blood circulation problems, the Italian daily Tuttosport reports.

The paper said Charles, 72, who underwent an emergency heart operation on January 6, was operated on at Milan's San Carlo hospital.

The operation took place on Monday and the paper said Charles' condition was "unstable."

Staff at San Carlo hospital were unable to comment.

A British Sunday newspaper said Charles was expected to be flown to a hospital near his home in Yorkshire this week.

Charles, who won three Italian titles with Juve after making his name with Leeds United, fell ill before a scheduled appearance on Italian TV programme Sports Sunday on January 4.

The Welshman, dubbed the 'Gentle Giant' by Italian fans, spent five seasons at Juventus after arriving in 1957, scoring 93 goals in 155 league appearances.

Charles, who was born in Cwmdu near Swansea in south Wales, won 38 caps for his country and played for them in the 1958 World Cup finals in Sweden.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Layce Erayce

Aug 11, 2002
A number of questions.

1. Cwmdu? How does one say that?

2. Why oh why?

3. If its just his foot why is his condition unstable?

4. Wasnt Tudor also referred to as the gentle giant?

5. Why Milan?

Its not good news obviously, but its kinda expected at that age- when you have all sorts of problems.

OP
mikhail

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
  • Thread Starter #3
    ++ [ originally posted by [LAC] ] ++
    1. Cwmdu? How does one say that?

2. Why oh why?

3. If its just his foot why is his condition unstable?

4. Wasnt Tudor also referred to as the gentle giant?

5. Why Milan?

Its not good news obviously, but its kinda expected at that age- when you have all sorts of problems.
    1. Welsh is strictly a written language. Any attempt to pronounce it is doomed to failure, as it was designed to confuse early English spies.

2. Delilah?

3. They accidently threw the wrong part away.

4. I've never heard Tudor referred to as anything other than "injury-prone".

5. PM's from there - they'll have the best doctors.
    ;)

It's unfortunate, and I'm sure the best wishes of all Juve, Leeds and Wales fans will go out to Charles.

Respaul

Jul 14, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by mikhail ] ++

1. Welsh is strictly a written language. Any attempt to pronounce it is doomed to failure, as it was designed to confuse early English spies.

3. They accidently threw the wrong part away.

4. I've never heard Tudor referred to as anything other than "injury-prone".

5. PM's from there - they'll have the best doctors.
    ;)

It's unfortunate, and I'm sure the best wishes of all Juve, Leeds and Wales fans will go out to Charles.
    1. What are you on about... welsh is a very easy langauge to talk... its reading thats hard

3.His condition is unstable as hes jus had heart surgery and this has caused major circulation problems... which is why he had part of his foot removed

5. Milan.. cause he was there for a tv appearance when he had a heart attack... been in a milan hospital ever since

Respaul

Jul 14, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by [LAC] ] ++
    got it.

except the connection between the heart and the feet but your no doctor....
    His heart condition caused a circulation problem... His foot has been starved of blood and went gangrenous... so needing amputaion

Layce Erayce

Aug 11, 2002
    i dont get the actual mechanics of it- i dont think the heart itself can control where the blood flows and where it doesnt, i thought its the blood vessels themselves that are at fault.

so maybe its just semantics...right?

Jul 28, 2002
    john charles..... a legend , and example to all.....shame he played for roma as well :groan:

still one of the best ever.

Pete

Nov 23, 2003
    Listen to yous - dispicable.
    This man in his time was like a Del Piero of today, in 50 years or so, one of today's stars may be put in a critical condition or may sadly pass away; then we'll have the same sort of inconsiderate crap going on from the fans of their time...rest in peace, John Charles.

IceBlu

Aug 26, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by mikhail ] ++
    Yeah, but he's got one foot in the grave....

...I'll get my coat. :)

good god man.... thats morbid.... which is why its funny !

i was going to add a smilie but i don't think posting a funny smilie here is appropriate.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)