Jürgen Klinsmann to be named United States Head Coach (Apparently) (1 Viewer)

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
German legend to lead U.S. Soccer

Jürgen Klinsmann will be named head coach of the U.S. men's national team within two weeks according to a number of well-placed sources with knowledge of the deal.

His appointment as coach was perhaps the worst-kept secret in American soccer: Klinsmann publicly acknowledged that he was interested in the job and there has been persistent buzz since the World Cup ended in July that the interview process for the national team job was essentially a matter of going through the motions.

Warren Mersereau, who is both Klinsmann's business partner and representative, said "no comment" when contacted for this story.

There were two sticking points in signing Klinsmann: The first was Klinsmann's long relationship with adidas. The U.S. national soccer team is heavily underwritten by Nike, and sources at the shoewear companies said talk of the appointment initially caused some concern. According to a person connected with the shoe company today, Klinsmann has left adidas, solving the issue in one fell swoop.

The second issue looks to be more contentious. Speaking on condition of anonymity granted because they were not given permission to speak about the appointment, two sources confirmed that the issue of power-sharing was a major bone of contention. Former coach Bruce Arena had carved out a wide swath for himself during his tenure, and Klinsmann has reportedly demanded that he too be essentially the sole decision-maker on national team matters.

This has not sat well with some at the Federation, who were mindful of past friction. According to several people at the team level with intimate knowledge of the subject, relations between General Secretary Dan Flynn and Arena deteriorated to the point that the two men barely spoke to one another.

(Continued)

http://msn.foxsports.com/soccer/story/6227768?CMP=OTC-K9B140813162&ATT=2737

Perfect. :tup: Klinsmann is the perfect candidate to help jumpstart our football.

And in regard to one of those "issues," it would be ridiculous NOT to give Jürgen total control of the football proceedings at the highest level in this country.

Buy on AliExpress.com

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
gray said:
Not a fan of DaMarcus Beasley or Eddie Pope, huh?
I figure he wouldn't be afraid to speak his mind... and put that Eddie Johnson in his place. :p

And that hair... imagine the header drills!

Vinman

2013 Prediction Cup Champ
Jul 16, 2002
if Klinsmann hires the same firm out of Arizona that helped with the conditioning of the German NT during the WC, then at least the Americans will be the most fit team out there...

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
Depends on your definition of fit [/cheap]

Anywho, if you wanna get somewhere you let a German take charge. Smart move.

gray said:
Not a fan of DaMarcus Beasley or Eddie Pope, huh?
Nobody should be. Can't even get a respectable form going in the Eredivisie for God's sake...

Max

Jul 15, 2003
Wow, the States are going to be REAL contenders now, instead of all the hyped-up bullshit that they had during the last World Cup. They've got real young, talented players, and they have a superb coach. I would expect them to succeed under Klinsmann's rule...er...I mean guidance.

Hey, if Lippi's looking for a real coaching challenge, I'm sure the CSA would be more than happy to accomodate him. Yeah, I wish.

OP
Bjerknes

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
  • Thread Starter #17
    Vinman said:
    if Klinsmann hires the same firm out of Arizona that helped with the conditioning of the German NT during the WC, then at least the Americans will be the most fit team out there...
    Not to mention the most fearless. That's what I admire about Klinsmann, and this is how our National Team should be taught to play.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)